FACTPILE IS BACK!!!
CLICK HERE TO SEE FOR YOURSELF
Take a Tour of the Admin's Mancave

Concert Experiences

Let the tunes reign supreme here!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Concert Experiences

Postby ptaine » Sat Jun 16, 2012 10:08 pm

So, I’ve been curious about factpilers live concert experience. Favorite live concert, first concert, most impressive live experience overall, etc…

I’ve been to a few concerts and I can’t pick just one so I’ll give a few of mine. My absolute favorite band is Sevendust. I’ve seen them a few different times but the one that stands out is when I saw them with Taproot. I’ve never been impressed with Taproots radio stuff but live they were awesome, and Sevendust closing out that show was icing on the cake.

I also went to Family Values when Evanescence and Korn were headlining. The likes of Atreyu, Flyleaf, and Hell Yeah opened which surprisingly enough for me was awesome. Atreyu was rather flat, but that little girl Lacey tore up the stage for Flyleaf, and Hell Yeah was larger than life with Vinnie Paul playing the drums. Korn was rather unspectacular even though they were still good, But Evanescence kicked ass with their new drummer and guitarist from Dark New Day.

My first concert was Earthday Birthday in Orlando headlined by Sevendust and Three Doors Down. I didn’t get to see them, but Doubledrive and Jimmies Chicken Shack were two of my favorite bands from the 90’s that I got to see that blew me away with their stage presence.

And for the most impressive concert I’ve seen. I got to see Dreamtheater in Denver with Zappa plays Zappa. I was completely and utterly overwhelmed by the total display of musicianship displayed by both bands. Absolutely stunning doesn’t even begin to describe the experience, but it was a start.

So anyway, what say you?

*EDIT* Also as part of the ect. I meant to put if there was any performances anyone wanted to see in the future.
I'm not talking to myself, I'm just the only one who's listening...
ptaine
Freak On A Leash

Re: Concert Experiences

Postby JMT » Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:46 pm

First concert: Journey and Foreigner in Charlotte for my 14th birthday...awesome.
I'll make him an offer he can't refuse. - Vito Corleone, The Godfather
JMT
Ready For Action

Postby theobserver » Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:38 pm

Don't remember going to a lot of concerts. I've been to a Thousand Foot Krutch concert 2 years ago, and a friend talked me into going to a Hedley concert this year. I'm really hoping I make it to the Linkin Park concert this Sunday. I somehow managed to miss one of their concerts over 4 years ago when they performed with Billy Talent and I've been regretting that ever since. Really hoping there's still tickets left.
theobserver
Harvester of Sorrow

Postby Matapiojo » Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:57 am

ptaine wrote:My absolute favorite band is Sevendust.

Motherfucker! Can you believe that I lived in the Orlando/Ft Laud area for five years and I NEVER took an oportunity to see Sevendust? I love them, but the stars never aligned for me to catch a show. ...I KNOW! They play at least 2-3 times a year there. FOR SHAME!

One of my greatest regrets.

I find Sevendust fans are rare outside of FL, so I am incredibly glad to learn you are one. Same goes for Jimmi's Chicken Shack. They are fantastic.

As for my own experiences, best show I've been so far was (and I hate that I forgot the name) a "festival" in PR headlined by Puya. It was incredible. Puya was the only band I really dug out of the lineup, but the vibe of the event was just too full of win. Cafe Tacva, and other top hispanic bands played, but Puya fucking destroyed.

Metallica and Tool shows respectively are also close to the top of my list, but my most recent show was particularly memorable because it was so personal. Monsters of Death passed through Baltimore in 2009 (yes, I am aware that is a shameful long time ago to be my most recent show) and played Rams Head Live's small stage. Vader headlined it, and they ruled the night, but Warbringer (a personal favorite) and Swashbuckler (a sneaky surprise) really delivered some thrash greatness. The other bands sucked, but those three generated some epic pits. It may have been that I hadn't been in a pit for over a decade, but I loved being back in the thick of it with my brothers in metal once more.
AquilaChrysaetos wrote:Don't make mata mad. Or he'll do this:\
Matapiojo
Site Admin

Postby Jwlynas » Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:51 am

I've only been to a few gigs (Cher, Britney Spears, Linkin Park, Nickelback three times, Blackstone Cherry, Shinedown... I know, it's getting better isn't it.), and by far the best was Nickelback. Whatever your views of their music, they put on ONE HELL of a show, with t-shirt firing guns, epic explosions, covers of metallia and ACDC, and some excellent banter. Highly recommended.

Might have to make one of these over somewhere for Stand-up comics...
Jwlynas
Zombie Eater

Postby Matapiojo » Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:54 am

Jwlynas wrote:(Cher, Britney Spears, Linkin Park, Nickelback three times, Blackstone Cherry, Shinedown... I know, it's getting better isn't it.)

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!

Yes. Yes it is.
AquilaChrysaetos wrote:Don't make mata mad. Or he'll do this:\
Matapiojo
Site Admin

Postby SmilinJack » Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:13 pm

Jwlynas wrote:I've only been to a few gigs (Cher, Britney Spears, Linkin Park, Nickelback three times, Blackstone Cherry, Shinedown... I know, it's getting better isn't it.), and by far the best was Nickelback. Whatever your views of their music, they put on ONE HELL of a show, with t-shirt firing guns, epic explosions, covers of metallia and ACDC, and some excellent banter. Highly recommended.

Might have to make one of these over somewhere for Stand-up comics...

I envy you, J. While I can't call them my favorite band, they'll always have a special place.
Hope for the best. Plan for the worst.
SmilinJack
Utopia Overlord

Postby ptaine » Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:08 pm

theobserver wrote:I'm really hoping I make it to the Linkin Park concert this Sunday. I somehow managed to miss one of their concerts over 4 years ago when they performed with Billy Talent and I've been regretting that ever since. Really hoping there's still tickets left.

That happens to me alot. Slipknot is always sold out within the first few minutes of tickets going on sale and I’ve wanted to see them for awhile (I did see Stone Sour though). Or, life happens and I can’t go, my most recent was Avenged Sevenfold with Mike Portnoy. Well them and Epica. Hopefully Linkin Park is in the cards for you this time around.

Matapiojo wrote:I find Sevendust fans are rare outside of FL, so I am incredibly glad to learn you are one. Same goes for Jimmi's Chicken Shack. They are fantastic.

I know what you mean. Even most of my friends didn’t know about Sevendust before I introduced them, and then they attended the concerts with me. That pretty much cemented their fandom at that point, even my sister was hooked. It’s too bad you haven’t been able to see them.

I never really heard of Puya before, but from the youtube song I heard, if their vibe was anything close to that I can see how that would be a cool show.

And, Metallica, I’ve wanted to see them for awhile but I’ve never gotten to see them either. My last show was about a year or so ago unfortunately but it was really cool just for the weirdness of it. Killswitch Engage was headlining (Really, really close to being my favorite band I’ve seen live when I saw them with Disturbed), but the Orlando show Howard had some……trouble I guess, it was never really clear, and was unable to perform so they canceled until the next day. Adam Dutkiewicz got his friend from All That Remains to sing, who was up for the job when Jesse Leach left, which ended up being a really awesome show.

Jwlynas wrote:I've only been to a few gigs (Cher, Britney Spears, Linkin Park, Nickelback three times, Blackstone Cherry, Shinedown... I know, it's getting better isn't it.), and by far the best was Nickelback. Whatever your views of their music, they put on ONE HELL of a show, with t-shirt firing guns, epic explosions, covers of metallia and ACDC, and some excellent banter. Highly recommended

I mean, I can't say that I would ever want to see those shows, but can definitely see how the show is there for them.
I'm not talking to myself, I'm just the only one who's listening...
ptaine
Freak On A Leash

Postby theobserver » Mon Sep 03, 2012 4:17 pm

ptaine wrote:Hopefully Linkin Park is in the cards for you this time around.

Thanks :) I actually managed to make it into the concert with a pretty decent spot. Gotta say it was absolutely amazing. The weather was pretty bad before the concert, with the weird almost moody rain transitions in Edmonton. Thankfully by the time that nighttime hit, the skies were clear, the streets were dry and the wind wasn't blasting too much anymore. The amount of people singing along at certain parts was just incredibly insane. There were a few attempted mosh pits, but it's a good thing I moved out of the way before things got too crazy. I'm still exhausted from it. I can't believe it was just last night. With school starting again in two days, this makes for one HELL of an awesome start!
theobserver
Harvester of Sorrow

Postby Captain Epic » Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:28 pm

theobserver wrote:Don't remember going to a lot of concerts. I've been to a Thousand Foot Krutch concert 2 years ago, and a friend talked me into going to a Hedley concert this year. I'm really hoping I make it to the Linkin Park concert this Sunday. I somehow managed to miss one of their concerts over 4 years ago when they performed with Billy Talent and I've been regretting that ever since. Really hoping there's still tickets left.

Thousand Foot Krutch is awesome! I would love to see them live.
Captain Epic
Honorary Avenger

Next

Return to Music