FACTPILE IS BACK!!!
CLICK HERE TO SEE FOR YOURSELF
Take a Tour of the Admin's Mancave

The Punishment Due

Know what's what in the worlds of the pile ranging from the Mainland, the Topia, and everything in between.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

The Punishment Due

Postby Matapiojo » Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:14 am

As most of you now know, Negative Zero was permanently banned form the Topia. No doubt this will be met with the full spectrum of responses, so I wanted to take this moment to both address some concerns and open the floor to any further inquiries.

Let me start by repeating myself - posting in FactPileTopia is not your birthright. You do not get to participate in these boards as a civil right owed to you. This is a service, a privilege; and as such, this service can be revoked to anyone, at any time. We do not even need a reason to do this. As a service provided by us, we may decline servicing you simply by not liking the way you make use of punctuation, syntax, posts subject, or even your chosen name. Further, just because it cost nothing out of your pockets to post, it doesn't mean its a free service. Respect is the valued currency around these parts, and every time you decide to post here, you are expected to pay up front.

For those interested, the summary of NZ's particular development will be encased in the spoiler below. If you are not interested in it, simply continue onward...

Spoiler
NZ was under the impression that he could post whatever he wanted, whenever he wanted. When he was informed this was not the case, he protested that HE was the one to decide that, and he continued down that road to ruin. He was given an opportunity to correct his ways within ongoing discussions; he ignored the opportunity. He was requested via PMs to correct his ways; he defied the request. This processed was repeated at least three times prior to him earning his first official warning. When that inevitably took place, he challenged it in all fronts, breaking the same rules he was warned against in the process. That earned him a temporary ban. Time passed, and he served his sentence, but decided to continue with the behavior that got him in trouble in the first place upon his return. We turned a blind eye to a good number of his infractions simply because we had not deemed anyone deserving a ban prior to him, and we didn't want to overdo it. Nevertheless, he continued with his disruption, which earned him a demotion of posting privileges.

Time passed, and his privileges were restored. And while his behavior did improve, it was far from acceptable. Complaints against him kept coming in, and the Team found itself scratching its collective heads as to how to deal with him. NZ never valued the opportunities that were granted, and so it came to the last straw being dumped on the camel's hump. He had been previously told how a certain type of thread would be allowed. For reasons that escape me, he was under the impression that time would have had those requirements be reversed. He was wrong. I corrected his mistake, and was met with vulgar defiance. That is one time too many I would tolerate his antics, particularly when I was one of the biggest advocates to allowing him to stay.

Thus he got a permanent ban from these boards. This is not reversible, no persuasion is required. Quite simply, he is no longer welcomed in these boards, and that is something he fully earned.

Despite this turn of events, I want to assure you that you all have a voice. While our stance against NZ will not change, you can certainly express your opinions here. In fact, I welcome such discussions. This is what helps us become a better community, and allows us to provide you with a better service. If you have a problem with a rule or our enforcement of it, bring it up to our attention and it will be addressed. You may be right, you may be wrong, we won't know that until the situation arises; what I can assure you won't be is ignored.

That being said, each of you has to consider whether or not this place and its rules suit your needs. Clearly, they didn't suit NZ despite him trying to bully his way into forcing the entire boards to fit them. While we are open to all discussions, you must accept that not everything will turn out your way. It didn't for him. If you are to decide this place is not for you, then I point you to the door for you to be on your merry way. The internet is vast, and there is sure to be a place for your needs to be met out there. We will always try to accommodate you as much as possible, but if we don't, there is comfort in knowing there are many other places for you to explore.

Some have already chosen to see just one side of this issue. Your loyalty, misguided as it may be, is admirable. If you feel like you have to stand beside that one anonymous voice, who is in the wrong, then have right at it. The Topia will be here should you ever decide otherwise. While posting here is not your right, NOT posting in here is and no one will try to take that away from you.

Consider the floor open, but be reminded of the price you are required to pay for service.
AquilaChrysaetos wrote:Don't make mata mad. Or he'll do this:\
Matapiojo
Site Admin

Re: The Punishment Due

Postby Xeno Dimentio » Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:39 am

Eh.
He had it coming.
He's now bitching to me via text about how your, and I quote, 'a power abusive cunt.' :lol:
He thinks youre going to take steps to ban him from the main site......
Hes a bit paranoid.....
Xeno Dimentio
Utopia Warlord

Postby Matapiojo » Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:04 am

He's broken rules here, not there. Contrary to his bias, I did not do this cause I am out to get him. I did this because it is what he earned. Unless he starts doing things over there that earn him a ban, he is quite safe. You can tell him that.
Matapiojo
Site Admin

Postby AquilaChrysaetos » Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:16 am

I'm not really that sad about Negative Zero leaving the topia. I understand and agree with the fact that what has been done is the best. I'm more sad about other people making judgements too early about it and leaving the topia because of it. I've yet to see any true conflict here that didn't have NZ involved. It would be a shame to lose more members over someone like this.
"Many wish they could be the sun, so the could brighten your day. I wish to be the moon, which shines down upon you on your darkest hour"
AquilaChrysaetos
Organ Grinder

Postby Deathtanker » Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:22 am

ZomBninjasamurai wrote: Since his last ban he has not initiated any arguments that I have seen.

-_-

Start with the comment linked and read on.

Then... honestly tell me that he was not being combative and didn't start the fight. I don't like having to bring this up, but Z, lets be honest - he was hardly innocent of the charges.
Robert Frost wrote:The best way out is always through.

Deathtanker
Canewielder

Postby Matapiojo » Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:40 am

I think admin said it best in Fire Grot Tim's thread...

admin wrote:NZ was given plenty of opportunity to correct his conduct. He chose not to.

The mods asked me how to handle it. I told them to wipe his account entirely.

But, they insisted on giving him a chance to correct himself. So, if anyone wants to complain about "moderators doing utter shitty things", I am the one that was ready to purge his existence not only from here, but from all of FactPile as well. The mods here are more than fair. Piss them off and don't take their warnings at your own risk.

It really all boils down to slapping the face of those who stand by you by breaking rules one too many times. There is a limit to how many times I will allow you to call me an "asshole, fucktard, cunt, etc" before I just don't feel like giving you any more opportunities. I can garantee you that he got at least three strikes before each of the punishments he received. That is three strikes before being given a warning, three strikes before being temp-banned, three strikes before being demoted, and three strikes before being perma-banned.

Can you honestly say he was bullied or discriminated against, by me and/or other members of the team, after we gave him no less than twelve strikes before taking him out?

If you DO think that was unfair, you are likely to have an incredibly sour stay in all of Pilerverse and should re-evaluate your participation in our community.
Matapiojo
Site Admin

Postby SmilinJack » Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:48 pm

I approve of the actions completely. His declining respect really angered me more than anything else in his post where he left and then even further when he came back and said he'd give FPT "another chance". I stayed unbiased in my posting as a mod, GM or not, should; and he pushed farther. I can't say I'm upset by it.

I have not once seen the mods being unfair on this site.
Hope for the best. Plan for the worst.
SmilinJack
Utopia Overlord

Postby Cpt Olimar » Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:02 pm

I think it's worth saying here, that nobody on the Moderation team wants this situation to become a "Mods + supporters" vs "NZ + supporters" showdown. Were you NZ's best friend? Awesome! We hope you continue to enjoy your stay here even though he is gone. Are you disgruntled that he was banned? You know what, we are too. We didn't want to feel forced to ban him. We were hoping for a win-win situation too.

Basically, I speak for all GMs, we have nothing against anyone who liked NZ and even still supports him. We are not on a witch-hunt to eliminate his supporters or provoke them in any way. If you are one of his friends and you feel that you are not welcome and decide to leave, we are disappointed but will readily welcome you back should you return. Ultimately, we only get upset when the rules are broken and especially when we are not treated with at least a minimal amount of respect. Considering how often rules are broken, and how often we are able to come to a clean, cooperative resolution, our behavior is simply not consistent with the observation of abuse and tyranny.
Sanctity Falls primary character - Felix
/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=70&start=0
"Without books, I might perhaps have been tougher; but an educated mind is neither insensitive nor callous"
-Cicero
Cpt Olimar
Utopia Overlord

Postby Captain Epic » Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:39 pm

Matapiojo wrote:As a service provided by us, we may decline servicing you simply by not liking the way you make use of punctuation, syntax, posts subject, or even your chosen name.

Not going to lie, this statement has me a tad bit nervous. I am not trying to ignite a big flame war. I approve of the actions the mods took. But that remark leaves me kind of scared.
Captain Epic
Honorary Avenger

Postby Mister Teal » Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:43 pm

I'm just the opposite, I want to give 'Piojo my Facebook password and vehicle identification number.
Mister Teal
Psychotron

Next

Return to News, Rules, & Updates