FACTPILE IS BACK!!!
CLICK HERE TO SEE FOR YOURSELF
Take a Tour of the Admin's Mancave

UPDATED TEMPLATE 01/26/2016: Use this template.

Discuss all matters Wikipile.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

UPDATED TEMPLATE 01/26/2016: Use this template.

Postby Mea quidem sententia » Sat Dec 26, 2015 5:28 pm

Place an image of the character here, preferably an updated kind.

=='''Character'''==
'''Name:''' (Character's name.)

'''Alias(es):''' (List of nicknames.)

'''Origin:''' (What series?)

'''Affiliation:''' (Who is the character associated with?)

'''Species:''' (Is this character a human, alien, god?)

'''Age:''' (How old is the character? Guesstimates are acceptable.)

'''Height:''' (How tall is the character in meters?)

'''Weight:''' (What's the character's mass in kilograms?)

'''FactPile Tier:''' (What tier does the character fall under?)

=='''Powers & Abilities'''==
===Physical Strength===
'''Arm strength:''' (Strength needed for throwing.)

'''Bench press:''' (Lifting something heavy while lying down.)

'''Deadlift:''' (Lifting something heavy up to one’s hips.)

'''Leg press:''' (Strength needed for pushing a heavy object.)

'''Overhead press:''' (Lifting something over one’s head.)

'''Pushing/Pulling strength:''' (Strength needed to push and pull heavy objects.)

'''Striking strength:''' (How hard can one hit with a punch or kick?)

'''Vertical jump:''' (How high one can leap vertically.)

===Speed===
'''Reaction time:''' (x milliseconds, or microseconds, or nanoseconds, or petaseconds . . .)

'''Combat speed:''' (How many punches or kicks per minute?)

'''Running speed:''' (How fast can one run?)

'''Flight speed:''' (How fast can one fly?)

'''Swimming speed:''' (How fast can one swim?)

'''Vehicular speed:''' (How fast can one’s vehicle travel? Only applicable to those who have a vehicle.)

===Durability===
'''Brittleness:''' (Breaking upon insignificant stress. Glass is brittle.)

'''Compressive strength:''' (Resistance to being crushed before failure due to stress.)

'''Elasticity:''' (The ability to return to the original shape and size once stress is removed. Elastane can stretch and return to its original form when no stress is applied.)

'''Electrical resistivity:''' (Is the character resistant to electricity or conductive? Use Ω⋅m or ohm meter.)

'''Force:''' (How much force? Multiply newtons by 0.22481 to find pounds-force. Use kg m/s^2 or N.)

'''Hardness:''' (The ability to withstand scratching and indentation. Diamond is hard. Use kg/m s^2, or N/m^2, or P.)

'''Ionizing radiation:''' (Radiation, such as ultraviolet, x-rays, and gamma rays. Use kg m^2/s^2 / kg or J/kg to determine gray, or Gy.)

'''Kinetic energy:''' (How much energy behind a physical attack? Use kg m^2/s^2 or J.)

'''Malleability:''' (The ability to be shaped when hammered or pressed. Gold is malleable.)

'''Non-ionizing radiation:''' (Radiation, such as infrared, radio waves, and microwaves. Use kg m^2/s^2 / kg or J/kg to determine gray, or Gy.)

'''Plasticity:''' (The ability to deform permanently upon stress without fracturing. A dent in a car.)

'''Pressure:''' (How much force applied perpendicularly to the area? Use kg/m s^2, or N/m^2, or P.)

'''Shear strength:''' (Resistance to forces that can cause internal structure of the material to slide against itself.)

'''Stiffness:''' (The ability to resist deformity in response to stress. The opposite is flexibility. The less stiff, the more flexible.)

'''Tensile strength:''' (Resistance to being stretched or pulled before failure due to stress.)

'''Thermal energy:''' (How much heat and cold can the character withstand?)

'''Toughness:''' (The ability to absorb energy and plastically deform without fracturing. The opposite is brittleness. Use kg m^2/s^2 / m^3, or J/m^3)

===Endurance===
(The proper word for "stamina". Endurance allows one to exert him- or herself and remain active, resist, withstand, and recover from fatigue. How long can one run before tiring? How fast can one recover from wounds?)

===Destructive capability===
(What is the maximum destruction that can be wrought by the character?)

===Destructive range===
(I termed this as "destructive range" simply because I didn't want anyone who is new to be confused by what "range" meant in that regard.)

=='''Equipment'''==
===Standard Equipment===
(What is the character's typical equipment, if any?)

==Match results==
===FP wins===
(I switched this to wins.)

===FP losses===
(I switched this to losses. The reason why is because while the opposite of victory is defeat, I have been confused a few times by the word "defeats" because I thought this referred to those who have been defeated by the character in question. I hope that's not an issue.)

===Inconclusive===
(These are matches that haven't been determined for a win or loss.)

=='''Respect thread(s)'''==
(Place any respect threads here.)

=='''Citations'''==
(Cite your sources.)
Last edited by Mea quidem sententia on Tue Jan 26, 2016 11:37 pm, edited 8 times in total.
Mea quidem sententia
Ready For Action

Re: Possibly revising the layout

Postby Nsl98 » Sun Dec 27, 2015 2:03 pm

So make sections like "piercing durability" and "blunt force durability?"

Like how Spider-Man can shrug off punches from people far stronger than himself or large explosions, but can still be pierced by claws or bullets?
Nsl98
Freak On A Leash

Postby Mea quidem sententia » Sun Dec 27, 2015 4:06 pm

Nsl98 wrote:So make sections like "piercing durability" and "blunt force durability?"

Like how Spider-Man can shrug off punches from people far stronger than himself or large explosions, but can still be pierced by claws or bullets?

Something like that, but a little more specific like "elasticity", or "hardness". I'd want to be a bit more specific on other things like physical strength as well. Maybe I could provide an example later.
Mea quidem sententia
Ready For Action

Postby Mea quidem sententia » Mon Dec 28, 2015 1:28 pm

Here's what I'm proposing. I'm open to making changes. I understand that the size of the text on the wikia will be larger as you can see in my list below, but those are the result of using "==" or "===". I am only making the size of the text larger here for demonstrative purposes, not for how I think the text size should actually be at the wikia. I am doing the same for the bold letters, since I know '' and ''' will either italicize or bold the letters. Again, this is only for demonstrative purposes here, not for the actual wikia, which uses its own coding.

[insert image here]

[enter space bar x number of times]

Character
Name:
Alias(es):
Origin:
Affiliation:
Species:
Weight:
FactPile Tier:

Powers & Abilities
Physical Strength
Arm strength: (Strength needed for throwing.)
Bench press: (Lifting something heavy while lying down.)
Deadlift: (Lifting something heavy up to one’s hips.)
Leg press: (Strength needed for pushing a heavy object.)
Overhead press: (Lifting something over one’s head.)
Pushing/Pulling strength: (Strength needed to push and pull heavy objects.)
Striking strength: (How hard can one hit with a punch or kick?)
Vertical jump: (How high one can leap vertically.)

Speed
Reaction time: (x milliseconds, or microseconds, or nanoseconds, or petaseconds . . .)
Combat speed: (How many punches or kicks per minute?)
Running speed: (How fast can one run?)
Flight speed: (How fast can one fly?)
Swimming speed: (How fast can one swim?)
Vehicular speed: (How fast can one’s vehicle travel? Only applicable to those who have a vehicle.)

Durability
Brittleness: (Breaking upon insignificant stress. Glass is brittle.)
Compressive strength: (The ability to withstand compression before being crushed. Prince Rupert’s drop can be crushed by pliers or a hammer, but won’t shatter in spite of being glass.)
Elasticity: (The ability to return to the original shape and size once stress is removed. Elastane is elastic.)
Hardness: (The ability to withstand scratching and indentation. Diamond is hard.)
Malleability: (The ability to be shaped when hammered or pressed. Gold is malleable.)
Plasticity: (The ability to deform permanently upon stress without fracturing. A dent in a car.)
Stiffness: (The ability to resist deformity in response to stress. The opposite is flexibility. The less stiff, the more flexible.)
Tensile strength: (The ability to be pulled or stretched before breaking.)
Toughness: (The ability to absorb energy and plastically deform without fracturing. The opposite is brittleness.)

Endurance
(Replace “stamina” with this, since it’s a more accurate word.)

Destructive Capability

Destructive Range
(I termed this as "destructive range" simply because I didn't want anyone who is new to be confused by what "range" meant.)

FP Wins
(I switched this to wins.)

FP Losses
(I switched this to losses. The reason why is because while the opposite of victory is defeat, I have been confused a few times by the word "defeats" because I thought this referred to those who have been defeated by the character in question. I hope that's not an issue.)

Inconclusive

--------------------

Here's an example.

[insert image here]

[enter space bar x number of times]

Character
Name: Samus Aran
Alias(es): The Hunter
Origin: Metroid
Affiliation: Galactic Federation
Species: Human/Chozo hybrid; possibly a chimera after the Metroid vaccine.
Height: 1.9 m.
Weight: 90 kg.
FactPile Tier: High metahuman

Powers & Abilities
Physical Strength
Arm strength: 50 metric tons.
Bench press: Unknown.
Deadlift: Unknown.
Leg press: Unknown.
Overhead press: Unknown.
Pushing/Pulling strength: 50 metric tons.
Striking strength: Unknown.
Vertical jump: 5.7 m.

Speed
Reaction time: 2 milliseconds
Combat speed: Unknown.
Running speed: 30 m/s | Additional 3 m/s with the varia suit in Metroid II: Return of Samus | 47.79 m/s with the boost ball | Mach 1.06 with the speed booster. It's feasible Samus can run Mach 2, considering the same jetpack that allows her to shinespark also allows her to use the speed booster.
Flight speed: 30 m/s with the use of running and the space jump | Mach 2 with the shinespark.
Swimming speed: Unknown.
Vehicular speed: Mach 32.65 based on the gunship's ability to escape Earth's orbit. | 7.2 times the speed of light. However, it's been observed to travel much faster as Samus has gone to different galaxies in her lifetime.

Durability
Brittleness: Not applicable.
Compressive strength: Samus is able to resist being crushed by gravity 5.65 times Earth's.
Elasticity: Not applicable.
Hardness: The power suit is as hard as metal.
Malleability: Not applicable.
Plasticity: Unknown.
Stiffness: The power suit is as stiff as metal.
Tensile strength: Unknown.
Toughness: Near the end of the battle against Mother Brain, Samus' powered armor only shows signs of possible minor indentations, although it could simply be scraps on the paint job.

Endurance
Samus Aran is capable of running for hours and can heal from injuries that would otherwise kill an ordinary human.

Destructive Capability
The plasma beam is one of Samus' most powerful weapons. The laser fired from the arm cannon is capable of piercing multiple space pirates and even passing through SA-X when charged. In the Metroid Prime trilogy, it is capable of melting 2.532 metric tons of tin, granting it 6.318 GJ, which is 451.29% more than the energy required to melt a metric ton of steel, and 9.5 GJ when partially charged to atomize a space pirate and flying pirate. | Missiles generate 7.16 kg. of TNT | Power bombs produce a yield of 5.88 kt of TNT.

Destructive Range
At least a hundred meters with beams and missiles | Based on the power bomb’s 5.88 kt yield, the blast would cover 4.09 km^2.

FP Wins
[Insert Samus' wins here.]

FP Losses
[Insert Samus' losses here.]

Inconclusive
[Insert here.]
Mea quidem sententia
Ready For Action

Postby Soulerous » Mon Jan 11, 2016 11:51 pm

Mea quidem sententia wrote:I think the layout at FactPile Wiki needs some cleaning up. What I mean is that we no longer work with something like "street level durability".

I've had the same thought for a while. I also dislike like the "Street/Metahuman/Skyfather-level" classifications at large, as they are too imprecise and often misleading. The template of yours looks good.

If you find yourself editing these things, I'd like to encourage you to add a citation that links to the claim's proof on Factpile.
Soulerous
Labled Incurable

Postby Mea quidem sententia » Tue Jan 12, 2016 12:04 am

Soulerous wrote:
Mea quidem sententia wrote:I think the layout at FactPile Wiki needs some cleaning up. What I mean is that we no longer work with something like "street level durability".

I've had the same thought for a while. I also dislike like the "Street/Metahuman/Skyfather-level" classifications at large, as they are too imprecise and often misleading. The template of yours looks good.

If you find yourself editing these things, I'd like to encourage you to add a citation that links to the claim's proof on Factpile.

Thanks. I could clean up the template a little more to add thermal energy, optics, sonic waves, and some other stuff. I'm just wondering if it'd be fine to start using this format.

I'm not sure what you mean by citing the claims on FactPile.
Mea quidem sententia
Ready For Action

Postby Soulerous » Tue Jan 12, 2016 2:02 pm

Mea quidem sententia wrote:I'm just wondering if it'd be fine to start using this format.

Yes, you can go ahead and use it. The goal is to make the power of characters apparent and easily comparable, and your format accomplishes that much more effectively than "building+ level durability."

I'm talking about wiki citations, which refer to corresponding links at the bottom of the page. I'd like character statistics to cite either an official website source, Factpile, or a respect thread on Factpiletopia, whichever one makes for the best proof. You don't have to do this now if it's too much trouble, but eventually we should aim for it.
Soulerous
Labled Incurable

Postby Mea quidem sententia » Tue Jan 12, 2016 9:10 pm

Soulerous wrote:
Mea quidem sententia wrote:I'm just wondering if it'd be fine to start using this format.

Yes, you can go ahead and use it. The goal is to make the power of characters apparent and easily comparable, and your format accomplishes that much more effectively than "building+ level durability."

I'm talking about wiki citations, which refer to corresponding links at the bottom of the page. I'd like character statistics to cite either an official website source, Factpile, or a respect thread on Factpiletopia, whichever one makes for the best proof. You don't have to do this now if it's too much trouble, but eventually we should aim for it.

All right, cool.

I agree. It'll be a process.
Mea quidem sententia
Ready For Action

Re: UPDATED TEMPLATE 01/23/2016: Use this template.

Postby Mea quidem sententia » Sat Jan 23, 2016 10:42 pm

USE THIS TEMPLATE ON THE ORIGINAL POST!
Mea quidem sententia
Ready For Action

Re: UPDATED TEMPLATE 01/26/2016: Use this template.

Postby Soulerous » Sun Feb 07, 2016 2:54 am

Your caps lock is on.
Soulerous
Labled Incurable

Next

Return to Wiki Development