FACTPILE IS BACK!!!
CLICK HERE TO SEE FOR YOURSELF
Take a Tour of the Admin's Mancave

Kain the Scion of Balance (legacy of Kain) [Discussion]

Many are called, but only few are chosen.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Re: Kain the Scion of Balance (legacy of Kain) [Discussion]

Postby Amm0vamp1r3 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:05 pm

Amm0vamp1r3
Primarch

Postby Kitten Lord » Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:45 am

Very cool, I think I got into the beta for the game but I cant find the URL again, I hope I did not delete it.
Kitten Lord
Organ Grinder

Postby Amm0vamp1r3 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:26 pm

I like these things, they give nice little tid bits of info

Vampires who inhabit the land of Nosgoth evolve over the centuries, with their familiar Human features progressively morphing into distinctively Vampiric forms.

All Vampires evolve by retreating into quiescent states from which they emerge transformed. Each of the Vampire Clans in Nosgoth pupates in a different fashion - some burrow underground for example, while others cocoon themselves.

Over the course of time, Vampires evolve further and further from their Human origins. Younger Vampires are referred to as ‘fledglings’ - not as developed as adults, they are more vulnerable to the harmful rays of sunlight, whereas their older counterparts have largely evolved beyond this vulnerability.

The older the Vampire, the more evolved it becomes. ‘Adult’ vampires are easily distinguishable from fledglings by their more beastly appearance.
Amm0vamp1r3
Primarch

Postby Kitten Lord » Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:22 pm

Yes, even though its a game set apart form the main "series", we can still have nuggets like that which give us a look into the world of Nosgoth. I can hardly wait till its in full swing and released.

It would be cool if based on your wins you get extra bits of lore unlocked. I wouldn't be surprised if they did that actually.
Kitten Lord
Organ Grinder

Postby Amm0vamp1r3 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 4:30 pm

I think they may do like DC universe online where they have weekly or monthly events that tell a story and reveal some type of lore. But that's just what I think
Amm0vamp1r3
Primarch

Postby Mea quidem sententia » Mon Jun 16, 2014 8:24 pm

While granite has a density of 2.6 g/cm^3, gabbro (black granite) has a density of 2.7 g/cm^3. I am assuming Raziel is 175 centimeters tall. I'll find the volume of the head of the obelisk.

V = a^2 h/3
= 175 cm^2 * 175 cm/3
= 1,786,458 cm^3

2.7 g/cm^3 * 1,786,458 cm^3
= 4,823,437 g (4.82 metric tons)

Now for the frustum. The height was at least 12 Raziel's tall, excluding the head of the obelisk. That already has been calculated and will be added after.

V = 1/3 π h (R^2 + r^2 + sqrt(R^2 r^2))
= 1/3 π * 2,100 cm. (350 cm^2 + 175 cm^2 + sqrt(350 cm^2 * 175 cm^2))
= 471,196,250 cm^3

2.7 g/cm^3 * 471,196,250 cm^3
= 1,272,229,875 g (1,272 metric tons)

1,272 mt + 4.82 mt = 1,277 mt

This strangely and obviously is a larger number compared to the results given on the first page. I haven't a clue as to why. Here's the problem, though. Using real-world physics, one must question if real-world obelisks should be used as well. Real-world obelisks don't actually weigh that many tons. According to Wikipedia, the largest obelisk, Great Stele, was 33 meters and weighed 520 tons. Well, the closest we have compared to the one in the game is 23 meters and over 280 short tons. So, when it comes right down to it, there's that bit of conflict. So the earlier weight on the first page, 292 tons, isn't far off and I'd say that it's a more reasonable calculation.

Why was I doing this? I don't know. I guess I just wanted to calculate this to make sure the numbers were reasonable.
Mea quidem sententia
Ready For Action

Postby Kitten Lord » Tue Jun 17, 2014 6:14 am

Thanks dude, a lot of people have had a go at that obelisk. Weve had people from other sites, added some math and workings and as an estimate the 250-300 ton range is as close as weve gotten I think to a solid number. Ill add your workngs here to the main page! :D
Kitten Lord
Organ Grinder

Postby Mea quidem sententia » Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:29 am

Kitten Lord wrote:Thanks dude, a lot of people have had a go at that obelisk. Weve had people from other sites, added some math and workings and as an estimate the 250-300 ton range is as close as weve gotten I think to a solid number. Ill add your workngs here to the main page! :D

You're welcome. From what I see, the reason why the first calculation ended up with a much lower calculation is because above the base, it was assumed the top part was four times higher, which meant that 175 cm. * 4 is 700 cm. Then it was doubled, so ended up being 1,400 cm. But I see it being six times higher than the base, hence 2,100 cm. Visually, I'd say mine is probably more accurate, but again, as far as calculations go, the first calculation is closer to an actual obelisk. Even the calculation with Link in OoT is closer to an actual obelisk. I calculated that to end up being 188 short tons.
Mea quidem sententia
Ready For Action

Postby Kitten Lord » Fri Sep 26, 2014 7:19 am

Updated the Thread with some new math Mea and I have gone over in some detail during our discussions. This should be more refined the the initial math.

I removed the contents page since it was buggy and the new math went over the 60k text limit anyway, I also made the titles look a bit more unique and stand out by changing font colours. Before it was just a wall of black text.

Also fixed the main image of the page, Kain now has a picture under his "scion of balance" title on the first page.
Kitten Lord
Organ Grinder

Postby Mea quidem sententia » Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:42 am

I'd recommend you change the "terapascal" to "gigapascal", since I erred and mentioned it on the thread we had the discussion with Kain and Starkiller. As I said there, despite it being another magnitude lower, it would still make Kain's skin as hard a diamond.
Mea quidem sententia
Ready For Action

PreviousNext

Return to FactPile Respect