FACTPILE IS BACK!!!
CLICK HERE TO SEE FOR YOURSELF
Take a Tour of the Admin's Mancave

Pantheon Wars-by (again, me Guardianangel1911)

Share your literary skills with other Factpilers

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Re: Pantheon Wars-by Jacob Sparks (again, me Guardianangel19

Postby Commander Cross » Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:14 pm

I forgot the thread was being revitalized.

This is gonna be huge, and this is already huge as it is.
http://dragcave.net/image/n765.gif

Please help save the dragon egg.

Reminds me of factpile in general!
Commander Cross
You Can't Fade Me

Postby guardianangel1911 » Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:26 pm

Okay people, Chapter Nine is here, please keep hands and feet inside the vehicle at all times and make sure you are securely buckled in. This one's a doosey.

Chapter 9
Fear keeping me frozen in my seat I manage to glance and looks of fear on the faces of other Olympians that cannot be that much different from my own face. The armored figure of death steps forward slowly into the room. I catch a glimpse under the hood, an armored mask carved into a demonic face covers the face of whomever is under it. I try to compose myself as the being sweeps its free hand in front of it causing the doors to slam shut with enough force to shake the room.
“Olympians……” A cold voice tainted by magic changed and altered to be unrecognizable as anything god or mortal or monster speaks from under the hood. “I, Thanatos, have decided to join you here. I have not yet decided if I shall join in your petty squabble with foreign gods, but I felt my presence here could be most appropriate. If Zeus manages to prove as ineffective as he has thus far much longer that is.” Thanatos says.
I would laugh at this last part were it not taking all my power to keep myself from screaming in panic. I try to push the fear down to the deepest parts of my soul but I cannot manage. I feel Thanatos’s eyes on me though I cannot see eyes under the hood. I feel as though they are not looking at Aphrodite but at Loki. Is it possible this being can see through my disguise? Could Thanatos be so powerful as to be able to see through my sorcery, if so, perhaps Athena won’t need to come up with a plan to get around the loss of Hecate. Only a powerful magic could alter a voice so, and only powerful magic would allow one to see through my disguise.
“Thanatos…..what an……unexpected surprise…..your presence is of course welcome here. I do hope you would see fit to join us in our conflict but I understand if you…..have reservations about joining us…..please take a seat.” Zeus says a bit of nervousness entering his voice. Norns above what the Helheim does that mean if Zeus is hesitant to speak to this entity. I glance at the other gods again and as I do I have to hide a small scream as a mild cough as I realize the only open seat is on my other side.
Thanatos walks over towards me lowering the hood to reveal long shimmering white hair, hair white as bone. My full view of the hideous mask makes my stomach want to retch. The features shaped in the metal something only one steeped in death could imagine. I notice Thanatos’s head seems smaller without the hood up, or smaller than I initially thought though it could be just a trick of the eyes. I watch as this embodiment of death lays its weapon against the wall then steps over to the table and starts undoing the straps of leather, or I hope its leather, holding on the mask. The three straps one on each side and one the top of the head somewhat hidden by the bone white hair. I watch my body tensing up expecting any number of things, thousands of gruesome imagining’s of just what kind of hideous rotting face is hidden by this mask. As Thanatos takes the mask off I take an instant to blink readying myself for the visage of Death itself. I take a deep breath and then open my eyes.
The face I see is not the face of a monster, not the face of death, not the face of the cold. Thanatos true face is the pure opposite of her dark mask. Her skin is a soft pale white, eyes a vibrant pink, seeming out of place amongst her light skin and bone white hair. She has gentle soft features, and a warm inviting look upon her face. The contrast to what I expected cannot be described. This goddess so feared by the gods of Olympus, is a beautiful being, and yet, even I felt fear at her presence. I realize it’s not Thanatos herself that is feared, but her power, death. Strange to think one who seems so much an embodiment of life would be the master of death. Then again, that voice tainted by darkness, is this perhaps but an illusion to make me not fear her.
“Thanatos, you look well….how are things in the Realm of Death?” I say almost not realizing it.
“Aphrodite? You giving anyone a compliment on how they appear? Truly the Twilight of Olympus must be upon you all if Aphrodite is giving out compliments.” Thanatos says in her true voice, a soft gentle caring voice warm and full of life. So, the mask created an illusion to mask her true voice, much like the magics I use when shape shifted to sound like the one I’m impersonating. It doesn’t change my initial summation of her magical talents, it anything it gives me more reason to fear her ability to see through my disguise.
“Hardly, Aphrodite has just been through a lot, being held hostage by those barbarians, I doubt she’ll keep acting the way she has for long.” Hera says taking a drink from her goblet.
“Hmmmm, perhaps so, I see no enchantments upon her, nor signs that she is anyone but Aphrodite.” Thanatos grins slightly at me and turns her attention to Zeus. Could she really not see through me, perhaps I’ve overestimated her based on a single complex enchantment. “So, Zeus, lost Typhon in the engagement due to your arrogance, lucky your brother Hades can cover that loss isn’t it, without him being able to resurrect Typhon you’d look like a bigger inept oaf than usual.” The tone in her voice is one of unmistakable mockery. I watch Zeus closely as I take a sip of the wine, have to say I prefer mead it’s a stronger drink. Zeus eyes flash with power and I can feel a surge of power in the air, yet he hesitates to speak. This is dinner party is getting interesting, and I’m not even having to lift a finger.
“My judgment was clouded Thanatos, simply put I was a fool. I would prefer it if you did not disrespect me in my own kingdom.” Zeus says, the tone of anger starting to return to his voice. My eyes flash between the two gods, the other Olympians eating but watching as well uncertain of what to do.
“Oh Zeus, you both know respect must be given before it is earned, and over the years you’ve given me less respect than you give the women you rape.” Thanatos says, ripping the leg off the roasted bird in front of her violently, I hear Hera laugh some at that comment. I watch Thanatos as she looks at Zeus, she has a calm serene look on her face as she takes the bite watching Zeus come up with a retort.
“Thanatos if you came here only to insult me I suggest you leave this instant before I turn you into a smoldering crater in the floor, I am not in the mood for…..” There’s a flash of motion beside me as Zeus speaks, I barely register it as Thanatos moving. In less than a quarter of a second she has crossed the twenty feet between herself and Zeus and put a dagger to his throat.
“Hear me Lord Zeus do not presume to command the Master of Death. I let you live as a matter of principle. You have no power over one whose power rivals your own. I will speak however I see fit when I see fit.” Thanatos snarls coldly. My eyes widen in shock, if her power truly rivals that of Zeus it is no wonder the Olympians fear her. Ares rises from his seat drawing his sword but without even turning towards him Thanatos notices. “Don’t even think about it war god, or war will finally end in death.” Thanatos steps away from Zeus and tosses the dagger at Hermes embedding the blade next to his face on the chair. “There’s your dagger back.”
“How did you…..” Hermes pulls the dagger out of the chair glancing at Thanatos and at her seat ten feet away from him in the opposite direction of Zeus and back to Thanatos. I smirk slightly, so this is the speed of one of the most powerful beings on Olympus. Something to note, and be wary of should I need to flee from here. Thanatos just smirks as she returns to her seat the gods she passes on the way flinching as if expecting to be struck down. Upon Thanatos taking her seat Hades stands up raising his goblet and tapping a knife against it.
“Well….if that’s out of the way, I would like to propose a toast, to Aphrodite’s recovery from her ordeal, and to my younger brothers hopeful victory over our enemies in his battle against their sea god.” Hades says raising his goblet. I stand smirking at the fact I won’t have to lie with this.
“To Our Victory.” I shout raising my goblet, the other Olympians rising as well and raising their goblets. I notice Thanatos looking at me and smirking. Something in my mind feels unsettled by the look, as if she knows that I don’t mean the victory of Olympus. But she said she saw nothing out of the ordinary with me. So there’s no way, at least no way that I know of. I watch her just out of the corner of my eye as I take my seat once again.
The feast continues fairly normally, for an Olympian feast I suppose, none of the boisterous song, and bragging of an Asgardian feast, the random fights breaking out between overly drunk gods. Never thought I’d miss it but, truly a feast without the trappings of Asgardian culture truly feels empty. After a few hours of mild chatting Hades and Persephone excuse themselves for the night and leave the banquet hall. I raise an eyebrow slightly at this but am in no position to question the habits of what seems to be the only truly happily married couple I’ve seen so far on Olympus. I find myself lost in thought wondering how the battle between Poseidon’s forces and Aegir’s is going, how Asgard is holding up. If I’ll ever return to the ones I’ve come to call family, ever return to my wife.
“So Aphrodite, held by the enemy only to be released in a gesture of good faith, one that was meaningless due to Poseidon and Athena’s attack. You must have pulled some true trickery to convince them that a hot head like Zeus could be reasoned with.” Thanatos says, pulling me from the ocean of my thoughts. What was that odd emphasis she put on the word trickery, why would she use that word for that matter, perhaps I’m over thinking it. Either way I should keep my guard up.
“I….simply did what any of us would likely do in a similar situation, I did my best to convince the barbarians of our true nature, that we want this war no more than they do. I may have…..used some of my more….unconventional persuasion methods to do so but it was all in the name of returning to where I wished to be, nothing more.” I say trying to remain collected. It’s not easy however, thoughts of what she might mean by her words haunt me at the back of my mind.
“But of course, what other methods than seduction would the goddess of seduction use to convince people, you’re not a master of deception, not a shape shifter, not a creator of chaos, nothing like that. You’re simply Aphrodite, the goddess of love and lust, Ares one and only.” Thanatos says, the words she uses muddle my mind as if she’s toying with me, but I see the trick at the end of her phrase.
“Thanatos….you know Ares is just a fling, one of many, technically I’m Hepheastus’s one and only. Not that I’ve stayed true to that though. What goddess or Titan would stay true to such a wretch though, right my friend.” I throw in a light laugh at the end. She smiles seeming content that I caught her trap and answered correctly.
“Yes, how silly of me, thank you for reminding me Aphrodite, and in such a kind manner too.” Thanatos says. “If you’re done eating I would like to talk to you in private, perhaps in your room?”
“Oh, what would you want to talk to me about Thanatos?” I ask trying not to sound nervous, could she want to confront me about my identity, or is this mere coincidence.
“Oh….just some private matters, things I don’t want anyone overhearing a goddess has her secrets after all.” She grins mischievously and there’s something odd about it, I don’t know what shes thinking, or what she wants but I get the feeling I won’t like it.
“Yes, all gods and goddesses have our secrets…especially Lord Zeus I’m sure.” I say glancing at Zeus who’s talking to one of the serving girls while Hera spitefully watches.
“Oh pleeaase…” Thanatos says standing up, I stand as well looking at her curiously. “You have as much if not more power than him, and as a daughter of Uranus you are more than royalty enough not to have to call his arrogant ass Lord.” Thanatos says glaring at Zeus as she does. Then she walks out of the banquet hall, I follow and start walking beside her stunned at her attitude, so different from the other Olympians I’ve seen and met so far, except Hades but he’s a special case when it comes to how he feels about Zeus I suppose.
“You speak brashly Thanatos….Zeus is far more powerful than I….” I say somewhat nervously, the sad thing, it’s honestly pretty true, I’d die if I tried to fight someone like him or Odin. I’m nothing before their might.
“You’re stronger than you know. I’ve seen you in action before, you just need to learn to come to terms with who you are, what you are. The one who straddles the line between god and gi..Titan, the time will come soon my friend, when you’ll have to finally choose whose side you are truly on and who you wish to stand by. You cannot keep this game up forever, this war will force your hand.” She speaks as we get closer to Aphrodite’s room. Her words pierce my soul, I feel as if they apply to me as much as Aphrodite, and I suppose in a way they do.
“Thank you for the kind words my friend…..and I suppose you’re right….I have to choose the path I want to take one of these days.” I say stepping into the room Thanatos closing the door and locking it behind us. Then I realize I’ve been treating her different from how Aphrodite normally would, or any of the Olympians would, but why. What’s wrong with me if I’m not careful she’ll suspect something and I’ll be up a creek without a paddle.
“Good, he’s not watching us….” Thanatos says. “Now…let’s get to business….” She grabs me and throws me onto Aphrodite’s bed. “Loki, Trickster god of Asgard.”
“Fuck……” I manage to say. Shit, just fucking shit, she knows who I am, but how, why didn’t she say something to Zeus, why did she bring me where no one would hear her. Then she gets on the bed and puts her face close to mine our noses nearly touching.
“Let’s drop the masquerades….I took mine off already….now you take yours off.” She chuckles some after saying so. I change back to my normal form, Aphrodite’s outfit suddenly becoming a bit tight on my body, not that I’m in any position to get my normal attire.
“So….you knew the whole time then? How?” I ask, for some reason even though I should be terrified right now I’m not. There’s no malice coming from her like there was in the banquet hall.
“I’m a death god, when I look at you I don’t see Aphrodite’s death, I see Loki’s.” She says. Great she see’s my death that’s comforting. “Also we’ve been watching the whole thing.”
“Wait what?” I stare at her confused, what does she mean we’ve been watching. Whose we?
“Me and the other death gods from around the world, we’ve got bets on which of the two Pantheons will win, didn’t you wonder why Holler was not at your meeting of gods?” She says looking up at the ceiling.
“I….well….now that….wait you….the Death gods are betting on which Pantheon will win? Wait….why are you getting involved then…” I ask confused my mind racing trying to understand this. The Death gods around the world are betting on this, watching the whole thing like some kind of blood sport, damn so this is what mortals feel like.
“Yep, as for why I’m getting involved, I didn’t bet plus I wanted to throw a monkey wrench into this shit. Shake things up even more than their already getting, basically I was bored as hell not doing anything. Besides I like you, you seem like a cool guy, actually nice to me. All the Olympians have ever done is treat me like anathema, I’m an outsider here. Like you seem to think you are with the Asgardians.”
“Wait your getting involved with this because you’re….bored?” I look at her dumbfounded and even more confused now.
“Yeah, and the whole the Olympians treat me like trash thing…” She twirls her hair some around her finger.
“So…is there anything stopping you from telling the Olympians about my little deception?” I ask looking at her trying to puzzle out her reasoning.
“Oh, nothing’s stopping me. I just wanted to give you a chance to give me a reason not to.” She says looking at me grinning. Blackmail, classy real classy, well might as well see what she’s after.
“So what do you want, gold, power, magic….whatever it is I can get it for you.” I say nervously expecting the worst from her request.
“Oh, nothing so petty Loki my friend, I simply….want….you.” She says sliding a finger along my neck.
“Woah…hold the phone Thanatos….” I say pushing her finger away. “I’m spoken for, I’m not like Zeus, I don’t care if you drag me to him in chains you are not getting….”
“What wife?” She says bluntly looking me dead in the eyes. I get a chill, is she threatening Sigyn? Is she going to do something to my darling wife if I don’t do this?
“What is that supposed to mean Thanatos…Sigyn my wife the woman I married….I swear if you’re threatening her…..” I snarl
“Oh but you misunderstand me. I’m not threatening you….but perhaps….I should just show you myself. Though this will hurt.” She says waving her hand making a shadowy circle appear in the air filling with an image, an image of the battle between the forces of Poseidon and Aegir. I can see Odin there too, as well as Sigyn and my mother, Laufey. They are fighting against the Atlantean hoards alongside the others. But does this mean what I think it does. Is Sigyn going to die?
I watch the battlefield as our end of the wall gets a break from the Atlantean assault. Poseidon’s initial assault caught Aegir off guard but the battle has quickly turned to a stalemate. The Merpeople on both sides clash violently in the sea, and the warriors who can walk on land clash at the beachhead set up by the Atlantean ground troops. The white sand is stained with the blood of thousands and the sea itself is red for miles.
I look out to the sea where two enormous tidal waves swirl around each other clashing at the crests. Poseidon and Aegir, the gods of the sea, it seems they are more even than anticipated. However even though Poseidon is not focused on the battle, his son Triton and Athena are coordinating the assault. Between them our armies are struggling to avoid losing more ground. I look along the wall, Laufey and Sigyn stand at different points commanding the troops at those points. At the moment it seems Sigyn’s section of the wall is receiving the brunt of the assault, I would go to aid her but at any moment the Atlantean troops could begin assaulting here again. No sooner do I think this then a spear plows through the rampart to my left shattering it. The voice of a young commander roars over the clashing of blades sounding an assault. I ready Gungnir and signal my troops.
“Attack, let no Atlantean breath Asgardian air, slay them to the last man!” I roar. The soldiers ready their blades and as the first ladders hit the ramparts they are already prepared, throwing the ladders they can back. A dozen of the Honored Fallen leap off the wall, a small group of warriors that have formed a brotherhood during the two battles of this war, they’ve proven effective together, bold, reckless but they get the job done in battle.
A ladder hits the rampart in front of me and I step forward and throw Gungnir at the climbing forces. The spear flies true as always and impales five warriors slamming them into the ground. Then I quickly cast the runes of fire and force destroying the ladder, and killing a dozen Atlantean warriors with the fire and another five with the shockwave of force. The Honored Fallen on the Ground push some of the troops back from the ladders and begin to destroy the ladders the troops on the wall don’t. I glance over the rest of my troops the Atlanteans being pushed back, then a two pronged trident flies into one of the warriors to my right and an armored figure, Triton, leaps up onto the wall pulling his weapon from the corpse and turning towards me. He’s a tall warrior, with dark hair like his father likely had in the past, and the same fierce eyes. He bares his teeth, pointed like a sharks, his skin is deeply tanned making the pale white daggers all the more noticeable.
“So….the old man who took down three gods on his own, the so called Lord of Asgard….” He says in a deep strange voice, almost predatory. “….I wonder, what praises will be sung of me were I to end this war, with a single stroke.”
“You’re a bold one aren’t you…..well, if you think you can end this war boy, come and try.” I summon Gungnir back to my hand and motion for him to go ahead and attack me. He charges forth roaring and thrusts his trident towards my neck. I quickly raise Gungnir and block by positioning it between the prongs of his trident, I don’t stop moving though, sidestepping and using our combined momentum to throw him forward onto the floor. I spin my spear in my hand and ready myself before moving forward thrusting the blade straight for his heart. Triton blocks with a shield of water an gets back on his feet slamming his trident on the stone blocks of the wall causing them to crack and the wall to shake. I steady the wall and myself and raise Gungnir in time to sweep away another strike from his weapon.
Our weapons line up and our eyes lock. He grits his teeth, snarling trying to overpower me, we push against each other. Our weapons lock breaks and we step back both spinning our weapons and pivoting to strike again our weapons clash but this time I push forward, forcing the blade straight towards his face. He leans back to dodge the blade and sweeps my leg out from under me. I let my momentum carry me and summersault a few feet away to give me space to turn back to him. As I do he thrusts his trident towards me and a wall of spiked water surges towards me leaving slices in the ramparts as it goes.
An instant before the wall of water hits me I raise my hand parting the wall of water causing it fly out harmlessly to the left and right. Triton looks surprised then throws his trident. The weapon crosses the thirty feet between us in half a second. I turn to the side and catch the weapon as it flies by, spinning with its momentum and launching it back with even more force. He dodges the weapon as it sinks deep into the stone floor. I take advantage and move forward to attack him. He reaches for his trident struggling to pull it from the thick stones, he glances towards me as I get close thrusting Gungnir, he moves to the side but not fast enough, the blade grazing his cheek drawing first blood.
Then suddenly I’m not on the battlefield, but a room, shadows are covering most of it but I can tell its Olympus, I then see Loki standing there no longer disguised as Aphrodite. Then before I can puzzle out what I’m seeing I feel a fist colliding with my face and fall back onto the wall. I shake my head and see Triton diving for me, having taken advantage of my vision to attack me. I roll out of the way rising but he never gets where he was leaping another figure tackles Triton to the floor knocking his trident loose as they hit it. I realize, it’s Sigyn, she must have realized what happened and come to aid me. I take a chance and glance at the wall, our forces are holding, but we need to take care of Triton soon.
“Get away from me woman…” Triton says slamming his elbow into Sigyn’s face throwing her into one of the ramparts. Suddenly arrow flies past me and pierces Tritons shoulder. I look back to see Laufey notching another arrow into her bow.
“Get away from my daughter in law you fish mouthed bastard.” The small giantess says. Unleashing the arrow this one hit’s Triton in the chest going through his left lung. The young ocean god glares at her ripping the arrow from his chest, the wound healing in a matter of seconds, then repeating the process with the arrow in his shoulder.
“Some warrior king….can’t win a fight without help from his lackies.” Triton says glaring at me lifting up his trident again. “Too bad, but you’d never have won if this is the best you can do anyway, I’m just going to end this before you fools suffer more.”
“You shouldn’t leave a goddess with Hinds Blood in a pouch alive you arrogant prick.” Triton and I both look to see Sigyn holding one of the arrows Triton tossed on the ground now with some of the distinct blood of the Golden Hinds on the arrowhead. Everything seems to slow down, Sigyn leaps towards Triton screaming, he thrusts his trident forward. There’s the sound of a body being impaled as the Trident plunges into Sigyn’s stomach, she slides down the Trident, coughing up her own blood. Triton grins, then his look changes as she raises the arrow in her hand over her head. “See you in my step daughter’s home you bastard……” Then she plunges the arrow through his eye and straight into his brain. Both gods die in that instant their bodies falling to the ground.
I see Sigyn’s soul and essence rise from her body ready to go to Vallhalla, then, a blast of ocean blue lightning hits her soul, destroying it. The world seems to stop, I turn my head to see Poseidon angry turning his trident on Laufey and destroying her body and soul in one blow. Aegir tackles him but it’s too late, Loki’s mother and wife destroyed in a single second. Another vision fills my sight, Loki on his knee’s before one of the Olympians. He’s betrayed us, and it’s all my fault, I put them in danger. Now the only people he’s ever loved are dead.
"Fuck subtle."

guardianangel1911
Voice of the People

Postby Commander Cross » Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:01 pm

Perfect for summing up all that's happened in a nutshell.
Commander Cross
You Can't Fade Me

Postby guardianangel1911 » Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:03 pm

damn left Cross speechless. Do I get a Factpile award for that one?
"Fuck subtle."

guardianangel1911
Voice of the People

Postby Commander Cross » Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:06 pm

Granting kudos where due, you deserve one for always having the capabilities for it,
and just went as far as to bust them to the table in front of me like that.

Or would another Demotivator get the point across?

Commander Cross
You Can't Fade Me

Postby guardianangel1911 » Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:47 pm

well actually I'm wondering what you thought on the events of the chapter in total.
"Fuck subtle."

guardianangel1911
Voice of the People

Postby Commander Cross » Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:26 pm

guardianangel1911 wrote:well actually I'm wondering what you thought on the events of the chapter in total.

I'll fetch a demotivator for each of the 3 major aspects of revelations discussed in this chapter alone before I try to tackle an in-depth review, okay?

Commander Cross
You Can't Fade Me

Postby guardianangel1911 » Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:02 pm

Cross not demotivators, your opinion.
"Fuck subtle."

guardianangel1911
Voice of the People

Postby Commander Cross » Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:19 pm

The idea of people gambling over two factions at war like that is enough to make my back-hairs spike up.
The idea of The Primordial for Death knowing more than originally shown is creepier.

What happened at the end of the chapter?

It warranted a demotivator like the one I brought in earlier when I started reading its ending.

Can I try to tackle the last part of that chapter to review the stuff between when fighting first shows up to the cliffhanger that occurred?

Commander Cross
You Can't Fade Me

Postby guardianangel1911 » Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:13 pm

eh, knock yourself out.
"Fuck subtle."

guardianangel1911
Voice of the People

PreviousNext