FACTPILE IS BACK!!!
CLICK HERE TO SEE FOR YOURSELF
Take a Tour of the Admin's Mancave

SG Universe

All sci-fi related movies should start here.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

SG Universe

Postby PrimeChaosZPP » Fri Oct 16, 2009 5:30 pm

So about 2 weeks ago SGU started. I felt that the pilot was very confusing and didn't make much sense in many areas. After episode 2 however i understand it more, and episode 3 come out in about 4-5 hours or so. Personally i really don't know what to think about it. Your thoughts :idea: :?:
PrimeChaosZPP
Misery Machine

Re: SG Universe

Postby SmilinJack » Fri Oct 16, 2009 6:27 pm

What exactly is SGU? If it gets its own topic, it must be interesting.
Hope for the best. Plan for the worst.
SmilinJack
Utopia Overlord

Postby PrimeChaosZPP » Fri Oct 16, 2009 7:03 pm

SGU is short for StarGate Universe. Its the third in a trilogy. The first was SG1 and the second was SGA or StarGate Atlantis. The two before are very good and very well made. I like both.
PrimeChaosZPP
Misery Machine

Postby SmilinJack » Fri Oct 16, 2009 7:10 pm

PrimeChaosZPP wrote:SGU is short for StarGate Universe. Its the third in a trilogy. The first was SG1 and the second was SGA or StarGate Atlantis. The two before are very good and very well made. I like both.

i see. thanks
Hope for the best. Plan for the worst.
SmilinJack
Utopia Overlord

Postby Matapiojo » Tue Oct 20, 2009 1:13 pm

I saw the pilot. I dug it, but mainly because it gave me my SG fix. Haven't seen the others due to unknown DVR technical difficulties, but I'm gonna look for them online.

I am a big SG fan. I thought that the Pilot was not very well written for new viewers. It jumped off from terminology and canon established on SG1, which is great for long term fans like me, but like you said, confusing.

That said, it was a more solid transition from SG1, than Atlantis was. It feels like a more appropriate spin-off to SG1 (so far).

I like the premise of the show, but going by the Pilot alone its not meeting my expectations. It feels like an Atlantis reboot, thus far. The premise is alright, but I dislike the plot that got them to the "dying" ship. So far, I think they should have just kept going with Atlantis if this is the direction they wanted to take.

I'll be better able to give you my 2 cents after I see the other episodes, though.

What I am intrigued to see is if they manage to blend all the franchises together. I get that the ship is very, VERY far, but with Atlantis having landed on earth, I don't see the Tauri fixing/enhancing the city to "rescue" the stranded refugees as too farfetched a story.

Hell having, Carter, Jackson, and McKay working on the city simultanously would have it fully operational within a week.

Amirite? :lol:
AquilaChrysaetos wrote:Don't make mata mad. Or he'll do this:\
Matapiojo
Site Admin

Postby shaun182 » Sun Jan 03, 2010 3:18 pm

I like stargate sg1 and atlantis but doesnt sgu it not seem slightly like a battlestar galactica rip off, but without the cool robots or the sexy robots.
"Death is but a door,time is but a window, I shall return"
shaun182
Misery Machine

Postby Matapiojo » Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:42 am

Indeed. SG-U is a blatant attempt at capitalizing on Battlestar's success.

It's failing miserably.

I do not watch SG to see a group of people simply surviving while drifting across the cosmos. Give me some impossible antagonists for them to overcome, dammit!
AquilaChrysaetos wrote:Don't make mata mad. Or he'll do this:\
Matapiojo
Site Admin

Postby Eric Gigliotti » Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:46 pm

So I've been rewatching SGU and I can't fathom why people didn't like it. Yeah it wasn't the same as SG1 and Atlantis, but it was still great. And I watched both previous shows from start to finish - most Stargate fans can't actually say that. SGU had character development on a level not seen in Stargate since the first 2 seasons of SG1 (maybe the final season of Atlantis). I liked how each episode built off the previous episodes, and were not standalone exploration episodes. The storytelling was realistic and fantastic. Sure they could have put more action and bad guys into the earlier episodes, but the show stands strong without that imo. /vent

Mister Teal wrote:
Ruliya wrote:He edited it xD He said 3 originally xD That's hilarious!
No I had originally misspelled 2
Eric Gigliotti
Misery Machine

Postby ZomBninjasamurai » Fri Aug 16, 2013 2:39 am

I think it just lost too many fans on the weak premiere. I know that is why I didn't watch it initially. When I finally got around to watching it, it was a truly great show. Maybe my favorite Stargate.
You should come inside the box...
If Harley Quinn is your favorite character, you're not a comic book fan, you're a Batman: The Animated Series fan.
ZomBninjasamurai
Utopia Warlord

Postby Eric Gigliotti » Sat Aug 17, 2013 1:39 pm

I do hate all the rock songs that play in the middle of the episodes. I might agree with you on SGU being the best. I rewatched SGA earlier and refused to accept it was better than SG1. Then after watching select episodes from SG1 through season 7, I finally allowed myself to agree that Atlantis was my favorite. Now I'm not so sure. There are a lot of good and bad things about SGU, but I'm going to wait until I finish SGU to decide.

Mister Teal wrote:
Ruliya wrote:He edited it xD He said 3 originally xD That's hilarious!
No I had originally misspelled 2
Eric Gigliotti
Misery Machine

Return to Sci-Fi