FactPile "Light" version
FactPile YouTube Channel | FactPile PodCast

Planetside 2 [PC]

Consoles, Portables, and PC

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Please make use of identification tags when you create your new topic when appropriate: i.e. [XBOX].

Planetside 2 [PC]

Postby Ruliya » Wed May 22, 2013 6:11 pm

So, I was looking for a new MMO to sink my teeth into, and I've heard good stuff, and bad stuff about this game.

I've found the idea of an FPS MMO quite intriguing. So, does anyone play? Does anyone want to play?

I think DC88 will be joining me, but it'd be cool to play with some others ^^ So, just let me know in this thread. Providing I can play on American Servers, and hope I'm not laggy as hell xD
http://protogonus.deviantart.com/ - My Art, such as it is.

Ruliya
Utopia Overlord

Re: Planetside 2 [PC]

Postby Cannibal Cookie » Wed May 22, 2013 6:38 pm

Wasn't impressed when I played it earlier this year.
"Once had student that gave a thesis on the history of the American police drama, I graded him down because he didn't mention Miami Vice."
Cannibal Cookie
Ready For Action

Postby Asger » Wed May 22, 2013 7:01 pm

I gave it a shot, but...Well maybe the server I was on was just underpopulated, but I could go over massive stretches of land with jack shit happening.
loneliness + alienation + fear + despair + self-worth ÷ mockery ÷ condemnation ÷ misunderstanding x guilt x shame x failure x judgment n=y where y=hope and n=folly, love=lies, life=death, self=dark side
Asger
Organ Grinder

Postby OriginalA » Wed May 22, 2013 10:38 pm

So I play this game a lot. Generally on Thursday nights with a bunch of friends; although currently we are going Guns of Ikarus on Thursdays... or cycling back to MechWarrior Online. Anyways, the servers are now condensed down into one server (not sure if region locked or not; haven't really looked at how the servers are set up since they started taking down some servers to condense the populations) so population should be pretty decent on all continents at nearly any time. I haven't seen a dull moment in that game for quite a few months, while before (when there were tons of servers) there could be continents that were entirely unpopulated at late hours.

I think this game is tons of fun.

I play for the NC.

I would encourage those who backed off from the game due to low populations to try it again. The largest battles I've seen have happened only in the more recent months, and at the same time I knew that there were also equally large battles going on on the other continents. Made for some epic fights.

Now here is the thing... I don't play many MMOs. This, League of Legends, Mechwarrior Online, and Guns of Ikarus, are the closest things to a proper MMO that I play, and none of them are the traditional MMORPG. So here is the clincher. When you really dig down into the game, all there is to do is fight the bad guys alongside your friends. Now that is a BLAST to do! But there isn't much variety in terms of goals. Of course there are a multitude of roles to play though. Personally I enjoy Medic the best (fully upgraded heal gun + revive grenades is awesome!), but it is fun to mix things up by taking to the air and dog fighting for a bit, or moving in a tank formation. ... but the end goals are always the same: take this base or defend that base.

That said, my friend, who keeps up on the upcoming ideas and wutnot, has told me that there intends to be a way to further expand the land-grab style that is on each continent and then apply it to entire continents. Currently there are three bases on each continent that cannot be captured (home bases of each faction). My friend tells me that those home bases are going to be moved to different continents altogether and that being able to push a faction off of a continent is going to be an actual thing to do in the game. That will be cool.

Anyways, I hope this post helps, and I hope you enjoy the game. I look forward to fighting either beside or against you in the future.
OriginalA
I Am the Highway

Postby SmilinJack » Thu May 23, 2013 1:03 am

It seems my computer doesn't have the proper specs for this game. Runs pretty slow
Hope for the best. Plan for the worst.
SmilinJack
Utopia Overlord

Postby Hitman H94 » Thu May 23, 2013 5:48 am

Once I finish upgrading my computer, I'll try this out.

Does a 360 pad work with this?

Hitman H94
Ascended Slumdog

Postby OriginalA » Thu May 23, 2013 12:29 pm

OriginalA
I Am the Highway

Postby OriginalA » Thu May 23, 2013 10:33 pm

So, I just checked the character creation thing and there are apperently four servers up. Two US servers, one UK, and another that I didn't really notice what for but probably important to someone. Anyways, I'm on the Connery USA server, and I just wanted acknowledge that I gave bad info about the servers in my previous post.
OriginalA
I Am the Highway

Return to Video Games