FACTPILE IS BACK!!!
CLICK HERE TO SEE FOR YOURSELF
Take a Tour of the Admin's Mancave

How to stay sharp

Designated Debating Area! As Well As Expanded Mayhem!

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Authors

How to stay sharp

Postby Mea quidem sententia » Mon May 01, 2017 10:09 pm

Imagine punching someone and producing 60 N. Now imagine stabbing someone with a single metal blade with the tip having an area of 2 nm^2. That's 3.0 × 10^10 N/mm^2. What if you exerted the same force with two blades with the same area for the tip. The pressure is halved. Three blades? Now each blade only exerts a third of pressure. It'd be a good idea to use a single blade. Too bad very few people know this, so I'm telling everyone here.

Update
When I said it's a good idea to use a single blade, I didn't mean you shouldn't wield two blades. Rather, if you have a sword with two blades on it for whatever reason, it won't produce as much pressure per blade.
Last edited by Mea quidem sententia on Tue May 02, 2017 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mea quidem sententia
Ready For Action

Re: How to stay sharp

Postby Alpha or Omega » Tue May 02, 2017 10:17 am

Nice title
"Darn-sung, dang-busted, horse-thievin', alien control panel which can't nobody work proper!" - Vigilante
Alpha or Omega
Zombie Eater

Postby Friendlysociopath » Tue May 02, 2017 10:55 am

Mea quidem sententia wrote:Imagine punching someone and producing 60 N. Now imagine stabbing someone with a single metal blade with the tip having an area of 2 nm^2. That's 3.0 × 10^10 N/mm^2. What if you exerted the same force with two blades with the same area for the tip. The pressure is halved. Three blades? Now each blade only exerts a third of pressure. It'd be a good idea to use a single blade. Too bad very few people know this, so I'm telling everyone here.

(Looks at post, looks at sig, looks back at post then back to sig)
Naaaaaaaaah

Just fyi, Darksiders 3 isn't announced yet but you can find it on Amazon lol
http://www.siliconera.com/2017/05/02/da ... duct-page/
Friendlysociopath
Voice of the People

Postby Mea quidem sententia » Tue May 02, 2017 1:24 pm

Friendlysociopath wrote:
Mea quidem sententia wrote:Imagine punching someone and producing 60 N. Now imagine stabbing someone with a single metal blade with the tip having an area of 2 nm^2. That's 3.0 × 10^10 N/mm^2. What if you exerted the same force with two blades with the same area for the tip. The pressure is halved. Three blades? Now each blade only exerts a third of pressure. It'd be a good idea to use a single blade. Too bad very few people know this, so I'm telling everyone here.

(Looks at post, looks at sig, looks back at post then back to sig)
Naaaaaaaaah

Just fyi, Darksiders 3 isn't announced yet but you can find it on Amazon lol
http://www.siliconera.com/2017/05/02/da ... duct-page/

That's pretty funny.
Mea quidem sententia
Ready For Action

Postby Friendlysociopath » Tue May 02, 2017 1:54 pm

Huh, either someone dropped the ball or Amazon just threw it up before the game was officially announced- this popped up too.
http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/05/02/ ... -ign-first

That said, makes sense for Date I suppose, bro isn't big on piercing attacks when he pulls out all the swords; he's all slashing at that point. How about that- Sengoku Basara doesn't 100% give the finger to physics- just like 95%... (looks at Sumeragi and how they cut the moon into 1/6ths from the planet's surface) or maybe not.
Friendlysociopath
Voice of the People

Return to FactPile Arena