FACTPILE IS BACK!!!
CLICK HERE TO SEE FOR YOURSELF
Take a Tour of the Admin's Mancave

Purely fictional matters

Designated Debating Area! As Well As Expanded Mayhem!

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Authors

Re: Purely fictional matters

Postby Mea quidem sententia » Thu May 19, 2016 12:40 pm

Friendlysociopath wrote:But I at least try- that has to count for something- right?

Don't let me stop you from having fun with your work.

Friendlysociopath wrote:Noted all around, could you explain more on this "pulse vs waves" thing? I did intend for the gun to have a fairly large dial on the side that changes how it can be fired and I was hoping for 3 options.

You'd want to learn about q-switching. This would allow your laser to fire in pulses with higher watts. The reason is because all of the power is put into that one pulse.

Friendlysociopath wrote:Would the gloves be inflexible if they were made out of titanium or ceramic?

If these gloves were made of nanocomposite ceramic or titanium, it would allow for mobility. An alternative is to have the entire glove with carbon underneath and with ceramic or titanium plates where there isn't any hindrance to the joints.

Friendlysociopath wrote:Would the laser cut through materials or just make them explode via heat?

If the laser is powerful enough, it could cut through materials using heat. The more reflective an object is, the less energy it'll absorb. Ordnances could be detonated at a safe distance.

Friendlysociopath wrote:Does visibility play a role in how much power the laser has? (red lasers stronger than green and so forth)

This is one of those things I'm not entirely sure about. I've seen images and videos with lasers being seen, and I know lasers can fire visible light. I'm just not too sure. Because red wavelengths are closer to infrared, I don't think it'd be possible to actually see that, due to our eyes' inability to see wavelengths either too short or too long.

Friendlysociopath wrote:and what would be a reasonable power for it to be able to deal with tanks?

I don't have the source I found for this, but I recall that the DEW would need an intensity of 10,000 W/m^2. I believe it was m^2, or perhaps cm^2.

Friendlysociopath wrote:Also, since you brought it up, what would be the best way to have a sharp- durable- sword? At least without resorting to fictional metals?

Steel would probably be your best option still.

Friendlysociopath wrote:Oh- since you're helping so much with the laser- would you like to name the weapon? I haven't done it yet and it certainly does need a name.

I thought perhaps H.O.N.E.Y.D.E.W. High Optical Naval Electro . . . something. I'm not sure what "Y" would mean. Then you have Directed-Energy Weapon.

Friendlysociopath wrote:Purely for context- a lot of his equipment is "overkill" for dealing with humans because the threats he deals with are superhumans like himself (Although not quite the same obviously).
For example- normal stun grenades are 170-180 decibels- the ones he uses are instead over 200- it'd be fatal for him to use them on a human.
The first real opponent he faces is a Subject I named 'Ripper'. It's essentially a D&D troll strong enough to pick up an Abrams tank and rip it in half.
The guy can't possibly fight that thing toe-toe-toe physically- and he has no special powers like the other Subjects- so he needs to use his wits and equipment to even the field.

It sounds like your character would need something to dampen sound energy so his insides don't get disrupted by pressure waves. I think the correct term is "hydrostatic shock".
Mea quidem sententia
Ready For Action

Postby Friendlysociopath » Thu May 19, 2016 2:09 pm

Mea quidem sententia wrote:Don't let me stop you from having fun with your work.

Oh you won't. I value feedback but it has yet to actually make me go against what I want to do (which has admittedly pissed off my animation professor sometimes).
I'm aware I can't have fully accurate science- but it's good to have feedback and I do take it in most of the time.

Mea quidem sententia wrote:The reason is because all of the power is put into that one pulse.

So what Samus does then? A pulse at the front that has all of the power? I'm thinking the 3 modes would be something like: Pulse, Normal Laser, and then the last would be like a wide-angle version if that is possible.

Mea quidem sententia wrote:This is one of those things I'm not entirely sure about. I've seen images and videos with lasers being seen, and I know lasers can fire visible light. I'm just not too sure.

I'll be looking into it myself- I really want to test myself with writing around invisible lasers. Funnily enough, one of the involved scientists is a fan of the Ninja Turtles and is working on laser-ninja-stars. Pretty much a trump card for Subject 000 due to how expensive and fragile they are. Press the button and throw it- after a delay the thing fires out lasers that will carve straight through steel. (Still trying to figure out how many rotations the thing should be capable of making with the lasers 'on').

Mea quidem sententia wrote:I thought perhaps H.O.N.E.Y.D.E.W. High Optical Naval Electro . . . something. I'm not sure what "Y" would mean. Then you have Directed-Energy Weapon.

Hmmm... yapping? yowling? yipping? Those would work if turning the thing on and firing it makes a noise...
Or we could try using Yoctosecond for how fast it does something- albeit that's an absurdly small amount of time.
Friendlysociopath
Voice of the People

Postby Alpha or Omega » Tue May 24, 2016 1:03 pm

Mea Quidem Sententia wrote:I've always taken Stark to be hard science. Soft science from my understanding refers to things like psychology and sociology.

No, no, no.
I said hard Sci-Fi
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/M ... onHardness
"Darn-sung, dang-busted, horse-thievin', alien control panel which can't nobody work proper!" - Vigilante
Alpha or Omega
Zombie Eater

Postby Friendlysociopath » Fri Jun 03, 2016 12:57 am

Well- I used HONEYDEW for the laser- I'll figure out the wording later when someone (in-universe) actually explains what it does.
Also the sword he's going to get is... going to require some suspension of disbelief. Essentially it has the organs of a Subject who could control gravity crammed into it- so every time it strikes something- it's mass doubles for everyone but the user. So the 3kg sword becomes a 6kg sword. The 6kg sword becomes 12kg. 12 - 24 - 48 - 96 - 192... and it never gets heavier for Subject 000 so long as the control device on his arm isn't damaged.
Friendlysociopath
Voice of the People

Previous

Return to FactPile Arena