FACTPILE IS BACK!!!
CLICK HERE TO SEE FOR YOURSELF
Take a Tour of the Admin's Mancave

Non combat effects of some characters.

Designated Debating Area! As Well As Expanded Mayhem!

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Authors

Non combat effects of some characters.

Postby pimpmage » Sat Apr 01, 2017 12:11 pm

So take a character like GEoM. Humans who view him fall to the ground weeping at his image of the perfection of the human race. Would it be fair to say other humans in future matches would do the same? What about characters that are not necessarily human, but retain human characteristics like say a Doctor? What about Hulk?
pimpmage
Taste the Pain

Re: Non combat effects of some characters.

Postby Friendlysociopath » Sat Apr 01, 2017 12:35 pm

pimpmage wrote:So take a character like GEoM. Humans who view him fall to the ground weeping at his image of the perfection of the human race. Would it be fair to say other humans in future matches would do the same? What about characters that are not necessarily human, but retain human characteristics like say a Doctor? What about Hulk?

Well, you do have to factor in that everyone in 40K knows who he is, which most likely plays a role in that.
Not to mention as such things go, that one in particular has got to be one of the silliest ones.
Happy April 1st
Friendlysociopath
Voice of the People

Postby pimpmage » Sat Apr 01, 2017 1:22 pm

Friendlysociopath wrote:
pimpmage wrote:So take a character like GEoM. Humans who view him fall to the ground weeping at his image of the perfection of the human race. Would it be fair to say other humans in future matches would do the same? What about characters that are not necessarily human, but retain human characteristics like say a Doctor? What about Hulk?

Well, you do have to factor in that everyone in 40K knows who he is, which most likely plays a role in that.
Not to mention as such things go, that one in particular has got to be one of the silliest ones.
Happy April 1st

There are stories of his first meeting with people and having them blinded and catatonic by his magnificence. This effect should also happen with humans seeing angry space marines. The effect was dubbed transhuman dread.

And another point, he is supposed to be the God of humanity, humans instinctively bow down to him. Should such an effect have tangible outcomes against human characters in vs matches?
pimpmage
Taste the Pain

Postby Friendlysociopath » Sat Apr 01, 2017 3:35 pm

pimpmage wrote:There are stories of his first meeting with people and having them blinded and catatonic by his magnificence. This effect should also happen with humans seeing angry space marines. The effect was dubbed transhuman dread.

And another point, he is supposed to be the God of humanity, humans instinctively bow down to him. Should such an effect have tangible outcomes against human characters in vs matches?

Sounds kinda like people being repulsed at some creatures because they're so ugly- just doesn't make sense from another universe perspective since it's very subjective.
Friendlysociopath
Voice of the People

Postby pimpmage » Sat Apr 01, 2017 4:15 pm

But being repulsed by a creature who's shtick is to be horrifying to perceive has tangible effects. Have you ever read any lovecraftian literature? Creatures from that universe cause madness and crippling fear to those who look upon them. If we had a match between you and a Night gaunt from the lovecraft universe, would you be capable of killing it even if you had anti night gaunt bullets in an anti night gaunt gun? Even if this creature was incapable of getting at you? No, you would go insane and shit yourself, losing the match by just looking at the creature's form. Effects like these have been shown to operate when looking upon the Emperor, or facing down a space marine in combat.
pimpmage
Taste the Pain

Postby Friendlysociopath » Sat Apr 01, 2017 7:22 pm

pimpmage wrote:But being repulsed by a creature who's shtick is to be horrifying to perceive has tangible effects. Have you ever read any lovecraftian literature? Creatures from that universe cause madness and crippling fear to those who look upon them. If we had a match between you and a Night gaunt from the lovecraft universe, would you be capable of killing it even if you had anti night gaunt bullets in an anti night gaunt gun? Even if this creature was incapable of getting at you? No, you would go insane and shit yourself, losing the match by just looking at the creature's form. Effects like these have been shown to operate when looking upon the Emperor, or facing down a space marine in combat.

That's entirely up to the author though- who has no power over characters from other fictions and how they perceive things. That is something restricted only to the universes they come from- not additional ones.
Friendlysociopath
Voice of the People

Postby Alpha or Omega » Sat Apr 01, 2017 7:46 pm

April Fools Comment
Spoiler
'Tis true my fellow friend the Sociopath.
I would theorize that this is nothing but squandering.

This is an odd request, but may you, my fellow, hand your plans for your fanfiction.
It's of most importance that I see to it at once. Nothing unfortunate will come of it.
Last edited by Alpha or Omega on Sun Apr 02, 2017 3:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Darn-sung, dang-busted, horse-thievin', alien control panel which can't nobody work proper!" - Vigilante
Alpha or Omega
Zombie Eater

Postby pimpmage » Sat Apr 01, 2017 8:08 pm

That's entirely up to the author though- who has no power over characters from other fictions and how they perceive things.

This statement is just all sorts of wrong. For one, how could James Bond perceive Luffy walking down the street then? Neither author can state their character is visible to the other. Neither can see each other then.
pimpmage
Taste the Pain

Postby Friendlysociopath » Sun Apr 02, 2017 1:04 am

pimpmage wrote:
That's entirely up to the author though- who has no power over characters from other fictions and how they perceive things.

This statement is just all sorts of wrong. For one, how could James Bond perceive Luffy walking down the street then? Neither author can state their character is visible to the other. Neither can see each other then.

Paranormal effects like a fear aura are magical and nature and as such, not up to subjective views, they exude a magical field that makes you afraid.
Someone looking 'pretty enough' that people are stunned is entirely subjective. Same with scary or any other physical attribute.

Also
pimpmage wrote: Effects like these have been shown to operate when looking upon the Emperor, or facing down a space marine in combat.

Space Marines kinda proves my point- for any given instance of you finding someone "stunned" by a marine I would wager I can find an instance of someone being quite willing to fight them.

Alpha or Omega wrote:'Tis true my fellow friend the Sociopath.
I would theorize that this is nothing but squandering.

This is an odd request, but may you, my fellow, hand your plans for your fanfiction.
It's of most importance that I see to it at once. Nothing unfortunate will come of it.

Er- go nuts.
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=149033
Index is at the front (slightly outdated). If you wanna submit a Subject be sure to read the first comment. About page 9 or so I start just jumping around because another site is using the character and I want the relevant bits (battles in other words) down before that happens.
Friendlysociopath
Voice of the People

Postby Alpha or Omega » Sun Apr 02, 2017 3:09 am

April Fools.
"Darn-sung, dang-busted, horse-thievin', alien control panel which can't nobody work proper!" - Vigilante
Alpha or Omega
Zombie Eater

Next

Return to FactPile Arena