FACTPILE IS BACK!!!
CLICK HERE TO SEE FOR YOURSELF
Take a Tour of the Admin's Mancave

Musicians

Let the tunes reign supreme here!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Musicians

Postby CGNefarious » Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:35 am

Any pilers here play any instruments? If so, what instruments do you play? What styles? What's your current rig/set up? What are your main inspirations and such? What are *insert another generic music question here*?

I currently play the guitar for my main instrument. I sometimes even like to pretend I'm good at it. I've got an Epiphone Les Paul Custom which I've rewired, changed the pots to a more linear version for better control, and put in a D-Sonic in the bridge and an Air Norton in the deck. I've also got a Schecter Hellraiser Special of some sort with EMGs. Honestly I'm not a huge fan of the EMGs. They sound a little too noisy to me, but they're not bad. As far as an amp my main baby is a Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster. I got the combo thinking it would be a little more mobile, and boy was I wrong. Even if it has wheels, it still weights 90 pounds and can't be separated for a lighter load. My stomp boxes are all Boss, and include a digital EQ, noise gate, and boost. I've got the Vox Satriani wah and the Line 6 M13. Also have an old DigiTech JamMan looper and an eBow that is pretty fun to mess around with.

I also play a bit of bass, but I've only got a cheap Ibanez bass and Acoustic 20W amp. I like to play sometimes, but usually I'll switch to guitar shortly afterwards anyway.

As for drums, well I went a little overboard seeing as how I consider myself to still be learning them. I've got a Yamaha Absolute Custom Birch set (3x tom, 2x floor tom, 1x bass) with a Black Beauty snare. I bought this right before I deployed, so I haven't even been able to play this yet. My list of cymbals include a Zildjian ZBT 18"
Sabian AAXplosion crash 18", a Wuhan 10", a Sabian AAX splash 10", an Istanbul Agop Sultan splash 10", a Sabian Terry Bozzio Radia 9", a Saluda V Bell 5", and a Paiste Sound Edge high hat. The bass pedal is a Iron Cobra double. I will finish building this set once I get back to the states. I also have a Yamaha DTXplorer electronic drum set, which I have been using to learn.

I've also been told I'm pretty handy with the recorder, though I do not currently own one.

I mainly play rock and metal. I'm starting to branch out and get better at acoustic stuff and finger picking on the guitar, but that's still a bit out of my comfort zone. As for inspiration, I've been told my writing sounds a lot like a mixture of Metallica and Dream Theater, but I'm no where near as talented as the latter, so I don't see it myself. When doing leads I try to add a little neoclassical influence, which may or may not always work. My tone is heavily dictated by my Mesa. I go for that heavy yet clean mid-scooped tone that you hear in a lot of Petrucci's heavier stuff. For cleans, I honestly just mess around and go with whatever I think sounds best at the time. I do like the Roadster's clean channels a lot better than the previous Rectifiers, but I didn't spend nearly as much time trying to perfect my clean tone as I did my high gain tone.
If there is one thing I can't stand, it's intolerance.
CGNefarious
FactPiler

Re: Musicians

Postby krazycrismore » Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:43 am

Not much to add as far as instruments go, other than being able to do a wide range of harsh vocals. I just wanted to say that I do enjoy the heavy yet clean tones that Petrucci uses, such as on In the Presence of my Enemies, The Glass Prison, and A Nightmare to Remember. If you are comfortable with it, maybe you could link some of your material. I would be willing to critique it, without being very harsh.
"One miracle, my lord. Delivered as requested. That should hold them back for a few hours. Long enough?"
-Androl Genhald
krazycrismore
J's Sammich Wench

Postby CGNefarious » Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:56 am

When I get back to the states I'll do some recordings and post them. I've got Sonar Studio 8, but I can't say I'm any good with it. I do have a few crappy recordings up on Facebook from back when I was in Korea a few years ago. These were played on said Epi Les Paul and a Line 6 Spider II 15 watter. I like the spiders for beginners and such, but I can never get a decent tone out of them.

This first one is just something I wrote to test out my recording software. I wasn't happy with the results, so I kinda quit, resolving to pick it up again when I got back to the states. Unfortunately I never did. I played the rhythm and lead, my friend filled in on the drums. I know, the drum track is pretty awful, but it worked for my purposes at the time. The guitar might not be some of my best work, but it isn't my worst either.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=438875939066&set=vb.617454066&type=3&theater

This next video is almost too embarrassing to post. I was testing out recording on my webcam (this was before I got Sonar) and decide to play a bit of a Malmsteen song I was learning. Obviously I wasn't prepared to play it. The whole song is a bit out of my league anyway. Kudos to anyone who recognizes it.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=430802484066&set=vb.617454066&type=3&theater

Please, be gentle...
CGNefarious
FactPiler

Postby krazycrismore » Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:52 am

The first video seems like it would fit very well as an intro to an Ouroboros, Melodic/Technical Deathrash, song with a bit more extended notes than usual. Made me think of this intro in particular. Which is saying something since Ouroborous is one of this decade's bands that I am most impressed with. The second video was unavailable for me. I am interested in hearing some more of your material.
"One miracle, my lord. Delivered as requested. That should hold them back for a few hours. Long enough?"
-Androl Genhald
krazycrismore
J's Sammich Wench

Postby krazycrismore » Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:20 am

Now that I have you added as a friend that video is available. Without knowing what the original sounds like I can't give a completely accurate critique of the piece, but other than a few errors it seemed like a pretty clean performance. The only Malmsteen that I can recall having listened to is a few songs from Rising Force from back when I was really into Power Metal.
-Androl Genhald
krazycrismore
J's Sammich Wench

Postby CGNefarious » Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:16 am

Apparently I had that video set to friends only. It's fixed now. And there were a little more than a few errors in that video, but to be fair Malmsteen is no real slouch in his playing. This one actually was from Rising Force, the only album of his I actually consider worth listening to. After that he gets too full of himself and all his music turns to crap. Still, he's a far better guitarist than I'll ever be.

I've actually wrote a lot more to go with that first intro piece. It's funny you call it Deathrash. An old guitarist buddy of mine and I use to call that "the thrash riff" and have both written what we call "the thrash song" based off of it. When I get back to Washington I'll make it a point to finish the song, record it, and post it here. I can neither sing nor write lyrics, so you'll have to use your imagination for that part of it at least. I can't access youtube to check out that song you posted, but I'll make sure to check out that band whenever I get the chance. If the write anything like I do, then they obviously have impeccable taste in music.

I posted videos of my playing, now where are yours of your harsh vocals?
CGNefarious
FactPiler

Postby krazycrismore » Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:14 am

I don't have a decent mic to use. If I get one I will do a couple of vocal covers. I am thinking Dissection, Opeth, and maybe Vader.
-Androl Genhald
krazycrismore
J's Sammich Wench

Postby ptaine » Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:08 pm

I mostly play anything with strings since once you’ve played one they’re practically the same. I started off playing the cello, but I picked up the guitar a few years later and once I got out of school that’s pretty much all I play now.

I’ve never been one for the specs and all that, but I have an LTD with EMGs and a Peavey Ultra halfstack. I have several Digitech pedals: Two distortions (the metal one and another I can’t remember the name of), a chorus, delay, phaser and reverb. I also have a Boss distortion pedal that pretty much has all the pedals they’ve made in one. I started off playing a Squire Strat which was basically garbage. I also have a shitton of PA equipment mics, speakers, mixing boards, etc…, and a condenser mic for recording.

Lately though I mostly play acoustic because it’s easier. I don’t have all my equipment set up anymore because I haven’t played in a band for a couple of years. I have a Jasmine (Like Epiphone is to Gibson, Jasmine is to Takamine) which is not the greatest, but it is familiar so I like it a lot. I also have a Seagull 12-string which is pretty fun. And some brand of a classical guitar. The newest thing I’ve been playing is a Mandolin and my brother has an acoustic bass I play from time to time.

I’d say Metallica and Sevendust are two of my main influences when I doodle on the guitar. I do like a lot of technoish styles, not so much the electronic sound but more the structure in terms of repetitive motifs if that makes any sense. A lot of bluesy type riffs also creep in when I’m doodling around as well. My playing also tends to evolve with whatever I happen to be listening to at the time, not really emulating whoever it is perfectly but in adding some technique or something like that to the base of how I already play. Since I have been playing acoustic though I have been listening to a lot of Folk, Bluegrass, Jazz, and Orchestral music which have creeped into my playing to varying degrees.
I'm not talking to myself, I'm just the only one who's listening...
ptaine
Freak On A Leash

Postby CGNefarious » Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:59 am

I seriously need to pick up a mandolin...

I'm not a huge fan of Squire either. Or Fender for that matter. My first guitar was a Lotus Stratocaster that was given to me by a guy I barely new. He had just bought a new guitar and didn't want that pos any more, and I was left handed and wanted to learn to play, so he just gave it to me. Nice guy. I never even learned to play the thing until years later.
CGNefarious
FactPiler

Postby ka-tet19 » Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:19 am

oh yay music! i play metal music. i play guitar, viola, and bass. also i can do both clean and brutal vocals
whatever becomes has already happened before the after thought began at all
ka-tet19
Ready For Action

Next

Return to Music