Take a Tour of the Admin's Mancave

From New to Old, a new story by JMT

Share your literary skills with other Factpilers

Moderator: Forum Moderators

From New to Old, a new story by JMT

Postby JMT » Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:45 pm

Rappahannock Warning Station, Northern Wastes, Confederation of New Dixie
May 16, 2094

Lt. Colonel Luke Anderson leaned back in his chair, tired from the 8 hour graveyard shift at the station. He knew the Morning Watch would be there soon, so he decided to run another check. Lt. Anderson picked up his binoculars, walked to the Observation Deck and started looking around. He started south, facing Neo Richmond 75 miles away, and started turning clockwise. He got to the 90 degree mark and saw the faint light from Rocky Station. Chuckling, he turned once more, expecting to see the fires of nomad bands dotting the Northern Wastes separating the Confederation from Alperia. What he saw, however, shocked and frightened him. He saw a city, one that wasn’t there an hour before. Hands shaking, Lt. Anderson ran downstairs and picked up the red phone, demanding someone in charge.

Presidential Mansion, New Kannapolis, Confederation of New Dixie
May 16, 2094

President Alexander Taylor glanced toward his son’s bedroom. It was 2 AM, so he knew Jacob would still be asleep. Satisfied, he continued his nighttime jaunt. He did this often in the 3 months he had been President, spending his time at nights wandering the Presidential Mansion. Alexander continued through the mansion, before arriving at the balcony. He walked out onto the wooden structure, gazing over the nighttime skyline of New Kannapolis. It was so different from his early childhood, spent with his great-uncle, the first Jacob Taylor, grounding out an existence on the edge of New Atlanta’s influence. Where he and his uncle had eaten anything available to them, now he had everything available, and it seemed too much.

He heard the deck squeak beneath him and turned, old instincts gearing up for a fight. He saw a familiar face and grinned, amused at his own mistake. “Thomas, you should know better than to sneak up on me around this time.” Thomas, an aide and old friend of Alexander’s, shared the grin, his white teeth sparkling distinctly against his black skin. “Sorry, Alex, but it seems we have a situation.” Thomas handed the President a small folder embossed with the word URGENT and the seals of the Confederation and its military. Alexander took the folder and opened it, scanning the information. “Is this accurate, Thomas?” Alexander asked his aide, his tan skin paling and his eyes hard. “Yes, sir. Rappahannock, York and Savannah Stations have confirmed every bit of it.” Alexander gulped audibly, his mind both racing and gripped by fear. “Thomas, I want the Commanders and the Minister of War here in the morning at 7. No exceptions” Thomas nodded, and with a concerned look at his friend, returned to the Mansion proper. Alexander followed 5 minutes later, entering his son’s room and sitting in the recliner he used to tell Jacob stories. He took a long swig from a silver flask and fell asleep there, ready.

White House, Washington, DC, United States of America
May 16, 2013

Barack Obama grumbled as the phone in his bedroom roused him. He had just gotten to sleep 2 hours ago and had requested not to be disturbed without exceptional cause. He ignited the lamp, causing Michelle to groan in her sleep beside him. He picked up the phone and answered, “This is the President,” allowing the sleepiness and annoyance to seep into his speaking voice. “Mr. President, this is General Dempsey, the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs. We have a situation rapidly developing that requires your attention. I’ll meet you in the Situation Room in 30 minutes.” Barack, seeing his lack of a choice in the matter, pulled on an overcoat and sweatpants and exited the room after telling Michelle where he was going. Barack strode through the halls of the White House, making sure to silence himself as he passed Malia and Sasha’s rooms.

He stormed through the mansion, going directly to the Situation Room 4 floors below and being assaulted with an array of sights and sounds. He picked Martin Dempsey’s grey hair out and strode to the General, saluting him as the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs did him. “General, what’s going on?” Dempsey sighed and directed the President’s attention to the wall of viewing screens opposite them. “MSNBC and FOX News are still up, but CNN’s down. We also have these 2 satellite photos of South Carolina and Georgia, one taken last night and the other taken 5 minutes ago. Barack studied the one from last night. He could pick out Atlanta, Columbia, Myrtle Beach and Savannah. He then directed his gaze towards tonight’s photo. Unlike the first one, he could tell where cities were, but not what city they were. Dempsey saw the President’s face wrinkle in confusion. “Mr. President, until we know precisely what’s going on, I recommend we elevate to DEFCON 3, and alert forces in North Carolina, Alabama and Florida to be ready when called for.” Barack looked at the General, and with a wariness of the situation, nodded.
I'll make him an offer he can't refuse. - Vito Corleone, The Godfather
JMT
Ready For Action

Re: From New to Old, a new story by JMT

Postby JMT » Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:47 pm

Fayetteville, North Carolina, United States of America
Morning of May 16, 2013

Captain Michael Smith of the Delta detachment at Fort Bragg was driving down the highway. He was on a mission direct “from the top.” Capt. Smith weaved through the traffic along I-95, headed for the South Carolina border, or what was the border. As he got within sight, he saw an imposing, steel structure located just behind the sign declaring one’s egress from North Carolina. He pulled up to the Army post and saluted the on-guard Lieutenant. “Captain Smith, I have a call for you.” The Lieutenant stated as he led the Captain into the makeshift border posting. Smith saw a small red phone off the hook, obviously waiting for him. He picked up the hand piece and said “Captain Smith” into the phone. “Captain.” A deep, measured voice greeted him. “This is the President, Barack Obama. After consulting with the Joint Chiefs, we have selected you to lead the first official interaction with whatever has replaced South Carolina and Georgia.” Smith sat down on the desk, head spinning from the President’s mission. Mouth dry, he ground out a “Yes, sir” before the President hung up. He took a long, slow drink of water and marched out of the trailer, picking up a bullhorn on the way.

Fenrir Warning Station, Northern Frontier, Confederation of New Dixie
Morning of May 16, 2094

Colonel Derek Woodson stood out on the observation deck. He stared north, where there would normally be irradiated desert, there was now suburbia attached to a long roadway. He saw through his binoculars a man in an open-top vehicle enter a small trailer just beyond the main road. After about 5 minutes, he saw the same man exit again, some kind of instrument in his hands. He heard a small whine before hearing a clear voice state, “Foreign Structure, this is Captain Michael Smith of the United States of America. I would like to request a meeting with an emissary.” Woodson scrambled for a microphone, finding one and greeting the voice. “This is Colonel Derek Anderson of the Confederation of New Dixie. Where would you like to meet?” The speaker was silent for a moment before replying, “Do you have any suggestions?” Woodson thought for a moment before he remembered the conference room used to talk to nomad leaders. “We have a conference room here, I’ll let you and a guest in.” Woodson walked back down to the instrumentation room and picked up the red phone.

Conference Room, Presidential Mansion, New Kannapolis, Confederation of New Dixie
May 16, 2094

Alexander Taylor strode into the conference room. The high commanders of all 5 branches of the Confederate Military as well as the Minister of War were also seated at the round table.” Gentlemen, what do we know?” The Air Marshal spoke first. “Mr. President, we’ve been co-operating with UNC’s observatory and the Air Force can confirm the date is May 16, 2013. As we all know, this is just over 2 years before the beginning of the Third World War.” Alexander nodded. “And 7 years before the Fault, I assume?” The Marshal nodded. “Mr. President,” the General of the Army interjected, “We’ve analyzed the soil and we’ve found that the Confederation appeared in pre-fault America, in South Carolina and Georgia. Our borders have been manipulated to fit the outline of those 2 states, which means that some parts of our nation have been reshuffled.” Alexander paused to digest the new information when a telephone ringing breached the silence. “This is the President.” He greeted the caller. “Mr. President, this is Colonel Woodson at Fenrir Station. I’m about to receive a local emissary representing a ‘United States of America.’ Please advise me with my mandate.” Alexander stopped for a second before sighing. “Colonel, here’s what I want you to do. I want you to exchange pleasantries with this person and arrange for a meeting between his President and myself. Do you understand? Try to avoid having the meeting arranged in a military atmosphere.”

Situation Room, White House, Washington, DC, United States of America
May 16, 2013

Barack Obama sighed. He had been up in meetings with The NSA, Secretary of Defense and the Secretary of State. John Kerry was a good Secretary, but he wished this…thing had happened earlier, when Hillary was there. Barack was soon snapped out of his ruminations by the shrill shriek of a telephone. He answered the phone, unknowingly in the same manner as his counterpart in New Dixie. “This is the President.” “Sir, this is Captain Michael Smith.” Barack’s fog was dispelled then. “Ah, Captain Smith, how is your mission going?” The voice on the other end seemed to hesitate before replying “Well, sir. I’m going into one of their constructs right now to start negotiations.” “Good, Captain. Call us back when you have more information.” The Captain replied, “Of course, sir” and hung up. Barack looked tiredly around the room and announced, “I’m going to go into one of these side rooms and get a few minutes of shuteye. Wake me when the Captain calls back.” Barack exited the room, closed the door behind him, found a cot in a side office and fell asleep instantly.
JMT
Ready For Action

Postby tau43 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:11 pm

I like it.
tau43
Zombie Eater

Postby JMT » Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:40 pm

Clarksdale, New Avalon, Confederation of New Dixie
May 16, 2094

Jeffrey Barus switched on the broadcaster where he produced his morning show, Barus’ News every day. He attached the microphone to the old HAM radio and settled into his chair for the broadcast. “Good Morning, New Dixie and welcome to another fine edition of Barus’ News, broadcasting free and unbiased from New Kannapolis clear to the Damocan border. Today, we have some very strange news from the border, as my friend, who we all know as ‘Hephaestus’ has reported that Damocas has apparently ceased to exist. Yes, indeed we have reports coming in from all over our listening area. Perhaps there have been events beyond the Confederation’s borders, perhaps indeed something has happened to our world. Whatever the cause, whatever the occurrence. Just know that I, Barus, will continue to provide your morning news. Stay safe and stay classy out there, New Dixie.” Jeffrey was ashen when he was done, his brown eyes gaunt with fear.

CBS Broadcasting Center, Manhattan, New York, New York, United States of America
May 16, 2013

Charlie Rose strode into the studio, still dark from the night. The old newscaster, now entering his 2nd year as a full-time anchor met with the CBS This Morning producer to go over the night’s events. Rose noticed something off when he looked at the CBS Affiliate board. He saw that there was no affiliate signed on from Georgia or South Carolina. Charlie, lost in thought, didn’t hear Chris Licht walk up behind him. “There’s your headline, Charlie. 2 whole states gone overnight. FOX News and MSNBC have been squawking about the apocalypse all night.” Charlie suddenly felt every year of his 71 weighing on him. Mouth dry, he nodded to Licht and continued to the breakroom for some coffee. He saw Gayle King sitting there. Though Gayle was 13 years his junior, Charlie could see that the news had weighed her heavily as well. Charlie nodded to his co-anchor and made some coffee. When 8 o clock rolled around, both anchors made their way to the set table, bracing themselves for the day to come.

Fenrir Warning Station, Northern Frontier, Confederation of New Dixie
May 16, 2013

Colonel Woodson opened the door, seeing a grizzled man not 5 years his senior standing in the doorway. “Captain Smith, I assume?” The captain groaned slightly and rumbled, “Yes, I am. Thank you for your hospitality.” Woodson nodded, smiling inwardly at the complement. “Thank you for the complement. Now, the conference room is just through here,” Woodson stated, leading Smith through the station. The two men took their seats at opposite ends of the table, inaudibly steeling themselves for the negotiations. Smith took the initiative, “On behalf of the United States of America and President Barack Obama, I thank you for your hospitality.” Woodson nodded and responded, “On behalf of the Confederation of New Dixie and President Alexander Taylor, I welcome you to Fenrir Base.” The two men shifted and got serious. “Mr. Woodson, what are you and your country doing here?” Woodson was shocked, but rolled with it. “Mr. Smith, we don’t know. I can attest to this, that our appearance here was an act of god or something of similar powers.” Smith rocked back in his chair, head spinning.Woodson saw Smith’s discomfort and pressed on. “I would like to offer a meeting between our heads of state. President Taylor knows of and has endorsed this offer. Would your President Obama like to reciprocate?” Smith thought about the soldier’s offer. “It may be prudent for me to call my President. I have a cellular phone if I may make a call.” Woodson nodded and leaned back, fishing out a small book with a worn cover. ‘Everything’s Eventual’ was all Smith could discern of the title.

Situation Room, White House, Washington DC, United States
May 16, 2013

Barack Obama was reawakened in a flash. The phone had rung, signaling Captain Smith’s word from the field and what there was. Barack shrugged his suit jacket back on, flattened his slacks and returned to the conference room. General Dempsey handed the phone to him with a glance of wariness. “This is the President.” Barack answered. Captain Smith’s voice greeted him back. “Mr. President, I have 2 things for you. One, the entity here is a country by the name of the ‘Confederation of New Dixie.” Barack repeated the name, looking at an aide in a silent ‘write that down’ gesture. “The second thing?” Barack asked. “Sir, they want you to meet with their President, a man named Alexander Taylor.” Barack nodded to himself, mentally reviewing the states near the affected area. “Offer to hold the meeting in Charlotte, in oh, 3 days time.” Barack heard a small discussion on the other end before Captain Smith’s voice returned “Charlotte in 3 days. They’ve agreed. “Good, send my thanks to them and their President.”
JMT
Ready For Action

Postby JMT » Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:14 pm

Excerpt from BBC World News, May 17, 2013

“Big news out of America today, as contact has been lost with two whole states. The states, South Carolina and Georgia, were lost sometime around 5 AM yesterday morning. President Obama is to travel to Charlotte, a major city near the afflicted area, in preparation for an as of yet unknown event. Prime Minister Cameron has issued a statement to the effect of committing the UK to standing with our American counterparts in these times. In related news, President Vladimir Putin of Russia has announced a moratorium on flights to and from the Americas, citing Russian concerns over the event.”

Alternatehistory.com Discussion Board- Topic: Disappeared States? What?—Topic Started May 17, 2013 at 7:12 AM
The Doctor: Yeah, South Carolina and Georgia have seemingly disappeared. Link
AYoungContrarian: Wonder what happened?
Turquize Blue: I dunno, but something tells me the Tea Party will make this an issue
theHombre: Of course they will, Blue. Hell, they might make it into an invasion or something.
Prime Minister: Anyone seen the Google photos from yesterday? Link. Looks like something is there that isn’t SC and Georgia, and by the looks of it, it has a border fence.
Nietzsche: Yeah, it kinda does. We’ll probably know more tomorrow.

Facebook Conversation history- Jacob T. and Nick B.

Jacob T.: You hear about SC and GA?
Nick B.: Yeah, I also heard Obama was coming to CLT for some reason.
JT: Considering Charlotte’s the biggest city close to DC and the area, I ain’t surprised.
NB: I guess, but wouldn’t he use Lejeune or Bragg for that before he’d use CLT?
JT: Not if he wanted this event to be handelled sanely. Lord knows some of the people in the military can get jingoist.
NB: By Jingo, how didn’t I think of that?
JT: Dunno. I just dunno anything right now. Also, Fishback called, said school was cancelled because of the event being so close.
NB: Well, we ARE 2 counties away.
JT: Mhm.
NB: Yup.

Excerpt from The Rush Limbaugh Show- May 17, 2013

“America, have you heard about this debacle in the South? 2 whole states GONE and that liberal wimp Barry is sitting up there in his opulent palace, distracting himself from our plight! This event is OBVIOUSLY an attack on American sovereignty by forces unknown! I say we need to send the Army into those states and find out what the *Expletive deleted* is going on! With me here today is Representative Bachmann of Minnesota. Good morning, Mrs. Bachmann.” “Good morning, Rush and I have got to say that I agree with everything you’ve said. I think we should send everything we have into these obviously rogue states and destroy whatever’s taken American land from American values. I just hope that the true conservative Christians in the 2 states come forward and deliver their lands back to the rule of this god-blessed nation.” “And if that doesn’t happen?” “Bomb the place and return it by force. This is an act of war and will not be unpunished. I’ve already introduced a motion to deploy the military to the states.” “Thank you, Congresswoman, and may God help us all in these trying times.”
JMT
Ready For Action

Postby JMT » Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:51 pm

Charlotte-Douglas International Airport, Charlotte, North Carolina, United States of America
May 17, 2013

The blue and white jet’s main door opened to the movable stairs. Barack Obama sheltered his eyes as the glare of a spring morning in North Carolina. The military band struck up “Hail to the Chief” as he descended the stairs, already weary from the pomp and circumstance. He walked across the hot tarmac, already suffering mirages from the muggy air. “Mr. President,” a man he recognized from last year’d campaign greeted him. “Anthony Foxx, welcome to Charlotte.” Barack nodded to the Mayor, replying, “Thank you for having me, and for allowing these events to happen in your city.” Foxx looked slighted at the secrecy before nodding and leading the President into a cool building. “I don’t suppose any of us get any rest, so I need to run, sir. Enjoy your stay in Charlotte.” With that, the young mayor retreated from the room.
General Dempsey entered as Foxx left, his grey hair sparking off the lights. “Mr. President,” Dempsey started with a salute, returned by Barack, “according to our new neighbors, Taylor should be here within the hour.” Barack sighed and leaned on the metal table. “General, should we meet him here or at the building?” Dempsey replied his preference for meeting Taylor in Uptown. Barack sighed, “Ok, General. To Uptown.” The two entered a military-issue Humvee and drove off the tarmac of the airport.

Charlotte-Douglas International Airport, Charlotte, North Carolina, United States of America
30 minutes later

Alexander Taylor grinned as the vast Saint shuddered its halt, enjoying the feeling of danger. The president waited for a moment before he saw the rear doors open. A soldier walked up the ramp when the door was completely open. “Alexander Taylor?” Alexander nodded, beckoning the soldier into the plane. The soldier nodded to the president and stated, “I’ve been instructed to accompany you to Uptown Charlotte, sir. Do you have a vehicle?” Alexander grinned and nodded, walking to the middle of the plane, where a small black pickup truck sat waiting. The soldier followed the president, taking up the shotgun seat on the right. Alexander Taylor ground the keys in the ignition and drove out onto the tarmac.

Independence Building, Charlotte, North Carolina, United States of America
May 17, 2013

The two men entered the room, one clad in a business suit, dark blue jacket, white shirt and red tie. His opposite was clad in a more simple attire, a black muscle tee and blue jeans. The men sat at opposite ends of a wooden table, unnoticing of each other’s aides scurrying about the room. “Mr. Taylor,” Barack Obama started, “on behalf of the people of the United States of America, welcome to Charlotte.” Alexander Taylor groaned slightly, replying, “On behalf of the Confederation of New Dixie, I thank you for your warm hospitality.” The two shifted uncomfortably in their seats, preparing. “Mr. Taylor, let me be frank, what are you and your nation doing here?” Alexander saw the question coming and was prepared. “We don’t know, Mr. Obama. One week ago, it was the year 2094 for me, the United States was a dead nation and I was eternally worried about bioengineered monsters, soulless robots and revanchist imperialists. Now all those worries are gone, but I wonder what new worries this time will bring us.” Obama looked shocked. 2094? Was he remembered so far away? What brought down the United States?

Alexander saw the shock and pressed on. “Would you like to know the history of the world from 2013 to 2094?” Obama nodded, gaunt with fear. "Well, the Third World War started in 2015, and raged for 5 years. The Americans launched 'Seismic Bombs' into 3 fault lines in an attempt to disrupt the Chinese-Russian alliance's fighting power. The Great Fault that followed destroyed the world's geography and killed billions. From 2020 to 2038, the Second Dark Age reigned, a time of lawlessness. In 2038, however, the Drakite Empire formed and conquered the majority of the world. The Empire was not to last, however, as upon the Emperor's death, the Fourth World War broke out. Alperia, Warpus, Thorgun and Gridiron, all four of them former Drakite Provinces, attempted to rule the old Empire, while the Imperial Government attempted to regain its old power. The Alperians and Warpians won, building up Thorgun as an equal to them, the Peacekeeper Alliance. The PKA soon struck back, launching the Fifth Great War in 2069. Alperia and Warpus again won, banishing the PKA from their new alliance, which they called the Global Security Council. By 2088, Alperia has weaponized space, and the PKA-led Isenburg Pact is in a cold war with the GSC and the 3rd way LIN. In 2088, the Northern Scottish Republic went to war with their fellow GSC member, the Knights' Order. The Scot War embroiled some of the minor GSC and LIN nations, before Alperia and Paradine/the CND brought the war to a halt. It is now 2094, the Inforian superbioengineered creatures threaten the world with the Second Apocalypse, tensions between the alliances are higher than ever, and the world may well plunge into the Sixth World War. I only hope my Confederation of New Dixie can see the endgame."

Obama had grown gaunter as his counterpart told his tale, wondering why the Third World War had started, what he could do and if New Dixie’s presence here and now signaled the possibility of change. He thought back to his family, did they survive? Did he? Alexander saw these emotions run across the American’s fear-ridden face, remembering the hell he had grown up in. It was one thing to relay history, it was another entirely to live it. Obama spoke first. “What can we do?” Alexander smiled slightly, “We can tell the world the truth. I know in the pre-Fault days that there was global communication. If we call the major news networks of your nation here, we can let the world know the truth about where I come from, what my nation is doing here and what would have happened if we had not appeared.” Barack Obama nodded, reached out, and shook the hand of his counterpart, Alexander Taylor.
JMT
Ready For Action

Return to Articles