FACTPILE IS BACK!!!
CLICK HERE TO SEE FOR YOURSELF
Take a Tour of the Admin's Mancave

Ships and vehicles

Discuss all matters Wikipile.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Ships and vehicles

Postby CIDE » Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:07 pm

Has it ever been discussed to bring in a whole new section into the Wiki to cover the numerous ships and vehicles that come into play? I've already started (a little) to peak through old threads numerous times to find listed stats and numbers on various ship-types from the different sci-fi universes out there and it's getting a little redundant between that and looking through outside sources as well. That way not only will it make the debating process go easier but it will also help someone like Admin decide if a match was even worth posting just by looking at the information on the wiki.

I would've already started but I figured getting permission (and maybe some help first) would be a good idea.

Edit: To add to the above we could integrate the already existing mecha section into this alongside any specs we can find on exoskeleton systems. For instance; Space Marine armor, MJOLNIR, or Terran Marine armor.
Floor slippery when wet.
CIDE
FactPiler

Re: Ships and vehicles

Postby Matapiojo » Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:28 pm

Mecha Profiles

The section has been in place for some time, but there is still a matter of populating it propperly with all the categories it may require.
AquilaChrysaetos wrote:Don't make mata mad. Or he'll do this:\
Matapiojo
Site Admin

Postby CIDE » Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:35 pm

I already saw that section. It was somewhat limiting as most vehicles don't count as "mecha". Even the already existing categories under that link.

Edit: At least limited by the fact that there are only gundam/mobile suits/gear types listed there. The term "mecha" is kind of misleading.*

Thanks for the incredibly hasty response though.

P.S. Supernatural rocks.
Floor slippery when wet.
CIDE
FactPiler

Postby Matapiojo » Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:52 pm

It does.

And I modified the section to have more specific categories.

For the most part, mecha in FP is a blanket category for devices/tools, not just anime-type mecha. If you feel there needs to be more sections added, just let me know here or on the page's discussion tab.

As you can imagine, there are not that many people wishing to be actively involved in the wiki process. This is why everything on the site so far is incomplete, including that page.
Matapiojo
Site Admin

Postby CIDE » Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:56 pm

I completely understand. Hell, even my own interest in scouring factpile debates for ship information went up as soon as my free time to do so went down. Thanks for addressing this whole thing with me. I'll hopefully get to adding ships slowly one by one based on various FP debates and any information I can find from official sources.

Is there a specific template you had in mind for ships seeing how they have some rather unique qualities to them? FTL drives for instance, shields, etc?
Floor slippery when wet.
CIDE
FactPiler

Postby Matapiojo » Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:18 pm

How about you cook up a template here, we'll discuss it over, then I'll prepare it there?

I think there will be a different set of stats for a separate template for each one of those categories. We can start with Space Vehicles as I assume that is your immediate interest (and it is one of the more discussed items on the site).

To start off, we are looking for...
    Dimensions - wide/long/tall (prefferably in meters), weight (preferably in grams), mass (if data is available)
    Weapons - quantity, type, range
    Structure - skeleton, hull, materials, shields
    Engines - type(s), speeds (min/max)
    Load capacity
    Standard loadout
    Known variants

...what else?
Matapiojo
Site Admin

Postby Matapiojo » Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:20 pm

Also, It might be a good idea for you to create a Respect Thread for each vehicle here in the forums before loading them up to the wiki.

Browse around the section to get the feel for it. Respect threads add to credibility, and we want those as well documented as humanly possible.
Matapiojo
Site Admin

Postby CIDE » Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:26 pm

I was already thinking of just that. There were a few already that I noticed for respect threads. I like the layout you have there too. Crew and perhaps a section for "other systems" would be a good addition. Like the ability for Asgard ships to use their beaming technology offensively, time dilation, or ability to phase out. Or if a ship is capable of self-regeneration like Wraith, Necron, or Moira (Farscape, limited regen obviously).
Floor slippery when wet.
CIDE
FactPiler

Postby Matapiojo » Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:35 pm

Oh I am well aware of Moira. No need to point out her source!

Regardless, yea, I like that.

I honestly believe that the wiki is the strongest dormant power in the FP arsenal, and have done so from the start. I just haven't found enough individuals that share my sentiments to make it work as it should.

We need moar manpowa!

[EDIT] Also, I'm looking at the wookipedia specs for ships. I'll probably be extrapolating most of their specs into a FPW stylized template to show you. May not be finished today, though.
Matapiojo
Site Admin

Return to Wiki Development