FACTPILE IS BACK!!!
CLICK HERE TO SEE FOR YOURSELF
Take a Tour of the Admin's Mancave

What is your worldview?

Your section to do whatever.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Re: What is your worldview?

Postby Soulerous » Sun Aug 17, 2014 1:34 pm

Hermit wrote:At first glance it looks like more of a moral question than a religious one, but we only need to look at the teachings of Jesus to understand that it is very much a religious question.

If the religion teaches morality, like in this example, I'd say it's the same thing. I get what you're saying; just as knowledge would be useless without the power to use it, so would using it be futile if we used it wrongfully.

Some are quick to point out that many (though not all) ethical philosophies are not dependent on religion, do not need it. This is true, and is a rather beautiful thing about morality. Even so, religion can encourage morality and that's a worthwhile thing in my eyes.
Soulerous
Labled Incurable

Postby Mea quidem sententia » Sun Aug 17, 2014 5:18 pm

I personally think if you have to follow a religion to have morals, then it implies that you'd be immoral without religion. I think people should be moral, simply because they're empathetic. One might associate, "Treat others the way you want to be treated", with religion, but that isn't necessarily a religious thing. One might say it has religious roots, but that's like saying math has Indian roots. I'd say itk4 just of human origin stemming from empathy.

I don't ascribe to a religion, clearly, but I suppose for some, religion can offer social validation, structure, morals, &c. That could be beneficial for some. For others, they might find theirs in various things like philosophy, groups, and so on. For me, religion is something I don't need. I can find a sense of awe in the Universe that presents itself in a way one might call "spiritual". Of course, I like getting into religious discussions.
Mea quidem sententia
Ready For Action

Postby TheSorrow » Sun Aug 17, 2014 5:23 pm

If you look at human empathy from a evolutionary standpoint, it makes complete sense as to why we were able to prosper so much in the last few thousand years. We even see evidence of empathy in other species. We have a built in "moral" code that allows to aid those that are less fortunate than we are.
"You can either fight at my side, or get crushed under my heel. But you will NOT stand in my way."

TheSorrow
Relentless Rebuke

Postby Skarlet » Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:46 pm

Mea quidem sententia wrote:I can find a sense of awe in the Universe that presents itself in a way one might call "spiritual". Of course, I like getting into religious discussions.

Might be what you're looking for.
You and me, baby, ain't nothing but mammals, so let's do it like they do on the Discovery Channel!
Skarlet
I Am the Highway

Postby TheSorrow » Mon Aug 18, 2014 11:29 pm

I've never really understood the word "spiritualism", I find it to be such an ambiguous term, same with the "soul". The soul just seems like the proto-definition to what we understand the mind to be.
"You can either fight at my side, or get crushed under my heel. But you will NOT stand in my way."

TheSorrow
Relentless Rebuke

Postby Ruliya » Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:47 am

While I'm not really bothered to stating my views, I did have a conversation with a friend. Their views will be quoted below.

Ruliya's Friend wrote:I think absolutely everything is completely devoid of meaning or purpose excepting those you choose to apply to them. For example I think life is merely a biochemical accident and thus has no purpose, but I don't kill myself because I chose to apply a personal purpose to my own life, namely having fun and being happy. And I don't see the lives of others to be important unless they have to do with either my entertainment or my happiness. To clarify I don't regard other people as useless objects, it's that I only believe in subjective meaning so I think the lives of others are not my problem/business. They can do what they wish so long as they don't interfere with my personal purpose, and if they die I don't care because that's their problem.
http://protogonus.deviantart.com/ - My Art, such as it is.

Ruliya
Utopia Overlord

Postby Soulerous » Sun Aug 24, 2014 1:59 am

I think disregard for human life is disgusting and profane. Base and contemptible. Vile and abominable.

I think the notion that truth is relative is insane and irrational. Factless and senseless. Ludicrous and absurd.

I think truth is truth and untruth is untruth. Our lack of knowledge implies a lack of knowledge and nothing else.

I'm in a mood, but I don't think emotion justifies doing something wrong either.

There, that's my world view.
Soulerous
Labled Incurable

Postby Hermit » Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:42 am

An addition to my world-view.

3.) God wants us to question Him, because of two things:

a. That's the only way to progress. Jesus shares His lessons in parables specifically because He wants the people to think about what He is saying. Blindly following a philosophy while ignoring everything else is stupid and not really very religious.

b. You appreciate His creations more. We can smile all we want at how a tree grows or a cloud drifts, but I am sure we are much more appreciative when we actually know how they work.
Hermit
All Secrets Known

Postby Evil muNki » Tue Sep 09, 2014 5:27 am

It's pretty shitty innit.
Evil muNki
All Secrets Known

Postby Soulerous » Wed Sep 10, 2014 2:28 am

Soulerous
Labled Incurable

PreviousNext