FACTPILE IS BACK!!!
CLICK HERE TO SEE FOR YOURSELF
Take a Tour of the Admin's Mancave

The Legend of Zelda Respect Thread

Many are called, but only few are chosen.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Re: The Legend of Zelda Respect Thread

Postby Mea quidem sententia » Tue Mar 17, 2015 1:46 pm

Alpha or Omega wrote:*Clap Clap Clap Clap*
How long did this take you? Three years? That must have been stressful.
Good work my friend.

My post before the last one was August 25, 2014. It didn't take me three years, but I was surprised to see how close this was. The other thing could be that the speed of wind might be confused with the speed of sound, just like how the magic cape conflated "invisibility" with "intangibility", considering Link can walk on spikes unharmed. The only example where Link outruns his own arrow is in A Link to the Past. In A Link Between Worlds, this isn't possible, since the arrow is off screen before Link can use the Pegasus boots. If Link can do this in another Zelda game, then we might be able to say that the Pegasus boots allow Link to run Mach 1.2.
Mea quidem sententia
Ready For Action

Postby Mea quidem sententia » Wed Jun 03, 2015 3:50 pm

Bomb yield in The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker
Before we can begin to determine the yield of a single bomb from The Wind Waker, we need to figure out the size of the bomb and the explosive material it likely uses. I will always assume child Link and adult Link have the same height and mass for all incarnations for simplicity. I have assumed Link’s height to be 147.32 cm. This is equivalent to 86 pixels in the game. I will also assume the casing of the bomb is 1 pixel. 1 divided by 86 is 1.16%. Using Link’s height of 147.32 cm., this means the casing’s thickness is 1.71 cm. The entire bomb is 38 pixels. Again, with the same method, this means the bomb has a diameter of 65.09 cm. With this in mind, I will subtract 1.71 cm. from 65.09 cm., which results in 63.38 cm.

I will assume the entire inside of the bomb is filled with the explosive. I still don’t know what the explosive is, however. While the Zelda universe may have some advanced technology, from what I recall, this is only found in areas where gods or god-like beings once dwelled. So my focus will really be on the era the Zelda universe seems to take place, which would be in Medieval times. What explosive was used in Medieval times? Black powder, or what’s commonly known today as gunpowder. This can be supported from lore. In The Legend of Zelda: Majora’s Mask, there is a creature known as Nejiron. Tatl will tell Link to not get too close, as this creature smells like gunpowder. [1]

Then there’s the Bomb Shop owner, who according to the Gossip Stone tells Link that the blast mask uses gunpowder. [2] Another person like the owner named Bomb-Master Cannon also uses gunpowder, as well as other explosives. [3] While it’s possible that the bombs could use other explosives, it seems likely that they use gunpowder on the basis that it’s specifically said. And finally, the blast ring in The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons is called “gunpowder ring” in the Japanese. [4] Now that this has been established, I’ll need to find the volume of the inside part of the bomb. Since I have the diameter, using 4/3 * pi * r^3 will give us the volume of 133,319.48 cm^3.

Finally, what is the density of gunpowder? It looks like modern gunpowder has a density of 1.7 g/cm^3. [5] Since we have the volume, multiplying both the volume and density will give us a mass of 226,643.1 g. There are 3,000 joules per gram in gunpowder. [6] Since we have 226,643.1 g., that means the amount of energy from a single bomb would be 679,929,285.79 joules, or 162.51 kilograms of TNT.

1. “That’s a Nejiron. Don’t get too close to it. Sniff . . . Sniff . . . It smells like gunpowder!” – Tatl, The Legend of Zelda: Majora’s Mask
2. “The old woman with knowledge of explosives has a dangerous mask filled with gunpowder . . .” – Gossip Stone, ibid.
3. “Cannon is the world’s only maker of bombs. He considers himself a magician with gunpowder and other explosives.” – Bomb-Master Cannon figurine from The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker
4. Oracle of Seasons Translations/Items
5. Chapter I: Properties of Explosives
6. Energy density – Wikipedia
--------------------
https://meaquidemsententia.wordpress.co ... ind-waker/
Mea quidem sententia
Ready For Action

Postby Mea quidem sententia » Fri Jun 05, 2015 12:36 pm

Powder keg yield in The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
In my previous post, I presented evidence defending what type of explosive is used in the Zelda universe and came up with how much energy a single bomb produces. This time, I'm interested in the powder keg. Using the same information as before, I can come up with an estimate. However, I had to do a bit of modifying when it came to figuring out the height of Goron Link and the differences in the size of Goron Link and the powder keg. What I mean is that when Link holds a bomb, the camera kind of pans out, so the amount of pixels will alter.

Goron Link has a height of 217 pixels, where as Link has a height of 116 pixels. Dividing 217 over 116 gives me a 187% difference. I assume Link is 147.32 cm., so that means Goron Link is 275.59 cm. tall. With this in mind, I can transition this information onto the powder keg. When Goron Link is holding the powder keg, he's 125 pixels tall, so we can say that 125 pixels is equal to 275.59 cm. While I should be looking for the height of the powder keg, the way I must calculate would actually require me to rotate the powder keg so that the length becomes the height.

One side of the powder keg is 32 pixels, but I'm going to only use 31 pixels because I'm going to assume the casing is a pixel thick and all I really care about is the gunpowder inside of it. This means 31 pixels is equal to 68.35 cm. The length of the powder keg is 82 pixels, but again, I only care about the inside of the powder keg and am assuming the casing is 1 pixel thick, so 81 pixels is 178.58 cm. Now that we have the numbers, using the formula to find the volume of a hexagonal prism gives us 2,167,307.92 cm^3. Using 1.7 g/cm^3 gives us 3,684,423.47 g., and since there's 3,000 J/g in gunpowder, energy of a powder keg is 11,053,270,400.01 J, or 2.64 tons of TNT.
Mea quidem sententia
Ready For Action

Postby Alpha or Omega » Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:12 pm

With Breath of the Wild already out, I guess it should be mentioned that Zelda is getting an Encyclopedia.

From what I have been told, Termina is going back to being a parallel world and not part of the same planet as Hyrule.
However, it's an alternate reality brought by Skull Kid, and it ceases to exist once Link leaves.

A shame that Negative Zero isn't here. Say what you want about him, he was really good at editing this stuff.
"Darn-sung, dang-busted, horse-thievin', alien control panel which can't nobody work proper!" - Vigilante
Alpha or Omega
Zombie Eater

Postby koiseptember » Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:51 am

To be fair, the developers would have needed to make Link unaffected by his surroundings in order for the game to progress. Otherwise, Link wouldn't complete his mission(s). I don't think they had in mind that Link was immune to changes in time. This would require Link to be outside of spacetime. Not only would this cease time, but motion as well, and Link can clearly move. Another idea would be that Link would be projecting himself from another dimension, but how the interaction would work without being affected by the time manipulation is unknown.

goldenslot
koiseptember
Plebe

Postby Alpha or Omega » Sun Jul 23, 2017 3:26 am

You know a person is a bot when they're blue, copy a paragraph of text from some one else, post something that was relevant several years ago, and have a link on the bottom of their posts.
"Darn-sung, dang-busted, horse-thievin', alien control panel which can't nobody work proper!" - Vigilante
Alpha or Omega
Zombie Eater

Previous

Return to FactPile Respect