FACTPILE IS BACK!!!
CLICK HERE TO SEE FOR YOURSELF
Take a Tour of the Admin's Mancave

Samus Aran [Discussion]

Many are called, but only few are chosen.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Re: Samus Aran [Discussion]

Postby Mea quidem sententia » Fri Oct 02, 2015 6:30 pm

Recalculation: How much energy can the plasma beam produce in Metroid Prime 3: Corruption?
This is the third time I have had to correct an error. Based on previous calculations, I decided I’d go a step further with what I found with regard to the tinbots in Metroid Prime 3: Corruption. In my previous recalculation with regard to tinbots, I found the volume and thus, found the mass of a single tinbot, which is 2,532.86 kg. Using the heat of vaporization for tin, which is 296.1 kJ/mol, I was able to determine the amount of kJ/kg. using 296.1 kJ/mol * 1/118.710 mol, which is the atomic mass. I ended up with a result of 2,494 J, or 2,494 J/g. This is equal to 2.494 * 10^6 J/kg. With the mass of the tinbot, the total amount of energy to melt one would be 6.318 GJ, or 1.51 tons of TNT.
Mea quidem sententia
Ready For Action

Postby Mea quidem sententia » Sat Jan 23, 2016 5:21 pm

How powerful is the plasma beam?
The last time I spoke about the plasma beam from the 2D Metroid video games, I mentioned the description given by the official Metroid Fusion Web site, which says, “The Plasma Beam’s three lasers can easily cut through enemies, continuing on to take out even more foes.” These lasers are the important aspect to the plasma beam’s penetrative ability because plasma doesn’t actually cut through anything, except in the case of plasma cutting. However, that type of plasma is appropriate for the plasma beams portrayed in Metroid Prime and especially Metroid Prime 3: Corruption, which can be used for plasma welding.

I mentioned before that the plasma beam utilizes what’s known as a laser-induced plasma channel, and with the electrical discharge from the muzzle and along the beam itself, this would make it an electrolaser. I’ve been curious for a while on just how powerful the plasma beam is. Not only can it penetrate through multiple targets at once, this would require a lot of energy to penetrate and continue along its path afterwards. One way I thought about figuring out the amount of energy is by noting that the plasma beam is not referred to as "laser beam". The emphasis has been on the fact that it’s producing plasma.

In order to produce plasma from a laser, it would need to be capable of ionizing that air. There’s ionizing radiation and non-ionizing radiation. The former will be what I’m focused on. While I don’t know what type of laser is being used, I do have an idea of what it might be. It’s important to note that lasers aren’t restricted to visible light. There are two reasons for this. First, light technically refers to all electromagnetic spectra, not just visible light. Second, radio waves, x-rays and gamma rays are photons, not just visible light. Lasers may utilize infrared or ultraviolet, both of which are invisible to the naked eye.

Because a laser must ionize air in order to create plasma, we should find out the required ionization energy to remove an electron from nitrogen, which is what air is mostly comprised of. The ionizing energy of nitrogen is 1,402 kJ/mol. Avogadro’s constant is 6.022140857 × 10^23 mol. Dividing the ionizing energy over Avogadro’s constant gives us 2.328076 × 10^-18 kg m^2/s^2. Now we can find the wavelength of the laser. We’ll need Planck’s constant and the speed of light and divide it the amount of energy of ionizing energy of nitrogen. [(6.62607004 × 10^-34 m^2 kg/s)(299,792,458 m/s)] / (2.328076 × 10^-18 kg m^2/s^2) is 8.53256 × 10^-8, or 85.33 nanometers. This places the laser under far ultraviolet.
Mea quidem sententia
Ready For Action

Postby Mea quidem sententia » Sat Feb 20, 2016 6:11 pm

The type of laser from the plasma beam as portrayed in the 2D Metroid game based on the fact that it is using a laser-induced plasma channel and must ionize the air, as well as the higher frequencies to penetrate water puts the laser under hard x-ray, which is just a higher energy x-ray, as opposed to soft x-rays. The laser, thus, is very close to the gamma ray range.
Mea quidem sententia
Ready For Action

Postby Mea quidem sententia » Thu Apr 07, 2016 2:49 pm

I will assume that Samus is standing at 180 cm. here, even though her height is 190 cm. The reason for this assumption is because she's not standing upright. How sharp is the Omega Metroid's claws? Like all characters with pointed claws, I also assume just 1 px., even if such doesn't seem to be the case, only because I seek to find the farthest pixel connected to the animation.

(1 px.)(180 cm. / 282 px.)(10 mm. / 1 cm.) = 6.383 mm.
Mea quidem sententia
Ready For Action

Previous

Return to FactPile Respect