FACTPILE IS BACK!!!
CLICK HERE TO SEE FOR YOURSELF
Take a Tour of the Admin's Mancave

Gamer Gate

Like the name implies, this is the place to talk about whatever’s on your noodle.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Gamer Gate

Postby TheSorrow » Sun Oct 19, 2014 2:56 am

The premise of this subject is simple: What are your thoughts, if any, do you have on what's been happening on the Internet concerning gaming culture these past few months?
"You can either fight at my side, or get crushed under my heel. But you will NOT stand in my way."

TheSorrow
Relentless Rebuke

Re: Gamer Gate

Postby Skarlet » Sun Oct 19, 2014 2:16 pm

I really, really don't give a shit.
You and me, baby, ain't nothing but mammals, so let's do it like they do on the Discovery Channel!
Skarlet
I Am the Highway

Postby TheSorrow » Sun Oct 19, 2014 4:17 pm

Skarlet wrote:I really, really don't give a shit.

Mhm mhm, and how does that make you feel?
"You can either fight at my side, or get crushed under my heel. But you will NOT stand in my way."

TheSorrow
Relentless Rebuke

Postby Ruliya » Sun Oct 19, 2014 6:41 pm

So basically, a whore named Zoe Quinn fucked 5 guys... that's it, that's gamer gate, a girl was a whore. Oh, wait, hang on... So the boyfriend decided to out her whore-ishness on the internet, as jilted exes tend to do, because she slept with 5 guys, while she was with a guy. However, Zoe apparently amounts cheating on your SO as basically Rape, or mind rape, or something, but due to her double standards, didn't care about her 'raping' the guy when she cheated on him... 5 times.

Oh, but it got more interesting, because Zoe Quinn makes games... I say games, the one she put out Depression Quest isn't actually a game... really. But I digress. The guys she slept with were journalists, sooo gaming journalism was thrown into disrepute. Oh dear... journalists being corrupt and douchey? That's never happened before...

Aaaaanyway, turns out, because Zoe Quinn is a Female, and a Game... um... Text based.... thing... developer, 2 things happened. 1: The Feminazi's, like Anita Sakreesian latched on and decried this as Sexism of the highest order, in fact, so bad was it, that it was basically rape... of the entire female gender. And 2: It's to do with games, ergo, games are fucking evil. I mean, all these basement dweller guys attacking a woman on the internet, it's all games fault, and games should just die already, or at least... gamers.

That's about as far as I went with it, I'd considered the retardation of the whole matter to have... been pushed to the side. What do I think of it? The world is full of fucking morons. Nothing new there then.
http://protogonus.deviantart.com/ - My Art, such as it is.

Ruliya
Utopia Overlord

Postby TheSorrow » Sun Oct 19, 2014 10:38 pm

The main thing I have gathered from the entire ordeal is that most media outlets are doing the best to tell only one side of the story, which of course is "OMG this woman is being oppressed! Lets talk about only that for the entire time and if someone tries to bring up her shady business, tell them they are misogynist pigs who only want to harass her for her clearly unethical behavior!" Because you know, women should be protected at all times, never criticized

TheSorrow
Relentless Rebuke

Postby Megaraptor18 » Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:57 pm

I don't trust journalists (real journalists or gaming journalists) anyways so I didn't have a reaction nor opinion to this.
It's only funny until someone gets hurt...then it's hilarious!

Megaraptor18
Site Admin

Postby TheSorrow » Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:26 pm

Certain websites tried to associate the word "gamer" as something to be ashamed of. They also vastly underestimated how many people would take offense to it. They are trying to everythimg in their power to laabel Gamer Gate as a hate group. Even going so far as to use MSNBC to push their own agenda. Most people are wise enough to realize that they are intentionally leaving out details and purposely avoiding those who support Gamer Gate. Apparently an honest debate is too high brow for them.

TheSorrow
Relentless Rebuke

Postby Ruliya » Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:19 am

When have they ever thought Gamers were 'good' ?

http://protogonus.deviantart.com/ - My Art, such as it is.

Ruliya
Utopia Overlord

Postby Megaraptor18 » Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:19 am

Ruliya wrote:When have they ever thought Gamers were 'good' ?

Pretty much I can't wait to see what they say 10 years from now.
It's only funny until someone gets hurt...then it's hilarious!

Megaraptor18
Site Admin

Postby TheSorrow » Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:57 am

Ruliya wrote:When have they ever thought Gamers were 'good' ?

That image does a great job highlighting this entire thing. What I don't get it though, is why this getting any real attention, we already had Jack Thompson try and convince us that games teach us how to kill. Now we have Anita Sarkeesian who basically saying the exact same thing, only this time she is saying it's teaching us to be misogynists. The only difference between the two is apparently Anita knows exactly what to do to gain sympathy by continually reminding everyone that what she is doing results in constant threats.

TheSorrow
Relentless Rebuke

Next

Return to ShoutBox