FACTPILE IS BACK!!!
CLICK HERE TO SEE FOR YOURSELF
Take a Tour of the Admin's Mancave

Short Story Collection

Share your literary skills with other Factpilers

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Short Story Collection

Postby Hitman H94 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:55 am

Okay I had to write 3 short stories within a total of 2,500 words, I am gonna order it shortest to longest.

Silent Train
David and Maria sat across from each other as they were chugging along, heading towards London. Maria was tapping away on her laptop, sorting out appointments for her boss’ clients. David, on the other hand, was lost in his thoughts as he stared through the window, not paying attention to the scenery flying past him.

“You alright Dave?” Maria asked slowly David knew that he had been caught red handed; he knew that she could read his mind like a book. He let off a sigh and looked at Maria.

“How is she Maria? How is Ali?”

Maria raised her eyebrows and stared back into the light of the laptop, resuming the constant tapping of the keyboard. “Still the same old Ali, thinking he is better than everyone but after that day she has been releasing her stress on me and the rest of the team, we have been working overnight for the past week!”

David could sense the frustration in her voice; he felt that he was partly guilty for Maria being stressed.

“I’m sorry, I shouldn’t have bothered going for someone younger, it was a stupid idea.” David stared back through the window as he let that snippet of speech stick in his mind. She stopped typing and closed her laptop; David began looking at his own hands as he started fidgeting around.

“You have nothing to be sorry for, you are the victim here not me, she was a gold digger nothing more.” She held his hand as she spoke softly causing David to look in Maria’s eyes, “You, your boys and daughter will be much better off without her, you’ll find someone else more suitable for you around your age.” Like a thunder strike, David’s expression changed; Maria slowly pulled her hands back.

“I may be hitting the fifties soon but that doesn’t mean I am not good lucking enough for someone younger than me! My body is exactly as it was when I was 30; I went to the gym 5 times a week and now look at it! Still the same muscular body it was then and I only go 4 times a week now! I didn’t for your opinion on the type of girl I should date...” David broke eye contact with Maria and glared at every passing object through the window; his sorrowful regrets in his thoughts were replaced with rage and anger. This was good enough for Maria as long as she didn’t have to talk about Ali for the rest of the journey she could continue with her work. She opened up her laptop and the continuous typing filled in the silence.

World War III
War had devastated the world as it continued to crumble under the commands of the remaining two warlords. The Raging Dragons had been wiped out, they originated from Japan and spread across Asia but were stopped by a group who called themselves the Death Dealers, the leader of this vicious group was known simply as the General, he created his group of bandits from the UK but it is rumoured that he had been recruiting soldiers from other countries allowing him to make his global attack. The Freedom Fighters were formed in North America and some parts of South America; they are one of the remaining groups left standing. The now extinct Rangers from Africa fought to the very end in their home country Egypt.

The war was seemingly coming to a point which could go either way, towards the freedom Fighters or the Death Dealers. The Freedom Fighters had taken North and South America, Greenland, North Africa, South Africa and Congo. The Death Dealers had the remaining countries under their power. The General and James, the leaders of the Freedom Fighters, were sat in a room together, they knew the next moves they made was important, no mistakes could be made, it was now or never for them both. Without any hesitation, James attacked first and led his troops in Greenland to attack Iceland; unfortunately for the general he hadn’t put enough troops to defend himself from such a large force, Iceland quickly fell and now belonged to the Freedom Fighters. James attack didn’t stop there, news of Iceland being taken morale soldiers everywhere and troops began advancing from North America to Greenland and Iceland, fortifying their new land. Soldiers from South America sailed the seas and joined the brothers in North Africa and eradicated the Death Dealers fully from Africa. The General scowled as his troop number dwindled, James smirked as he sensed the anger.

“My turn kid.” The General began barking orders and the troops obediently listened and fell into place. Australia was now empty of soldiers allowing civilians to try and get back to their lives; Asia however was now full of Death Dealers. The General ordered his troops to take back Iceland which he believed was rightfully his. The attempt was futile and he lost more soldiers for that small piece of land. If there was one place the General couldn’t lose it was the United Kingdom, it was his home. The General sent more troops to the UK in order to make the ultimate defence. James watched silently planning tactics in his head as he waited for his time to strike; taking the UK was going to be difficult but he believed in his team. The General’s troop stopped and waited for the inevitable attack. James gave the command and Iceland began a barrage of fire onto the UK.

The UK was barely holding, the Death Dealers tried to hold their ground but became overrun. James plan was to simply remove all existence of the Death Dealers, one continent at a time. James began the second part of his attack, he moved his men to fortify east Africa, Egypt and North Africa; from there the relentless assault continued as North Africa attacked Western Europe and Egypt attacked Southern Europe. The General looked in horror as he was slowly losing more and more soldiers and more importantly land. Europe was getting hit badly, who knew what the casualties will be like, but for the moment neither leaders considered others. Within a matter of moments the Death Dealers presence was slowly disappearing as both the South and West of Europe had new owners. Morale seemed to be on James side, he knew this and took full advantage as he gave a signal for the invasion to continue, eventually Ukraine and Scandinavia belonged to the Freedom Fighters, as the ultimate defence every force available was sent to Ukraine in order to launch the biggest attack they could muster. The General looked at James in horror as he imagined what was going to happen next. Asia didn’t stand well from such a large force, the cavalry lead the charge as canoneers covered them from behind. James held the new positions he had now obtained as the General’s last men fled into the isolation of Australia. James looked at the General.

“I’ll give you one chance to surrender and I’ll spare your men.”

“My men and I will fight till the very end; we won’t give in to people like you.” The General sat up straight as he watched the last of the Death Dealers fight for the lives. James’ soldiers took Indonesia and New Guinea they knew victory was in sight once Australia was liberated, they weren’t going to start holding back now. Meanwhile, in Australia the few left standing were making final preparations, their orders were to fight till the very end, until death. Luck seemed to be shining on the General as his team managed to survive the first few waves of soldiers but they were outnumbered. As the final soldier dropped and the final dice fell, the General had lost and put his head in his hands. James leaped up in the air yelling, “Victory! It is mine!”

The General stood up and in a fit of rage shouted, “I’m never playing Risk with any of you again! You’re all cheats!”

The General stormed out as the three remaining friends laughed with each other.

“Another game?”

“Hell yeah!”

The Wild
Seth, Alex and Ralph slowly walked up to the supermarket, scanning the area as they entered unknown territory.

“Seems clear to me,” Seth said as he lowered his gun.

“Good, Alex you go and look in that trash can and Seth you take the one next to it, I’ll be on watch,” Ralph ordered and the two did as they were told.

No-one was bothered about the smell, after all this time they had gotten used to it, the smell was a part of them now.

“I got nothing, just junk.”

“Same here man.”

They both stopped searching and made their way towards Ralph.

“I guess we got no choice but to go in the supermarket and I doubt we will be welcomed in,” Ralph sighed, “Take the safety off on your guns and remember if you see anything that we can eat or use, grab it!”

Seth and Alex nodded in agreement and took their guns off safety. All three made their way to the entrance and as if they were spies crept in.

The supermarket was huge, derelict and seemed to go on forever. Darkness shrouded them as they slowly ventured into the building; gleams of light broke through the cracked walls and roof. The trio cautiously made their way towards the aisle in front of them. Ralph continued to crouch forward as he ignored the rubbish gathered across the floor.

“Whoa, whoa, whoa! Maybe we should split up cover more ground.” Alex had pulled Ralph back so he would listen.

“Bad idea, we got no idea who or what is in here, we are sticking together.” Alex let go of Ralph as the three continued making their way into the supermarket. Seth lagged behind as he tried fiddling with a switch checking to see if the lights would work.

“The power is probably dead in this building like everywhere else.” Seth looked at Alex, nodded in agreement and started searching the aisles and floor.

“Bingo,” Alex ad Ralph turned and stared at Seth wow a holing up two cans of baked beans. The two made their way further into the supermarket as Seth was checking the shelves much more closely. In the distant an alarming sound caught their attention, someone or something was here just as Ralph had expected.

“What was that?” Alex gripped the back of Ralph’s worn out coat, Alex was never one to remain calm. Ralph shrugged off Alex’s grip, “I dunno, maybe a tin can fell or something.”

Another clang echoed throughout the supermarket. Alex jumped back and Ralph quickly put his back towards the shelves. Alex looked back to find Seth but couldn’t see him.

“Do you think Seth went off ahead? I can’t see him behind us.” Seth wouldn’t go off on his own, Ralph knew that much.

“I dunno but it sounded like it came from ahead, we need to check it out.” Ralph began scanning the area as his lowly advanced to the source of the sound. Every step was met with quick eye movement, making sure no traps would be waiting for them.

“Look Ralph let’s just grab Seth and get out of here!” Alex was beginning to panic. He had never been in a fight before and he had hoped he would never have to get into a fight out in the Wild.

“You know we can’t! We need that water or Lucy won’t make it, she has had far too much of that radiated shit! I won’t let anything happen to her, you got it?”

A large rustling sound came from two aisles from where they were. Ralph was determined to make a stand against whatever was there.

“Okay, follow me!” Ralph ran towards where he thought he heard the sound and Alex followed him like a terrified puppy. Ralph stopped at the aisle where the noise had come from; Ralph stared down the sight on his assault rifle and entered the aisle, no light hit their path, they couldn’t trust their eyes; it was time for the other sense to come into play. Both Alex and Ralph walked slowly as if they were trying to sneak past a bear, not wanting to wake it up. A clattering noise broke out beside Ralph and in horror jumped and opened fire.

“Ralph stop!” Ralph fired a few bullets and looked. A shelf had been tilting and the cans were sliding off. “It is just a few cans,” Alex began checking the cans in hopes that the treasure they held could still be eaten, “Damn, all are past expiry date, well it is not like we have a choice.”

“We’ll come back here tomorrow, let’s leave.” Ralph whispered, he didn’t want to be here any longer they had found some food for now, it was better than most days.

“Good, this place-” Alex dropped to the ground and blood pumped out of him, Ralph instantly began sprinting towards the exit. He didn’t see where the shot had come from; it was too dangerous to stay here. But wait, what about Seth? He had thought to himself. He changed his course and went back to the aisle they were in first.

“Seth! Seth! Let’s go! We have to leave now!” Ralph was out of breath and screaming as loud as he could, then he saw partially in some light a hand lying on the floor. Ralph spun around and ran for the door. The exit wasn’t much further, Ralph used his remaining energy you make a dash back outside, back into the Wild. He charged his way through the door and ran as far away as he could get from the place. He hid behind a rock and looked back at the supermarket, no-one followed him out. Ralph sat beside the rock as he looked around, he couldn’t stay here long, he didn’t even know what did it, it might have been a bullet or it might have been something else altogether.

After a brief moment of rest he got up and left the area, making his way back to Lucy. He thought about Alex and Seth, there was nothing I could do, nothing; that was all that he could tell himself. At least they were out of this nightmare, this hell. Making his way back he witnessed a few things that reminded him there was no going back to his old life, no one was. Everything was gone; treasures, friends, family, everything. Buildings were barely standing, sand and dirt covered the little grass that remained. The radiation had affected everything, towns, cities, his home. England wasn’t home anymore, nowhere was. What was once England was now the Wild, the place where it was a mutated monsters eat survivors world. No-one believed it would happen; no-one expected the nuclear war to ever happen.

Hitman H94
Ascended Slumdog

Re: Short Story Collection

Postby Ruliya » Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:38 am

They're not bad. Good work though ^^

Silent Train was your weakest story, there wasn't enough substance to it, there was no explanations.
Spoiler
Who are the team, and what are they working on, why are they all being stressed out by Ali? Then this doesn't matter, because you change tacks and it's about his wife. It seemed more confusing. I could see what you were going for, the awkward silence reflected in your title. I just don't think it worked cohesively. But that's me ;P

World War III was an interesting one,
Spoiler
though it was easy to see what you were doing from the start, that it was a game of Risk. I'm not sure if that was your intention, or wanted a reveal at the end.

The Wild, reading that felt like I was playing Fallout 3 again xD Those supermarkets were damn scary at times!
Spoiler
It was interesting that you never revealed what killed the two men, keeping up the mystery adds to the story. However, I feel Fallout did inspire you, as water cures rads in the game, but not so much in rl ;P Try a Nuka Cola! xD

Keep up the good work ^^ I look forward to reading more of your work sweets.
http://protogonus.deviantart.com/ - My Art, such as it is.

Ruliya
Utopia Overlord

Re: Short Story Collection

Postby Hitman H94 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:49 am

Ruliya wrote:They're not bad. Good work though ^^

Silent Train was your weakest story, there wasn't enough substance to it, there was no explanations.
Spoiler
Who are the team, and what are they working on, why are they all being stressed out by Ali? Then this doesn't matter, because you change tacks and it's about his wife. It seemed more confusing. I could see what you were going for, the awkward silence reflected in your title. I just don't think it worked cohesively. But that's me ;P

Silent Train was meant to be a story where the readers should be making assumptions on the characters themselves, well that was the idea. But thanks!

Ruliya wrote:World War III was an interesting one,
Spoiler
though it was easy to see what you were doing from the start, that it was a game of Risk. I'm not sure if that was your intention, or wanted a reveal at the end.
Yeah, was waiting till the end my friend got surprised by it so I thought I worked.

Ruliya wrote:The Wild, reading that felt like I was playing Fallout 3 again xD Those supermarkets were damn scary at times!
Spoiler
It was interesting that you never revealed what killed the two men, keeping up the mystery adds to the story. However, I feel Fallout did inspire you, as water cures rads in the game, but not so much in rl ;P Try a Nuka Cola! xD
Haha definitely did! I think out of the three I had the most enjoyment writing this one, I was going to write a fic on my adventures in New Vegas but I ended up doing a lot and losing track of what I did. I may continue this story.

Ruliya wrote:Keep up the good work ^^ I look forward to reading more of your work sweets.

Thank you, definitely got m in the mood to write something now...

Hitman H94
Ascended Slumdog

Return to Articles