FACTPILE IS BACK!!!
CLICK HERE TO SEE FOR YOURSELF
Take a Tour of the Admin's Mancave

Calc Request Thread

Designated Debating Area! As Well As Expanded Mayhem!

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Authors

Calc Request Thread

Postby Asger » Sat Jul 20, 2013 3:01 pm

Alright this is just an idea I had, not sure if we already have anything like it, but I wanna go for it.

If you're like me, math and physics are as difficult as scaling Kilimanjaro while bollock naked and using nothing but your bare hands. So, if there's ever anything really difficult I ask for outside help before I make myself look like an idiot.

So, just post a scan or a video of something you want calculated, and then someone else can come along who actually knows how to properly quantify the feat. Sounds good, right?
loneliness + alienation + fear + despair + self-worth ÷ mockery ÷ condemnation ÷ misunderstanding x guilt x shame x failure x judgment n=y where y=hope and n=folly, love=lies, life=death, self=dark side
Asger
Organ Grinder

Re: Calc Request Thread

Postby Commander Cross » Sat Jul 20, 2013 8:47 pm

Asger wrote:Alright this is just an idea I had, not sure if we already have anything like it, but I wanna go for it.

If you're like me, math and physics are as difficult as scaling Kilimanjaro while bollock naked and using nothing but your bare hands. So, if there's ever anything really difficult I ask for outside help before I make myself look like an idiot.

So, just post a scan or a video of something you want calculated, and then someone else can come along who actually knows how to properly quantify the feat. Sounds good, right?

About reasonable.

What does it take to bust a planet in terms of either physical prowess or Firepower, Supernatural or otherwise?
That one's a good start.
http://dragcave.net/image/n765.gif

Please help save the dragon egg.

Reminds me of factpile in general!
Commander Cross
You Can't Fade Me

Postby Kitten Lord » Sun Jul 21, 2013 6:13 am

What do you mean by bust first, turn the whole planet into little more than atoms? Or blow it into large chunks?

Heres some info on planet destroying;

http://www.blastr.com/2011/09/astronome ... _why_w.php
Kitten Lord
Organ Grinder

Postby ZomBninjasamurai » Sun Jul 21, 2013 7:47 am

I've tried, and failed to calc this myself, I justcan't find the necessary information. However, I would appreciate it if someone calculated how powerful this bullet is.

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t214 ... pect10.jpg
http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t214 ... pect11.jpg
You should come inside the box...
If Harley Quinn is your favorite character, you're not a comic book fan, you're a Batman: The Animated Series fan.
ZomBninjasamurai
Utopia Warlord

Postby Tarbel » Wed Jul 31, 2013 4:48 pm

Planet busting will depend on the size and mass of the planet. If gravitational binding energy of a planet is sufficient to destroy it (that's from many websites I've found about deathstar energy calcs, don't know if it's necessarily true), then destroying earth requires 2.24E+39 joules of energy to destroy (total destruction).
This comes from a calculation for the energy needed to destroy a solar system and i don't think the link works directly so it will be the first link in this google search (madsci.org):
Spoiler
https://www.google.com/search?q=energy+to+destroy+the+sun&oq=energy+to+destroy+the+sun&aqs=chrome.0.69i57j69i61j69i60j69i62l2.6106j0&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8#sclient=psy-ab&q=energy+to+destroy+the+sun+madsci.org&oq=energy+to+destroy+the+sun+madsci.org&gs_l=serp.3...32433.34489.0.34541.13.12.1.0.0.0.170.1114.7j4.11.0....0...1c.1.23.psy-ab..9.4.442.Wg8VovkdeC0&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_cp.r_qf.&bvm=bv.49967636%2Cd.dmg%2Cpv.xjs.s.en_US.jOYpRJj4zMA.O&fp=5b683ef2ef985b22&biw=1280&bih=677

Okay I didn't expect the link to be that long so I spoilered it.
Using one gram of TNT to equal 4184 joules exactly (wiki TNT equivalent), then in bomb terms, what's needed to essentially vaporize earth is 5.3537285e+23 megatons of TNT or ~9.7 sextillion (21 zeros) Tsar Bombas, the strongest nuclear bomb ever detonated.
-
-
@ZomB
Don't exactly know how the bullet works, so I'll assume it's something like a heat seeking missile, except just a projectile.
Actually the more I think about it, the less calculable it is as it's very vague as to how it works, swerving and maneuvering, whether it pierces through shear speed or force...
I'd guesstimate that it has the same energy as 4-5 armor piercing rounds. Although it might be piercing those people more with heat than speed/force...
Tarbel
Check My Brain

Postby guardianangel1911 » Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:41 am

Just curious but how much force would it take to cause planets to shatter/start shattering while you are fighting in outer space in the general vicinity of those planets?
Spoiler

just as I said curious since there are planets shown cracking in the scan.
"Fuck subtle."

guardianangel1911
Voice of the People

Postby Commander Cross » Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:12 am

Also how much effort would it take to Bust a Mountain of made entirely out of Diamonds for that matter?

Commander Cross
You Can't Fade Me

Postby Mea quidem sententia » Sat Aug 10, 2013 6:26 pm

Commander Cross wrote:Also how much effort would it take to Bust a Mountain of made entirely out of Diamonds for that matter?

Questions like this are vague. The size of a mountain varies, much like a planet from the previous question.
Mea quidem sententia
Ready For Action

Postby Commander Cross » Sun Aug 11, 2013 5:30 am

Mea quidem sententia wrote:
Commander Cross wrote:Also how much effort would it take to Bust a Mountain of made entirely out of Diamonds for that matter?

Questions like this are vague. The size of a mountain varies, much like a planet from the previous question.

What about if the Mountain was made entirely out of 745 Kg worth of Diamonds by chance?
That's the size!

Commander Cross
You Can't Fade Me

Postby Mea quidem sententia » Sun Aug 11, 2013 12:04 pm

Commander Cross wrote:
Mea quidem sententia wrote:

What about if the Mountain was made entirely out of 745 Kg worth of Diamonds by chance?
That's the size!

That's mass, not size. That's also not a lot of diamond for a mountain. I don't have an answer for this, I was just explaining that vague questions aren't helpful.
Mea quidem sententia
Ready For Action

Next

Return to FactPile Arena