FACTPILE IS BACK!!!
CLICK HERE TO SEE FOR YOURSELF
Take a Tour of the Admin's Mancave

Math with Mea

Designated Debating Area! As Well As Expanded Mayhem!

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Authors

Math with Mea

Postby Mea quidem sententia » Wed Jan 04, 2017 1:35 pm

Introduction
I thought I'd just post a few mathematical stuff and explain as best as I can.

Finding x
This variable is pretty popular and finding x can mean anything. That's why it's a variable. It could be a y if you wanted it to be, or a z, or even a happy face. Whatever you choose for your variable, make sure you understand why it's there. You can really just think of variables as placeholders. Let's use an example.

• x + 5 = 20

If you know basic arithmetic, which I'm sure you do, then you already know what x is. Still, you have to isolate x. What that means is that 5 needs to end up on the opposite side of the equation. How do you do that? Well, what plus 5 is 0? The answer is simple. -5! The equation will look like this.

• x + 5 - 5 = 20 - 5

If we subtract a number from one side, we have to do it with the other side. Why? Think of a scale that is evenly balanced. On the left side we have a cube that has x on it. We also have an additional 5 cubes that are smaller. On the right side of the scale you have 20 cubes. If you were to take 5 cubes away from the left side, the scale would tip so that the right side would drop down and the left side would rise up, since the left would be lighter than the right. In order to keep it evenly balanced, we must remove 5 cubes from the right. Algebraically, it looks like this.

• x + 5 - 5 = 20 - 5

Next, we subtract both sides, which gives us this result below.

• x = 15

So the answer we end up with is 15. If we want to make sure this is the correct answer, we would remove the variable and put 15 in its place, which would look like this.

• 15 + 5 = 20
  • 20 = 20

So x is 15.

What happens if we have more than one number in the equation? The method wouldn't be that different. Let's use the same example.

• x + 5 + 4 = 20

Before we isolate x, we need to do something about the two numbers. If you think that you should add the two numbers, you'd be correct. We'd end up with the following.

• x + 9 = 20

Using what you know from the previous example, you will subtract both sides by 9.

• x + 9 - 9 = 20 - 9
  • x = 11

Is this true? Let's see.

• 11 + 5 + 4 = 20
  • 16 + 4 = 20
  • 20 = 20

11 is the correct answer. If you're curious about how this would work out if you added instead of subtracted, then the idea is pretty much the same. I'll use the first example to give an idea.

• x - 5 = 20

Instead of subtracting both sides, we now have to add for the same reason as given when I used the scale analogy. If we added 5 cubes to the left and not the right, then the scale would be uneven.

• x - 5 + 5 = 20 + 5
  • x = 25

Like before, if we want to make sure we have the correct answer, then we will take our final result and replace x.

• 25 - 5 = 20
  • 20 = 20

Keep in mind that this is for addition and subtraction, not multiplication and division. I may post more later.
Mea quidem sententia
Ready For Action

Re: Math with Mea

Postby Alpha or Omega » Wed Jan 04, 2017 8:51 pm

Sorry to interrupt and sound rude, but I'm pretty sure everybody here knows about Algebra, and some know Calculus.
"Darn-sung, dang-busted, horse-thievin', alien control panel which can't nobody work proper!" - Vigilante
Alpha or Omega
Zombie Eater

Postby Friendlysociopath » Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:07 pm

Alpha or Omega wrote:Sorry to interrupt and sound rude, but I'm pretty sure everybody here knows about Algebra, and some know Calculus.

Can confirm, although I admit to being sad when I turned in my math test to get my job (yes, there was such a thing) and the lady actively gasped when she saw that I knew how to do algebra.
"Nobody gets that one!"

High school education was apparently really shooting over the requirements for the job.
Friendlysociopath
Voice of the People

Postby Mea quidem sententia » Thu Jan 05, 2017 1:20 pm

Alpha or Omega wrote:Sorry to interrupt and sound rude, but I'm pretty sure everybody here knows about Algebra, and some know Calculus.

I don't know calculus and I was never good at math, which is why I've been teaching myself. I thought because there are others who aren't good at math, I might find ways to help here. Still, does everyone know physics? They should if they know algebra or calculus.
Mea quidem sententia
Ready For Action

Postby Alpha or Omega » Thu Jan 05, 2017 4:31 pm

I can help with Calculus stuff if you need me. However, I only know Calc 1&2, not multivariable Calculus or above.

Well, I'm not sure who here knows physics, or at least college level physics.
"Darn-sung, dang-busted, horse-thievin', alien control panel which can't nobody work proper!" - Vigilante
Alpha or Omega
Zombie Eater

Postby Mea quidem sententia » Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:47 pm

Alpha or Omega wrote:I can help with Calculus stuff if you need me. However, I only know Calc 1&2, not multivariable Calculus or above.

Well, I'm not sure who here knows physics, or at least college level physics.

I find it odd that I'm asked for help, yet you know algebra and calculus. It should be the other way.
Mea quidem sententia
Ready For Action

Postby Alpha or Omega » Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:16 am

To be fair, the reason why I know those is because I want to minor in math.
What I'm majoring in has nothing to do with science, and I only need 3 credits in a science course to graduate.
Alpha or Omega
Zombie Eater

Postby Friendlysociopath » Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:44 am

Mea quidem sententia wrote:I don't know calculus and I was never good at math, which is why I've been teaching myself. I thought because there are others who aren't good at math, I might find ways to help here. Still, does everyone know physics? They should if they know algebra or calculus.

Eh? Algebra is underneath physics and calculus isn't it? Those were both higher math classes back when I was in high school.
Friendlysociopath
Voice of the People

Postby Mea quidem sententia » Fri Jan 06, 2017 1:09 pm

Friendlysociopath wrote:
Mea quidem sententia wrote:I don't know calculus and I was never good at math, which is why I've been teaching myself. I thought because there are others who aren't good at math, I might find ways to help here. Still, does everyone know physics? They should if they know algebra or calculus.

Eh? Algebra is underneath physics and calculus isn't it? Those were both higher math classes back when I was in high school.

I never took physics in high school. I was never taught it. Or I don't think I was, anyway. I had science classes, but that was it. I hear that all you need is algebra to understand physics. I hear that calculus will make it easier. I also was told before that all you really need is trigonometry.
Mea quidem sententia
Ready For Action

Postby darkwingdragon709 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:32 am

...well...I hate math...I've always hated math...I forget the term for the condition I have but its basically dislexia for math. By hard work and torture I managed to pass algebra through trig, and even some physics in college when I was taking up game development...before having to drop out sadly due to being poor. I'm now a dad of three sons...my brain no longer has the fortitude to sit and follow the steps of complicated math now. This could help someone like me out lol.
darkwingdragon709
Misery Machine

Next

Return to FactPile Arena