FACTPILE IS BACK!!!
CLICK HERE TO SEE FOR YOURSELF
Take a Tour of the Admin's Mancave

What is your worldview?

Your section to do whatever.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

What is your worldview?

Postby Mea quidem sententia » Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:16 pm

Worldview can refer to religious/theological, theistic/non-theistic, philosophical, social views, &c. Feel free to post how you came about to your views.

I originally held a Christian view on life and became deeply interested in Christian theology. My two, main personal studies involved trinitarianism and Calvinistic soteriology. The latter greatly affected how I perceived myself and instead of feeling assured of my salvation, I felt a great sorrow of where I might end up hereafter. Some words from Martin Luther temporarily eased this sorrow.

Over time, my lack of church attendance led to lack of reading the Bible and praying, but I tried returning to it eventually. The passion seemed to have burned out. As I leaned towards a more Jewish interpretation of the Tanakh (Old Testament), I found myself entering a study of interest concerning the ancient Near East.

Somewhere within that timeframe, I left Christianity, but I still believed in Yahweh. Of course, if I did, that meant I still would believe in his teachings. I couldn't divorce the two. I then became a polytheist so that Yahweh was just a minor god as he was in Canaanite pantheon, but I had no writings about the chief god, El. I ended up becoming a deist, thoguh the words of atheists offered good arguments, demonstrating gods were artifacts.

As a result, I took the position of a pantheist, a combination of atheism and theism, and lack of worry about the Euthyphro dilemma. Then one night, upon realizing howw Nature was anything but kind to males, I told her to fuck off. This, too, wasn't worth my awe. So, here I am. I identify as a non-religious ignostic.

I don't ascribe to scientism, as I think philosophy can be of some use to answering questions around the world. What I prefer about science, however, is that it is provisional, so it can only get better. I suppose I would be considered an empiricist, but I don't give that much thought. There you have it.

Feel free to share, and please try not to rile those with differing views.
Mea quidem sententia
Ready For Action

Re: What is your worldview?

Postby TheSorrow » Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:15 pm

My world view is primarily secular, with religion slowly becoming less and less relevant with each decade. At the end of the day, the one thing we should always rely on is each other. We are stuck on this planet with one another with very little options for expansion, so I think it's in our very best interests to get along. Religion, in my mind, is just one more thing that gets in the way of mankind uniting under a singular purpose of improving the overall quality of our lives.

On the other hand, Science has and continues to be the one thing that consistently brings positive results in the long run. Science doesn't tell you how to think, what morals are the most objectively correct, nor does it try and comfort you with promises of a perfect utopia. What it does give is the most valuable asset a human can have, knowledge. The more knowledge we accrue, the better equipped we are to deal with the inevitable problems that will come our way.

I think faith is impractical, and I take very little of what I think about on it, but if there is one thing that I have faith in, it's humanity. I believe it's absolutely critical for everyone to trust one another as much as they can, to raise our abilities to comprehend the troubles that surround us. If we can get over the monumental hurdle of cultural, gender, and ethnic bias' that have held us back so long, I know that we can finally get to work on the real issues. So if there anything I could call myself, it's a "secular humanist".
"You can either fight at my side, or get crushed under my heel. But you will NOT stand in my way."

TheSorrow
Relentless Rebuke

Postby Mister Teal » Wed Aug 13, 2014 5:58 am

99% a "who cares?" guy, 1% science-fan. I've got no beef with religion, but I figure prayer isn't getting me a hover car. Also I enjoy weapons and smog -- both science
Mister Teal
Psychotron

Postby Skarlet » Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:43 pm

I work for the United States government. There's my worldview.
You and me, baby, ain't nothing but mammals, so let's do it like they do on the Discovery Channel!
Skarlet
I Am the Highway

Postby Hermit » Sun Aug 17, 2014 2:08 am

My worldview?

1.God is there to help, but don't be an ass and leave everything to Him.

I go to church every Sunday, but most of my religious views stem not from formal lectures in mass, but from conversations with seminarians, priests, and pastors that I meet and/or am good friends with. I believe that science and religion don't have to be contradictory. Science provides us with knowledge of how things work and why they work, but religion gives us the wisdom to know what to do with this knowledge. I think it's pretty stupid that there are people who think that you cannot be religious when you're scientific and critical minded, and that you're an idiot for believing in a supreme being.

I mean, what the Ten Commandments and what Jesus said pretty much encompasses everything that faith is. "Love God with all your heart, mind, and soul". You cannot love Him with your mind if you don't have knowledge of the wonders that He gave to us in the first place, and science is the key to that knowledge.

Science makes our lives easier, religion (genuine religion, not ultra-conservative bullshit) gives us good advice on how to live our lives, what's so contradictory about that?

2. Respect others.

Especially their opinion. You'll get a chance to prove that your opinion is better eventually, but don't try to force your beliefs into someone just because they disagree with you. Revenge is a dish best served cold, after all.
Hermit
All Secrets Known

Postby TheSorrow » Sun Aug 17, 2014 2:38 am

Hermit wrote:Science provides us with knowledge of how things work and why they work, but religion gives us the wisdom to know what to do with this knowledge.

Not too sure about what you mean by this. Could you give an example?
"You can either fight at my side, or get crushed under my heel. But you will NOT stand in my way."

TheSorrow
Relentless Rebuke

Postby Hermit » Sun Aug 17, 2014 7:27 am

We know that we can end the war in Afghanistan with a nuclear strike, but are we really going to do it?

At first glance it looks like more of a moral question than a religious one, but we only need to look at the teachings of Jesus to understand that it is very much a religious question. Jesus taught us to love our enemies as we love ourselves, and murdering them in cold blood (along with innocent people) is not a form of love.
Hermit
All Secrets Known

Postby Ruliya » Sun Aug 17, 2014 9:59 am

Not to turn this into a theological debate but... you can't say "Jesus is the son of God and we must look at his teachings to help in the middle east" when they don't believe that. Jesus isn't that in the Quran(Koran?) like he is the the Bible. To make it worse, It's sects within the Muslim community that the fighting is happening. Sunni vs Shiite. Like Catholics vs Protestants. It's a whole mix of crazy and bull. Thematically most religious texts preach peace and love. So why don't we, as humans, have faith in each other to be nice to everyone. Remove Religious Indoctrination from the equation altogether and you'd probably get better results.
http://protogonus.deviantart.com/ - My Art, such as it is.

Ruliya
Utopia Overlord

Postby Hermit » Sun Aug 17, 2014 10:31 am

Ruliya wrote:Not to turn this into a theological debate but... you can't say "Jesus is the son of God and we must look at his teachings to help in the middle east" when they don't believe that. Jesus isn't that in the Quran(Koran?) like he is the the Bible. To make it worse, It's sects within the Muslim community that the fighting is happening. Sunni vs Shiite. Like Catholics vs Protestants. It's a whole mix of crazy and bull. Thematically most religious texts preach peace and love. So why don't we, as humans, have faith in each other to be nice to everyone. Remove Religious Indoctrination from the equation altogether and you'd probably get better results.

That's pretty much my second world view, Respect Others. It's not that we have to remove religion, we just have to respect them and their traditions. If you cannot do that, you have no right to call yourself a religious person.

One of the best things that happened to my life was when I became roommates with a Buddhist, a Muslim, and a Protestant (I'm a proud Catholic) all at the same time. Those guys are really fun to hang out with and we always help each other out in homework and school projects.

I am absolutely not kidding with that above statement.
Hermit
All Secrets Known

Postby TheSorrow » Sun Aug 17, 2014 1:30 pm

Hermit wrote:We know that we can end the war in Afghanistan with a nuclear strike, but are we really going to do it?

I would have to argue that the reason we don't do it would be because the damage would exponentially increase the problems we have, not decrease them.

TheSorrow
Relentless Rebuke

Next

Return to Utopic Members