FACTPILE IS BACK!!!
CLICK HERE TO SEE FOR YOURSELF
Take a Tour of the Admin's Mancave

Standard Equipment

Designated Debating Area! As Well As Expanded Mayhem!

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Authors

Standard Equipment

Postby Friendlysociopath » Thu Nov 17, 2016 10:53 pm

I just thought it might prove helpful to have a thread to talk about equipment and what qualifies as 'standard' or otherwise. Ideally with examples. Should you have input you wish to voice, speak up, and we'll see what happens. It occurs to me at times that we have rules but I've never actually seen a lot of talking about them.

Personally, I see equipment being divided 3 ways: standard, special, and safety.
I will use Tony Stark from the Marvel Cinematic Universe as an example.

First, I will establish what I think counts as 'standard' equipment.
Standard equipment would mean the various items, weapons, armors, and vehicles a character normally takes into battle or are typically linked to the character more often than not.
In the case of Tony, this would be his various Iron Man armors from the movies, they're the equipment he usually uses in battle and should he not have them, he tries to get them, which leads me to the next point.

Safety equipment is the, "Just in case", equipment- the stuff a character uses when, for whatever reason, their standard equipment is not with them. To again cite Mr. Stark, this would be his briefcase in the 2nd movie or his iron gauntlet from Civil War.
The key difference is that safety equipment is not what the character normally uses in battle, and being able to passably fight with this equipment does not mean it becomes their standard equipment, a last line of defense doesn't replace the normal measures. Safety equipment is not to be confused with-

Special equipment, or situational items, are things that a character may seldom use to deal with a specific threat or situation. To pull from Iron Man one more time- the Hulkbuster. A suit that Tony does not use for just any occasion- but one that he will use if the need arises.
Friendlysociopath
Voice of the People

Re: Standard Equipment

Postby Mea quidem sententia » Fri Nov 18, 2016 2:36 pm

So, by "more often than not", if I were to take Samus, this means her standard equipment includes the following?

• 14 Energy Tanks
  • Power Suit < Varia Suit < Gravity Suit
  • Combat Visor < Scan Visor < Command Visor
  • Power Beam < Long Beam < Charge Beam < Wave Beam < Ice Beam < Plasma Beam < Grapple Beam
  • Missiles < Super Missiles
  • Bombs < Power Bombs
  • Morph Ball
  • Space Jump < Screw Attack
Mea quidem sententia
Ready For Action

Postby Friendlysociopath » Sat Nov 19, 2016 2:55 pm

Mea quidem sententia wrote:So, by "more often than not", if I were to take Samus, this means her standard equipment includes the following?

• 14 Energy Tanks
  • Power Suit < Varia Suit < Gravity Suit
  • Combat Visor < Scan Visor < Command Visor
  • Power Beam < Long Beam < Charge Beam < Wave Beam < Ice Beam < Plasma Beam < Grapple Beam
  • Missiles < Super Missiles
  • Bombs < Power Bombs
  • Morph Ball
  • Space Jump < Screw Attack

Incarnations obviously still play a role mind you- if a character has actively lost something in canon, like Master Chief no longer has Cortana, then she's not part of his standard equipment because the plot has taken her away.
Friendlysociopath
Voice of the People

Postby pimpmage » Tue Nov 29, 2016 11:31 pm

Standard equipment should be something a character carries AND MAKES CONSISTENT USE OF more than 50% of the time. If we brought up iron man, people would try to bring up tech abilities that have not been shown in use since comics from more than 20 years ago, he should not have that tech. ONLY if he shows he is still capable of using an ability with a most recent suit incarnation should he be able to use such powers. No, LOL HIS SUIT CONTAINS EVERY BIT OF TECH HE HAS EVER MADE SINCE THE BEGINNING OF HIS TIME AS IRON MAN LOLOLOL. If we take MC as an example, he would have a pistol, a battle rifle, and hand grenades.
pimpmage
Taste the Pain

Postby Alpha or Omega » Thu Dec 01, 2016 12:53 pm

To be fair, Tony Stark!Iron Man's recent suit's ability was to combine abilities and modules of his previous suits.

That was Tony Stark; however, I'm not sure with the woman or Doctor Doom who are now Iron Men.
"Darn-sung, dang-busted, horse-thievin', alien control panel which can't nobody work proper!" - Vigilante
Alpha or Omega
Zombie Eater

Postby pimpmage » Thu Dec 01, 2016 7:26 pm

To be fair, Tony Stark!Iron Man's recent suit's ability was to combine abilities and modules of his previous suits.

If there was proof of such a thing, I'd believe you. But I really doubt you will find anything proving such a statement. Who says he cant scrap ideas he thinks are obsolete? Any time he misses a chance to use such a gaget in a very opportune time just adds to my conclusion. You can't blame not using a gadget he 'clearly' should still have and know about on CIS yet still believe his suit contains every idea since the dawn of time.
pimpmage
Taste the Pain

Postby Alpha or Omega » Thu Dec 01, 2016 10:44 pm

Well, that statement is a thing.

If we decide to disregard that and just go off from what we've seen, here's what his suit has based off what I've seen in scans
-Base form
-Hulkbuster
-Stealth mode
-Some kind of invisibility
-Samurai
-Whatever this is
"Darn-sung, dang-busted, horse-thievin', alien control panel which can't nobody work proper!" - Vigilante
Alpha or Omega
Zombie Eater

Postby pimpmage » Fri Dec 02, 2016 1:41 pm

I am very much okay with his suit using any powers shown from say.. within 2 or so years, but anything before that should require more proof.
pimpmage
Taste the Pain

Postby Alpha or Omega » Fri Dec 02, 2016 3:04 pm

His tech/Powers have been pretty consistent for Tony Stark
Repulsors, unibeam repulsor, flight, shielding, enhanced strength, wrist lasers, hacking, and E.M.P. for base.
Strength to tangle with Hulk for a little while in Hulkbuster
Stealth is exactly what it says on the tin.

It's things such as nanomachines, disruptors, and, maybe, missiles that may not have been there consistently.
Alpha or Omega
Zombie Eater

Postby Mea quidem sententia » Tue Dec 13, 2016 2:25 pm

I love the appearance of that armor. Perhaps it's because it's streamlined. Perhaps it's because it has a seemingly anime aesthetic. And I'm not big on anime.
Mea quidem sententia
Ready For Action

Return to FactPile Arena