FACTPILE IS BACK!!!
CLICK HERE TO SEE FOR YOURSELF
Take a Tour of the Admin's Mancave

Calc Request Thread

Designated Debating Area! As Well As Expanded Mayhem!

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Authors

Re: Calc Request Thread

Postby Amm0vamp1r3 » Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:37 pm

Ah alright thanks anyway :)
Amm0vamp1r3
Primarch

Postby Rookie » Wed Aug 06, 2014 3:18 am

Rookie
Organ Grinder

Postby Kitten Lord » Wed Aug 06, 2014 4:07 am

Mea quidem sententia wrote:
Kitten Lord wrote:Whats the difference between normal force and net force? How would it change how we look at the feat?

If you knew that already, just take that as review. If not, now you know.

Thank you, so based on what was said earlier, you said you needed to find normal force to find pressure, not net force which is what I think weve been using to find pressure so far, tbh I dont really know so why is that important? How would I find normal force from Raziel striking through those blocks so I can find pressure? Would the numbers be any different than those I have already? I mean the force "required" to break through the stone Raziel got through or crushed through is the same right, so surely just using the required force which is what I was using is enough?
Kitten Lord
Organ Grinder

Postby CH1C4N0444 » Thu Aug 07, 2014 3:42 am

Well, been reading Superman Doomed. Doomsday is a villain that I've always been interested in, so I figured I'd read N52's storyline based off of him. Well, this recently happened with Superman and Martian Manhunter.: http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/sca ... -14843.jpg

I'm going to post three scans of the thing they caught that was moving at 36,000 MPH
http://i.imgur.com/Ty7X4vs.jpg
http://www.comicbookresources.com/imgsr ... -4daff.jpg
http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/ori ... -14843.jpg

I was wondering if you guys could calc the size of that thing. I'm sure there's going to be a size difference from panel to panel, which is why I posted the three clearest scans of the ship and Earth side by side. I was hoping for maybe an average of it's size and/or a range of it's size so we could have an idea of the amount of energy/force/strength it would've taken to stop/redirect it's movement.

It's a crazy lifting feat, so I was wondering if it was comparable(probably considerably more impressive to be honest)as this feat were Hyperion caught an Earth moving at 500,000 MPH http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/sca ... 73-av4.png The only thing that makes me think it's comparable to the other feat is the fact Hyperion did it alone and that the planet was moving ~13x faster than the ship Supes and MM caught.

And while whoever calcs it(should it be calced, which it is hopefully)would you also mind calcing the explosion of the second post in page 23. Thanks all.
CH1C4N0444
I Am the Highway

Postby Tarbel » Thu Oct 09, 2014 5:53 pm

@Rookie
1/2 to 3/4 earth depending on distance from it. More inclined to say 3/4.
@KittenLord
Striking has a lot more to do with momentum and force of a short period of time which is, IIRC, fracture strength or toughness. There really is not a whole lot of values for fracture strength/toughness because it's hard to obtain I think because it can vary.
@CCH1CN044
The ship looks to be about ... 20x to 30/40x the volume of earth. 20x for the first two and 30/40x for the last page where the whole ship expanded or something.
So 5.972e24kg *20 = 1.1944e26kg
30=1.7916e26kg
40=2.3888e26kg
Momentums:
20=19,222e26 kg*m/s
30=28,833e26 kg*m/s
40=38,444e26 kg*m/s
-
Hyperion feat:
5.972e24kg
momentum = 5.972e24kg*223520m/s=13,348.61e26
So based off momentum alone the ship would require more overall force to stop
-
But, what matters also is how long it took to stop each projectile, speeding planet/planetoid in this case. Which ever stopped the object faster would exert more overall force.
-
-
I don't know what explosion you speak of.
Tarbel
Check My Brain

Postby wingedlion » Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:27 pm

Alright, so i know that people here are usually very skeptical of calcs that come from the narutoforums, with good reason. So i was hoping that you guys might be able to check out this speed calc and see if it has anything that's just plain out wrong, and if it's possible to correct it.
http://www.narutoforums.com/blog.php?b=18408
I wanted to make sure that this was solid in case i had to bring it up in any matches. i would really appreciate it.
wingedlion
Luminous Flesh Giant

Postby Tarbel » Mon Nov 03, 2014 4:59 pm

@wingedlion
The calc goes under the assumption that the fighters have to move from outside of the field of vision from the left to the inside the field of vision, back outside the field of vision to the right. However, the fighters can easily slip in and slip out of vision back form where they entered, so the distance could be from (if the ~40 meters they used is correct) almost 80 meters traveled (by going from the left to the right but back to the left) or as little as 1 meter (left to in the field of vision 1 meter and back out again).
The calc goes out of its way to find a solid number from indeterminate descriptions. There are a number of factors which are not accounted for and some assumptions which are loosely made or simply wrong. The 10 meters thing, for example, is the distance between the fighters, not the fighters and the observer. The 130 degrees for field of vision comes from no where. Perhaps from: http://www.uh.edu/engines/epi2581.htm which tells us our field of vision for both eyes is around 180 degrees. But this accounts for our total field of vision and doesn't take into account the total angle for our focused field of vision (the field of vision for what the eyes can focus on and see clearly). The calc assumes that the eye can detect things outside the focused field just as well as the inside which may or may not be the case.
Overall, I would not use that method of calcing as it can greatly exaggerate speeds, requires too much assumptions, and is not very reliable, at least the way it was done. I don't think the feat, in general, is very calcable, but if I were to give an estimate, it would be from ~500mph and up, maybe edging in and out of supersonic speeds because of the mention of shockwaves. The ripping of iron/steel is very common with hurricane force winds which are greater than 70mph.
Tarbel
Check My Brain

Postby Amm0vamp1r3 » Thu Nov 13, 2014 2:20 pm

How fast would you have to be to pull this off?

"The key lies right there," the baron said, tossing his chin in D's direction. Though a hint of hope streamed into the pair's faces, the ashen hopelessness swiftly returned. Not even D could possibly carry the three of them over six miles in less than five minutes.
"what'd you have in mind, jerk?" the hoarse-voiced D snapped at the Noble. " That's just plain impossible."
"In that case, stay here and be engulfed by the flames," the baron said with a mocking grin. His finger was aimed at D. " But there's no need for that. Not if you were created by the man I know. This situation should be child's play. You may not know it, but the you you don't know knows it. So, if you don't want to die, try to let it out. show your true-the abilities of a Noble among Nobles, that he gave you. That is the true possibility of tomorrow!"
-
[skipping some stuff]
-
"one minute left," the baron said
"Hey, what the hell should I do?" the hoarse voice asked. The girl and her brother no longer believed it was D's
"I really don't know," the baron replied. Clutching his leather satchel, he swallowed hard. "Ten seconds."
His tone was poised on the brink between life and death, making it seem there was no difference between humans and Nobility.
D turned his face upward. He'd just caught a certain voice that he alone could hear.
You are my only success
Vampire Hunter D: Record of The Blood Battle page 133-134

Basically how fast would you have to be to run 6miles in less than a minute?
Amm0vamp1r3
Primarch

Postby Kitten Lord » Thu Nov 13, 2014 2:26 pm

160 meters per second to run it in a minute. Just over half the speed of sound, subsonic.
Kitten Lord
Organ Grinder

Postby Amm0vamp1r3 » Thu Nov 13, 2014 5:57 pm

Kitten Lord wrote:160 meters per second to run it in a minute. Just over half the speed of sound, subsonic.

impressive, thanks for that KL
Amm0vamp1r3
Primarch

PreviousNext

Return to FactPile Arena