FACTPILE IS BACK!!!
CLICK HERE TO SEE FOR YOURSELF
Take a Tour of the Admin's Mancave

My thoughts on the big Shonen Mangas

Discuss your favorites here.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

My thoughts on the big Shonen Mangas

Postby krazycrismore » Fri Sep 07, 2012 2:31 am

As some of you may know, I am really into Shonen Manga. The manga that I have read/currently am reading are One Piece, Naruto, Bleach, Fairy Tail, Mirai Nikki, Mahou Sensei Negima, and Dragonball/Dragonball Z. I am planning on reading Hunter X Hunter, Katetkyo Hitman Reborn, Soul Eater, and Gintama eventually but am waiting for Naruto or Bleach to end first.

Dragonball/Dragonball Z Complete
I really enjoyed Dragonball. It was funny, had some pretty good fights, and had some decent stories. On the other hand I found Dragonball Z to be quite bad. It was drawn out, and really felt like three separate stories. I know that it was really influental and inspired many of the current Shonen mangas, but I thought that overall it was quite bad. Also, Team Four Star is really fucking awesome.

Bleach Ongoing
IMO, Bleach should have ended after Aizen was defeated. Although he wasn't the main villain in the beginning, he was the one behind it all and the story revolved around him being the big bad of the series. After he was defeated almost everything was finished and it would have been a good ending point for the series. The end of the Fullbring arc would have also been a good ending point. Ichigo became a Shinigami again and it could have ended as him just continuing to protect Karakura and his friends. Although I am enjoying the Vandenreich/Thousand Year Blood War arc, it feels very unneeded.

I feel that the worst thing about Bleach is it's inconsistency and how anticlimactic it can be. In a recent chapter one of captains is completely defeated and dies. It isn't even one of the less important captains, but one of the most monumental characters of the series, and his death is very anticlimactic. He dies and it isn't even the most memorable part of the chapter. It sort of makes me think of in One Piece where Ace and Whitebeard dies and those are shown as monumental events for both the manga and the One Piece world, and how this is the complete opposite. A few pages after the captain dies, it shows Zaraki Kenpachi just being a badass and has that be the highlight of the chapter. I just thought 'WTF, one of the major characters in the series dies and you treat it as no big deal.' Then a couple of chapters later it treats the death of a minor character as a monumental point in the series, needing a chapter of it's own dwelling on it and the Captain Commander dealing with it.
Spoiler
I was meaning that the chapter where Captain Commander was being attacked with his lieutenant's Bankai then killing his attacker as him dealing with his lieutenant's death.

Also, a few of the Quincies are built up as big time fighters, but then are just completely destroyed when they attack Captain Commander. I was expecting some big fight between them and another character, but they are just killed in like two pages.

As for the current arc overall, at first I understood why the Quincy would want revenge on the Shinigami for them just letting the rest of the Quincy die. Then I thought 'If the Quincy are this powerful why did they just let the rest of the Quincies be killed by hollows?' I mean at the beginning of the series it made the Quincies as a whole seem far less powerful than the Shinigami, but now after the Shinigami have gotten much more powerful during the timeskip, more Quincies show up and are easily able to defeat Shinigami. It is just inconsistencies like this that make Bleach seem like a bad series overall.

Naruto Ongoing
Up until about the last 30 chapters, I would have said that Naruto was a pretty good series, but it has really gone downhill at an ever quickening pace, with the Chapter 600 making the last half of the series seem like a big joke/trolling. With the revelation of who Tobi is and his motivation for creating Akatsu, which is what has really drove the plot for the second half of the manga, it just makes the entire second half seem so bad. There are a few other parts that are really bad, which I will get to, but this is just really disappointing. It seems as though Kishimoto realized he was ending the series but decided he actually wanted to continue it for a bit longer so started pulling things out of his ass.
Spoiler
First of all there is the fight with Kabuto. Kabuto has never really seemed like much of a threat, but then in his fight with Sasuke and Itachi he's like "Yeah, I'm kind of a big deal." Then there was two and a half fucking chapters dealing with his backstory, when he is a character I feel very few people don't give two shits about. Then Itachi is all like "Oh yeah, I am an Uchiha and have Sharingan hax, which is explained very poorly. Time to do things that are supposedly impossible."

Then there is Madara. Yes, he was important and talked about because that is who Tobi claimed to be for a long time. But when he is brought back by Edo Tensei he is made to seem like he normally would be this near unstoppable force, but with the regen and chakra gained from Edo Tensei is made to be an even more unstoppable of a force. Then when Edo Tensei ends he is like "HAX, lo I ain't going nowhere." Now at the climax of the series a new villain who's power appears to be on a completely different level than everyone else is introduced when everyone is pretty much out of chakra. I could understand if he was just brought back to show that Tobi wasn't Madara, but now it is something completely different. Not only is he now back for real, but he has received a massive power up due to Edo Tensei.

Then there is Orochimaru coming back. I understood that when Sasuke sort of defeated him that wasn't the end of him, but when Itachi killed him that really felt like it was the end of Orochimaru. But now Sasuke decided to bring him back for some retarded reason. It is like Sasuke is like "I now know that nearly everything Itachi did was to protect me and keep me safe, and he is the person I love most, but I am going to have my goal be to go against everything that Itachi was about." I guess this should be expected from how shitty of a character Sasuke is, but it really feels like Kishimoto is just trolling his entire fanbase.

Then there is Tobi. Oh Tobi, how I wish so much that you actually were Madara and that all of this is part of the moon Sharingan bullshit actually having happened. In short Obito didn't actually die when he was crushed in a cave in and his entire motivation for the series is that he hates a reality where his crush is dead. But instead of taking the usual way out and killing himself he remember he was an Uchiha and they have super hax. Why just remove himself from a reality in which Rin is dead, when he can make it so that nobody lives in a reality where she is dead. I mean Tobi is the leader of Akatsu, did they not know that their entire goal was because of someone going to whole new level of being emo? This just makes Akatsu seem like a big joke.

Honestly, if this series ends up just being one big troll on the manga community by Kishimoto, I wouldn't be surprised. This series has some pretty cool characters, like Shikimaru, Kakashi, and Minato. But, it also has some of the worst characters ever, like Sasuke, Kabuto, Tobi, and pretty much every other Uchiha besides Itachi. It's like Kishimoto is building up a lot of cool things just to cover everything in massive amounts of shit. Pretty much my only reason for continuing to read Naruto is just to finish it.

Fairy Tail Ongoing
I really am enjoying Fairy Tail despite some of the negative aspects of it. Although it has distinguished itself for One Piece, it still feels like it is a less good version of One Piece with wizards instead of pirates. IMO, the biggest distinguishing elements is having romance between characters. While One Piece does have characters chasing others romantically, that is mostly used as comedy. Fairy Tail does have that same use of romance, but there is some actual romance in the series. While I think that this aspect is dealt with quite well, there isn't really much of a mystery of who is going to be paired up with who. Recent arcs have revealed which characters have mutual interest in each other.

Similar to One Piece, many of the arcs have their own plots. However, Fairy Tail seems to end the arcs in a much more complete way than One Piece, leaving fewer loose strings that go into the overall plot of Fairy Tail. This makes the major plots for Fairy Tail come along at a very slow pace. As of now, even though Fairy Tail is almost 300 chapters long many of the overarching plots do not feel like they have really been delved into very heavily. Fairy Tail also seems to have far less underlying plots than One Piece does.

My biggest criticism on the series would have to be how focused it is on the Power of Nakama. Up until the current arc it hasn't seemed like much of a problem, and was only something that came forth when there was no other way for them to win. But now it is being used less as a power they get in desperation, but a casual power that they are able to access anytime.

Mahou Sensei Negima Complete
I really enjoyed this series. It had good variety in it, and was overall very good. It had many enjoyable parts to it that kept me entertained throughout the series. Although some recurring elements got somewhat boring towards the end, I never really got disinterested in the manga. Although I thought that the end of the manga was a bit drawn out, I realize that part of why it seemed this way was because of how long it took for some chapters to be released in the end.

Mirai Nikki Complete
This is a very enjoyable and short series. I think that this series was very dark and graphic at points for a Shonen. It had a very interesting story with a surprising and fulfilling ending. Some of the characters in this series were very interesting and eccentric. Although the first two episodes of the anime adaptation really drag along, I found the adaptation to be done very well overall.

One Piece Ongoing
This i by far my favorite Shonen, and series in any type of media for that matter. There is just so much in One Piece to enjoy, and is by far one of the most emotional series I know of. The only complaint I really have with this series is that due to it's popularity, Oda can take his time building up tension and suspense. In the end, once the series is finished, I think that it will all be worth it. However being very impatient, and the fact that there is still another ten to fifteen years left in the series, it makes waiting for the next chapter very difficult.
"One miracle, my lord. Delivered as requested. That should hold them back for a few hours. Long enough?"
-Androl Genhald
krazycrismore
J's Sammich Wench

Re: My thoughts on the big Shonen Mangas

Postby Blood Dancer » Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:34 am

Gintama is awesome, well the anime is.

I wholeheartedly agree on what you think about Fairy Tail and One Piece.

The others I either don't know about or stopped watching.

Also, I'd advise to check out Ghost in The Shell - if you haven't already, that is - as that is one awesome piece of art.

p.s. I finally got Amalur :D
Life is the one ride we cannot afford to lose
Blood Dancer
Ready For Action

Postby krazycrismore » Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:03 pm

Blood Dancer wrote:Gintama is awesome, well the anime is.

I wholeheartedly agree on what you think about Fairy Tail and One Piece.

The others I either don't know about or stopped watching.

Also, I'd advise to check out Ghost in The Shell - if you haven't already, that is - as that is one awesome piece of art.

p.s. I finally got Amalur :D

I stopped playing Amalur after my sister erased my save data on accident. I had like 40-50 hours in it, and did really feel like putting the same amount of time back in to get back to the same spot. Not really much of a big deall now with Borderlands 2 coming out next week.
"One miracle, my lord. Delivered as requested. That should hold them back for a few hours. Long enough?"
-Androl Genhald
krazycrismore
J's Sammich Wench

Postby Hermit » Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:03 pm

@ krazy
Try Soul Eater (already mentioned) and Tegami Bachi.

Since you're already familiar with Soul Eater, I'll explain Tegami Bachi in a nutshell:

A group of (awesome) postmen making deliveries across a desolate wasteland of a world with no natural sunlight that's populated by giant insects that want to eat your heart (not the organ, but a sort of life-force). All the while a government conspiracy is taking place. Add to the fact that the main character is a huge crybaby with a sidekick that has prehensile hair, and you've got a series that's both a refreshing break from the main shonen mangas and a good enough read that will have you wanting more and more.

The anime has already ended, but the manga is still ongoing at 55 chapters and counting. A warning though, the plot only picked up after thirty or so chapters, and it's still starting.
Hermit
All Secrets Known

Postby fallstar thief » Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:56 am

[quote=Krazycrismore]I think that this series was very dark and graphic at points for a Shonen.[/quote]
mirai nikki is seinnin
"The heralds of our extinction, The destroyers of the earth, The greatest threat to Humanity, Behold an Angel" - Kaworu Nagisa, Neon Genisis evangelion: Campus Apocalypse
fallstar thief
Ready For Action

Postby krazycrismore » Sat Sep 29, 2012 5:20 pm

fallstar thief wrote:mirai nikki is seinnin

It was published in Shonen Ace, it is shonen.
-Androl Genhald
krazycrismore
J's Sammich Wench

Return to Books and Comics