FactPile "Light" version
FactPile YouTube Channel | FactPile PodCast

Is Richard Rahl the Dragon Reborn?...

Discuss your favorites here.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Is Richard Rahl the Dragon Reborn?...

Postby Johnnyquest » Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:13 pm

Ok, so I've been thinking about this for a very long time and I think I have a good deal of evidence to support my claim. First, by saying that Richard Rahl is the Dragon Reborn, I don't mean that he is Rand al'Thor, just that he seems to be another reincarnation of the Dragon. Basically I've made a list of all the similarities between the Wheel of Time and the Sword of Truth series and how these two universes could actually be one and the same.

1) Richard and Rand both have had their lives mapped out by obscure prophecies, and both appear to be the only hope during the great struggles of their times.
2) Richard and Rand both have the same sort of inquisitive nature, and the same natural leadership skills, even though both were born as commoners.
3) Richard and Rand are both able to use their respective magics. This is where the similarities start to get kinda fun.
4) In the Sword of Truth novels there appears to be three different classes of magic, being male Han, female Han, and subtractive magic. My understanding is that additive magic is split into male and female, where as subtractive is universal between the two sexes. Additive magic seems to be the blanket term for both male and female Han, and it is also the magic of existence, whereas subtractive magic is the magic from the Underworld. In the Wheel of Time novels there are three different classes of magic: Saidin, Saidar, and the True Power. The One Power, or true source as it is sometimes called, is the blanket term for Saidin and Saidar. Saidin is male, Saidar is female. The True Power is the source of power from Shai'tan (who is very much the same as the keeper), and either male or female can channel this power without restriction, so long as Shai'tan has granted them this power. The One Power is the source of power that sustains the Wheel of Time universe and keeps time itself going. The True Power is the opposite side of that. So both universes have a nearly identical magic system.
5) In the Sword of Truth novels a complex spell is made by placing a "web" which contains "threads" of the magic to be used. In a few of the novels the usage of the power is even called "weaving", which is one of the terms for using magic in the Wheel of Time. Magic works the same way in the Wheel of Time, by placing webs, or complex weaves, that are made from joining different "threads" of the One Power. So, not only are the two different systems of magic nearly identical, but both are also used the same way.
6) There are creatures in the Sword of Truth novels that are not in the Wheel of Time novels, and vice-versa. Explanation? Anyone who has read both series knows that there have been many creatures that have been created by magic. So saying that the universes won't mix due to different creatures would be incorrect. All this would point at the Sword of Truth novels being in an Age either far before, or far after, The Wheel of Time.

Honestly, theres even more to it than what I've mentioned. Alot more. But I've already been typing for a while and am starting to tire of this. So I'll just leave the list as is for now. If anyone would like to support my theories by posting their own lists, or argue my theories, then please do so. Just keep in mind that while a good deal of this thread is based on supposition, those suppositions are backed by fact taken right out of the books (at least as far as I can remember it), so please try to keep it that way. I can't wait to read your replies. :D
Johnnyquest
Plebe

Re: Is Richard Rahl the Dragon Reborn?...

Postby Shy Guy » Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:34 pm

((...Either that, or both series just have an astounding lack of ingenuity and innovation.))
~Shy Guy
Freewill is determined by the options you had, not by the decision you made.

There are 7 openings for my Mafia Game. This is a shameless Plug. Join it now, it's fun!.
Shy Guy
Labled Incurable

Postby Cpt Olimar » Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:54 pm

Well, to be fair, Sword of Truth is apparently a near rip-off of some of Ayn Rand's works, certainly his book "Faith of the Fallen", while I don't know exactly where Robert Jordan got his inspiration from.
Sanctity Falls primary character - Felix
/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=70&start=0
"Without books, I might perhaps have been tougher; but an educated mind is neither insensitive nor callous"
-Cicero
Cpt Olimar
Utopia Overlord

Postby Johnnyquest » Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:36 am

Seems to me that a very large deal of inspiration for Wheel of Time is Dune. I'm also seeing a bit of that in Sword of Truth as well as a good deal of political references from the downfall of Rome.
Johnnyquest
Plebe

Return to Books and Comics