FACTPILE IS BACK!!!
CLICK HERE TO SEE FOR YOURSELF
Take a Tour of the Admin's Mancave

The Art of War

Discuss your favorites here.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

The Art of War

Postby Baron Somebody » Sun Aug 01, 2010 4:01 pm

Would any of you consider it credible? I'd hate to impound your guys's visage of me any further into myself but it is quite nice to read while high...

Baron Somebody wrote:I asked someone if it's normal to second guess walking motions...dude I am so fucked...
Baron Somebody
Megaraptor's Scapegoat

Re: The Art of War

Postby TheOnlySolitaire » Sun Aug 01, 2010 4:37 pm

Yeah, I'd say the art of war was credible, its still taught and used today. Even big business execs use it to take out their competition etc.
It's relevance is questionable as warfare has changed vastly since it was written. However, many Viet Cong used it, and they beat off the French and I don't want to annoy anyone here by saying it, but the USA too.
Arguably the same kind of tactics are used by the Taliban and other middle eastern extremists. Hell Chairman Mao took over china using ideas from that book mixed with his own (supposedly).
I would say that it covers enough of the different aspects of war to still be credible and useful, even if its only use is to provide a bit more learning into the study of tactics or strategy... Although, my opinion is pretty worthless in the grand scheme of things.

Miyamoto Musashi's 'A Book of Five Rings' is a Japanese equivalent, equally as good a read, high or not.
So is Machiavelli's 'The Prince', although that one is more focussed on rule as a king/prince rather than focussed on warfare, but still a damn good read, if a little clinical.
How do you change what is written in your signature..?

If you believe everything you read, better not read.
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
TheOnlySolitaire
Check My Brain

Postby Himmler » Sun Aug 01, 2010 4:46 pm

I have a copy of this book it is The Art of War, The Prince, and Frederick the Greats Instructions all rolled into one leather bound book. You could take over a whole country with it.
No Pity! No Remorse! No Fear!
Himmler
Misery Machine

Postby TheOnlySolitaire » Sun Aug 01, 2010 4:54 pm

Haha Sweet!
What's this book called Himmler? I may have to attain myself a copy...
How do you change what is written in your signature..?

If you believe everything you read, better not read.
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
TheOnlySolitaire
Check My Brain

Postby Matapiojo » Tue Aug 03, 2010 7:58 am

Art of War is more than credible. The piece is practically a military bible.
AquilaChrysaetos wrote:Don't make mata mad. Or he'll do this:\
Matapiojo
Site Admin

Postby Sapper007 » Tue Aug 03, 2010 8:45 am

every modern military has indoctrined several of its concepts... in fact its study (actually the class is called Early Eastern Warfare and Tactics) is a core course at the war college... (i think...)
I am a Sapper Leader. The cutting edge of my country's sword.

I am a member of my nation's chosen soldiery. God grant that I may not be found wanting, that I will not fail this sacred trust.
Sapper007
Utopia Overlord

Postby Deathtanker » Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:40 pm

Baron Somebody wrote:Would any of you consider it credible? I'd hate to impound your guys's visage of me any further into myself but it is quite nice to read while high...

Its credible, but not not something to hold very high in practical application in my view.

The book is meshed with various Far East teachings considering a number of different topics and how to live one's life successfully. The directives it gives for combat are insightful and yet, based a great deal on common sense. Don't get me wrong, reading the book if you are interested in military matters or would like to give your own life a sense of order and direction is a good idea. But at the end of the day, a great deal of it comes out as muddled due to the 'life' teachings woven in it and its directives are quite plain and without adequate examples in my tastes.

If you truly want to know war, this is what you need: On War by General Carl von Clausewitz. He goes beyond Sun Tzu to explain why war happens, what the objectives should be, how to crush your enemy by directly attacking their 'center of gravity,' cites examples in his own career, gives length discussions on topics, stress flexibility in any situation, beware of 'fog of war,' etc.

For god sakes, this was the very same work (among his other writings) that drove the Germans during WW1 and WW2. General Heinz Guderian (father of modern armored warfare), General Rommel (one of the most feared and respected commanders - ever), General Patton (for the Americans, but a valiant study of German tactics and readings), etc, etc. They all read his works and adopted his principals. Fact of the matter is that World War 2 might as well be called the war to decide who studied Clausewitz more.

Sun Tzu's book is mainly a study of how to fight battles and to remind you to use your head for more than head-butting. Clausewitz's book takes war and elevates it to science that not only examines war itself, but how it interacts with other aspects of society.
Robert Frost wrote:The best way out is always through.

Deathtanker
Canewielder

Postby orpheus12 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:48 pm

This is an amazing book. That is all I have to say. :D
orpheus12
Plebe

Postby tau43 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:01 pm

I preferred Napoleon's more. Though there are a few tactics that would work. Though all of the siege tactics are going to fail in MW.
tau43
Zombie Eater

Return to Books and Comics