FACTPILE IS BACK!!!
CLICK HERE TO SEE FOR YOURSELF
Take a Tour of the Admin's Mancave

Moving/Emotional/tear-worthy moments (Spoilers abound)

Some of the greatest characters spawn from here…

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Moving/Emotional/tear-worthy moments (Spoilers abound)

Postby Jwlynas » Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:55 pm

Jwlynas
Zombie Eater

Re: Moving/Emotional/tear-worthy moments

Postby Mister Teal » Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:10 pm

I was pretty upset that the Na'vi in Avatar weren't raped and burned at the end.

All that precious Unobtanium went to waste too. Heartbroken was I.
Mister Teal
Psychotron

Postby krazycrismore » Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:25 am

The Mantle by Agalloch is an album that to me conveys the feelings of depression. In the Shadow of Our Pale Companion is the darkest song on the album IMO.
"One miracle, my lord. Delivered as requested. That should hold them back for a few hours. Long enough?"
-Androl Genhald
krazycrismore
J's Sammich Wench

Postby Cpt Olimar » Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:50 am

Not that many on this site have played the game, but Mother 3's ending...
It's lengthy and won't be impactful at all without proper context (i.e. playing the game) so I won't bother linking it.
Well Shigesato Itoi calls the game strange, funny and heartrending. He doesn't lie.

Not trying to pull a FF6>FF7 discussion at all, but I can't help adding this scene
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5csOhPWr58o
You could imagine this being in the opera scene as well, it's surprisingly dramatic for a 16-bit game.
There are other scenes that could easily be used, but for me this one is just the most tragic.

The famous song by Don McClean should not be missed either; no not American Pie though that's a great song too. I'm talking about Vincent.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkvLq0TYiwI

I have a lot of things for this, may post more later.

I just wanted to add now that for me, one of the reasons that makes Aerith's death so meaningful is that Cloud finally delivers some truly impactful dialogue. Instead of his usual '...' we get something far more emotional. Additionally, Sephiroth's lines here are also simply villainous. We don't get the long pointless speeches of Jenova and world destroying, instead we get a truly cruel and de-humanizing attack on cloud. If anything in the game makes me think highly of Sephiroth as a villain, it's not that he used to be good, it's not that he wants to kill the world, it's even that he killed Aerith, but that he told Cloud: "Ha, ha, ha stop acting as if you were sad. There's no need for you to act angry either" right after Cloud is dealing with the death of somebody he cared deeply for, if not loved.

To me, that is top notch villain dialogue. That is the square that we need now, villains who aren't 'cool' but ones that really get under your skin and make you despise them.
Sanctity Falls primary character - Felix
/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=70&start=0
"Without books, I might perhaps have been tougher; but an educated mind is neither insensitive nor callous"
-Cicero
Cpt Olimar
Utopia Overlord

Postby theobserver » Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:49 am

Cpt Olimar wrote:Not that many on this site have played the game, but Mother 3's ending...
It's lengthy and won't be impactful at all without proper context (i.e. playing the game) so I won't bother linking it.
Well Shigesato Itoi calls the game strange, funny and heartrending. He doesn't lie.

That game was incredible. Easily the most heart-wrenching of the Mother games I've played (only one I missed was the first one). I think that is one of the games that outright made me stop playing for weeks on end simply because it got extremely emotional at certain points. Well, by emotional I don't just mean sadness. I was pretty pissed off at being too underleveled to beat Fassad at the sewers so I was exp grinding til I was at level 60 something from the low level 30's.

Other than that, this has to be among the top for me. For all the flashy action sequences in the Mega Man games, people often overlook how sad the world in the series is. It's a world destroyed and almost eternally divided until a select individuals devote their lives into putting it back together. Their hard work pays off in the end, but really, none of them ever get to see it since they have long since died making that dream happen. 3 centuries of fighting and constant conflict, killing your friends and comrades as you go along.

There's also the death of X.

Hmm, emotional moments...

Clannad and especially Clannad After Story had a few every story arc. Don't really want to post them for potential viewers, since they spoil quite a lot on their own.

Then there's

The song that depressed me for weeks when I first heard it.

and

What made season 6 for me in HIMYM and also what made me drop the show partway through season 7.

Blahh, so what, I'm a sap when it comes to these things...
theobserver
Harvester of Sorrow

Postby Negative Zero » Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:51 am

That prison shower fight from Mafia 2.
Negative Zero
Captain Obvious

Postby fallstar thief » Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:55 am

clannad~after story after, only anime thats ever made me cry.
"The heralds of our extinction, The destroyers of the earth, The greatest threat to Humanity, Behold an Angel" - Kaworu Nagisa, Neon Genisis evangelion: Campus Apocalypse
fallstar thief
Ready For Action

Postby Cpt Olimar » Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:56 am

theobserver wrote:Blahh, so what, I'm a sap when it comes to these things...

You and me, man. You and me.

I have a question on this thread, though, regarding spoilers. Naturally "sad" things are more likely in video games to be huge dynamic and unexpected events than other events. I'm guessing that we should probably have everyone using the spoiler tag if they drop the bomb on something big (granted I did on Aerith...but who doesn't know at this point. I'd be glad to put one on it though).

Thoughts?
Sanctity Falls primary character - Felix
/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=70&start=0
"Without books, I might perhaps have been tougher; but an educated mind is neither insensitive nor callous"
-Cicero
Cpt Olimar
Utopia Overlord

Postby theobserver » Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:08 am

@Cap

I suppose so. Maybe a short reference as to what game/film/whatever before being linked in a spoiler tag? That way the person at least knows what's in it before they click.

@Fallstar Thief

Glad to see someone else who's watched Clannad. Ever thought about giving Toradora a try? It's quite amazing.

One of my favorites from the soundtrack.
theobserver
Harvester of Sorrow

Postby fallstar thief » Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:34 am

theobserver wrote:@Cap

I suppose so. Maybe a short reference as to what game/film/whatever before being linked in a spoiler tag? That way the person at least knows what's in it before they click.

@Fallstar Thief

Glad to see someone else who's watched Clannad. Ever thought about giving Toradora a try? It's quite amazing.

One of my favorites from the soundtrack.

im currently on ep 17 of toredora and i agree. have you tried myself youself? its similar to clannad
http://myanimelist.net/anime/2926/Myself_;_Yourself
"The heralds of our extinction, The destroyers of the earth, The greatest threat to Humanity, Behold an Angel" - Kaworu Nagisa, Neon Genisis evangelion: Campus Apocalypse
fallstar thief
Ready For Action

Next

Return to T.V. and Movies