FACTPILE IS BACK!!!
CLICK HERE TO SEE FOR YOURSELF
Take a Tour of the Admin's Mancave

The FactPiler's Guide to Properly Calculating

Designated Debating Area! As Well As Expanded Mayhem!

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Authors

Re: The FactPiler's Guide to Properly Calculating

Postby Kitten Lord » Sat Jan 02, 2016 5:28 pm

A detective doesn't just find evidence and consider some evidence to be higher than others until he has gone through all of it.

Indeed, and when he does go through it and finds he has on one hand a scribble on the wall or on the other irrefutable CCTV evidence of the murderer then obviously one piece is more useful to him than the other, and its the more realistic piece that he would use.

Scientists don't do this, either. So the idea of a hierarchy is completely unscientific.

A scientist would try to come to the most logical outcome possible. An experiment that gives off impossible results, even consistently can be flawed. in this case game-play by its very nature is a flawed way to determine lore over the cinematics because the former can be bent to suit the players enjoyment who are not relevant to the canon while the cinematics are static and directly made by the developers to determine lore.

If a cut-scene portrayed something that was not supported by in-game description, character dialogue, and game play, then it wouldn't matter what the cut-scene shows because it's been outweighed.

It would not be outweighed because like i said, its far heavier. If you put descriptions, dialogue and game-play onto the scales on what side and cinematics on the other, the cinematics always weigh more.

but what they represent is not

They represent how many hits the player can sustain from the enemies in-game until they lose a life or have to reload a checkpoint.

If you cannot tell the difference between a game mechanic and what's canon just from game play alone, then your skill at gleaning information is poor.

Not sure what this is an answer to, and honestly just looks like the typed equivalent of a spiteful cry. It is easy to tell what is and is not a game-play mechanic in most cases but the simple fact that cinematics have none is why you can generally point them out as more factual than game-play. If you ignore a cutscene and take the game-play over it then it is almost like suggesting there was no point in the cut-scene at all and the developer wasted their time puting it in when in fact its often the primary storyline/lore source in a game.

Even if we removed cut-scenes, we could just take Ocarina of Time alone and glean all of this based on manuals, in-game descriptions, and game play.

What are you trying to argue here? my argument was cut-scenes supercede game-play, but that Game-play can still be used as long as it is not contradicted. Yes you can find a lot from game-play, a lot of Legacy of Kains story and events are in game-play but some mechanics also lie within, hence why I would not use game-play to supercede a cutscene.
Kitten Lord
Organ Grinder

Postby Mea quidem sententia » Sat Jan 02, 2016 6:08 pm

I know this won't get anywhere, and you haven't given a persuasive argument on why cut-scenes are higher or heavier, other than that they are and that by nature, game play is flawed. I suspect you're concerned with LoK and Kain's durability as well as Raziel. You tend to be when none of that needn't be brought up. If you need to know, I made this thread due to the sudden in flux of people from different message boards recently. Good day.
Mea quidem sententia
Ready For Action

Postby Kitten Lord » Sat Jan 02, 2016 6:28 pm

It has no relevance to LoK, I just never understood why you could not grasp why Cut scenes are a higher canon. You admit a lot of boards that debate this sort of thing consider it, so its clearly not just me who thinks cutscenes are to be used and I think I gave a fairly clear reason. And i will bold it; they are not twisted or warped by anything that could be there for the players benefit in terms of playing the game and therefore, regardless of whether we can dissect mechanics or purely player driven content from game-play and just use the lore and sensible stuff, this is just not necessary for cut scenes which are a developers way of directly giving us a drip feed into the lore so to speak.

This does not take away from anything of worth we can find in game-play unless the cut-scene for whatever reason disregards it.
Kitten Lord
Organ Grinder

Postby Amm0vamp1r3 » Mon Apr 11, 2016 7:18 pm

Interesting, I'll probably be citing this once or twice
Amm0vamp1r3
Primarch

Postby Siggymansz » Sun Jul 03, 2016 4:26 am

I agree more with kitten lords sentiment in regards to this. (Unless the creator has explicitly stated otherwise)

It may also be worth noting that even the original post reconciles this quibble you two had.

Rule #5 Narrative-
Rule #6 Canon-
- are greater than Physics

Spoiler
Cut-scenes are a device used in games to help tell the story, not the only device but a very common one.

Spoiler
Cutscenes are essentially part of a video games narrative provided said video game features/includes cutscenes

Spoiler
unless otherwise stated or inferred, most cutscenes would be canon

Spoiler
Gameplay could be argued to fall under that games physics

Spoiler
Reading this thread was hilarious and I thank you for making it, the first post is legitimately helpful too new people and the replies are/were funny to read

Spoiler
If I ever get around to it I'll catalogue the logical fallacies featured here, I gotta finish mine first though

Spoiler
edit: to the peanut gallery I leave you this; "The fallacy fallacy, Presuming that because a claim has been poorly argued, or a fallacy has been made, that the claim itself must be wrong."
Spoiler
Siggymansz
Primarch

Previous

Return to FactPile Arena