CLICK HERE TO SEE FOR YOURSELF
Take a Tour of the Admin's Mancave

Lost

Share your literary skills with other Factpilers

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Lost

Postby Ruliya » Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:16 pm

Chapter 1

I awoke slowly, my eyelids peeled back and I saw a flash of blue, perfect blue, and something off to the side threatened to blind me. And then I felt it, a warmth that caused the capillaries in my cheek to flush and I instantly knew what it was. The sun, it shone down upon me and in that moment I heard a faint noise, the lapping of waves upon a shore, it was melodic and steady as only the crashing of waves can be upon a shore and then being pulled backwards across the sandy beaches. Waking up more and more with every passing second I suddenly felt a hard surface beneath me, it was, I suddenly realised, cold to the touch, and a lot of me seemed to be touching it. It was at this precise moment that a shudder ran down my back as it became obvious that I was naked, and my cheeks flushed even more as a feeling of embarrassment that was so primal washed over me, but I still continued to lie there bathed in the gentle warmth of the sun, it felt so glorious and divine and I felt so safe in its glow.

Shaking my head trying to un-occupy my mind with the warmth I felt being in the heat I noticed an amorphous blob crawling into my peripheral vision, so I tilted my head backwards towards the sky even more and saw that it was a lone white cloud, a stark contrast to the sea of blue sky. I also noticed perhaps for the first time a lacquered brown object. The realisation of what this was caused me to sit up half turning my body so that I could look down at it more clearly.

And so I sat staring at this brown object upon which I found myself, knowing what it was, that it was a boat. A boat? What was I doing on a boat? This and other questions flew through my mind, things like, where am I? What shore am I off of? And why the hell am I naked?!

I found that I had no answers for any of these questions. In fact I knew nothing at all it seemed, and yet something was biting at the inside of my head, one word...

A name – Rachel. This I surmised, had to be my name, did it not? I mean, if all I knew was one name, common sense meant that it had to be mine, right? I took it as such anyway.

At this realisation that all I knew was my own name another shudder ran down my back, making me feel so cold for an instant regardless of the suns eager rays and its intense heat. And so this was it, here I was lost, alone, and adrift off the coast of who knows where, with no clothes, no memory, no real knowledge, and most importantly: no real idea as to how exactly I had come to inhabit this peculiar set of circumstances.

Snapping back to my senses I looked frantically about and found a single oar in the boat, which judging by the size of the boat, demanded at least two oars to row it. So where exactly is the other one? I looked tentatively over the side of the boat, perhaps it had fallen in. As I looked into the crystal clear blue of the ocean I snapped my head back as I caught sight of my own reflection. I peered back over the edge and looked down closely. As my head got closer to the water I felt my breasts squish against the side of the boat, and my cheeks flushed again and I felt silly for it, but the side of the boat was fairly warm, unlike the cold I felt originally; the sun obviously having warmed the boat while I was...

Asleep? Unconscious? Who knew?

As I stared into my own reflection wisps of dark brown hair fell down my face, and indeed it seemed that my reflection showed long brown hair traipsing down from my head, and blue? Was it blue eyes? Or just from the water? I couldn’t tell. My nose wasn’t too big, or too small, in fact it was, cute. My lips were rather full and my complexion was healthy at least.

Starting to feel a little self-conscious I looked quickly over to the shoreline. It was gratifyingly empty, not even a wild animal seemed to be stalking the beautiful white sandy beach, which when I looked to the left and right, seemed to go on for miles in either direction. Letting go a sigh of relief that no one would be around to see me in all my glory I reached over and picked up the single oar that was left to me. It was quite a bit heavier than I had anticipated and I fell forward slightly rocking the boat gently, I held a hand out and held the edge of the boat to steady it and bracing myself picked up the oar again, this time with just enough strength to haul the paddle over the side and into the water, a loud splash broke the relative silence as it hit the water’s surface. The wood of the oar felt coarse and hard in my hands.

I moved myself so I was half hanging over the side of the boat, hands holding the oar close to the paddle, with only one oar for a boat meant for two, directing the boat to the shore would be difficult. But I slowly and surely dunked the oar into the water, and pulled it roughly through and out again into the air, this resulted in the boat lurching forwards slightly, and getting a little faster with each subsequent stroke.

The trip to shore, which was only perhaps a mile at best, took a lot longer than I had thought it would, but with only one oar and a large boat, why had I expected anything less? The boat was half on the beach, but still in the water, the tide annoyingly dragging it slowly back out to sea as it receded. I dropped the oar back into the boat, my arms felt weak, the muscles in them aching greatly, they just about held as I placed them on the side of the boat and jumped out, making a loud splash as I landed in the shallow waters, which were both surprisingly cool and quite warm at the same time.

As I made it onto the beach I noticed a big difference in temperatures, the sand was extremely hot and burned at my feet. I yelped slightly in pain, my brow furrowing and eyes closing. I danced for a few seconds from foot to foot before opening my eyes, seeing the grass maybe ten metres from the spot I was in and darted towards it. The grass felt much different from the burning sands, the soil was soft and the blades of grass tickled at the balls of my feet.

I looked back at the boat and stared for a moment, it had been the only thing I had known, no wait, there was something else. I looked up into the sky and held a hand up to shield my eyes from the sun, and found to the left that one lone little cloud. I found myself smiling, here I was a lonely girl with a lonely boat, that had only one lonely oar, and we were looked down upon by a single lonely cloud. How Bizarre this all felt.

I should be scared, I mean, I know I should be, every fibre of my being suggested I should be. Lost, alone, naked, and yet I felt somewhat tranquil, happy and very much not scared at all.

I felt myself sighing after standing alone for a few minutes and then said aloud, “Goodbye Mister Boat! Goodbye Mister Cloud!” and found my voice was high pitched, but not squeaky, but also soft. I held a hand to my throat. It felt a little dry as I had spoken. I clearly needed something to drink, and then I realised once more that I was naked, and that I really needed a lot of things at that moment.

I turned solemnly around and walked off across the grass, which as I looked, really looked seemed to go on for quite a distance. On the horizon I noticed mountains, but a lot of flat grassland came before that, so I had good hopes that I would run into someone who would, I had hoped, be able to help me.

As I set off walking the sun shone brilliantly down upon me, warming my back, warming my arms and legs as a gentle breeze from, the east? I think it was the east, though at the moment I can’t be too sure of my bearings, but I had this instinct maybe, that it was from the east. A gentle breeze cooled me down as I walked, anyway.

I walked for what must have been hours for the sun had crossed the sky and was starting its descent into the western horizon, for it had started in the direction I was sure was east, and found that there was something else I knew. That the sun moved, on a daily basis from east to west.

Someway a while back, when I wasn’t really paying attention to anything in particular, the grass had grown quite large, and I assumed I had stumbled upon some farmland for I was clearly walking amongst crops, not fully grown crops of course because my head and shoulders peered out above the tops. I wasn’t sure what type of crops of course, but for some reason my mind thought Wheat. It seems that I’m remembering small things all the time, and this could only be a good thing.

After quite a while more I found the edge of the crops, I knew this because I fell forwards. I fell because what marked the edge of the crops was a drop, not too big but big enough for me not to get my footing right and stumbled forwards, face first into the dirt. At the same time as I fell I heard three distinct noises. One was the gasp of a young man, the second was the louder gasp of an older, fatter man and the third was that of a frightened horse neighing and rearing up from something unknown. I turned my head slowly to see them, and I screamed myself realising here I was on my face in front of two people I didn’t know and I was naked!

Then I heard the young man ask in a surprised tone, “Where did you come from?”

The older, fatter ones mouth just dropped open and he stared at me, in such a way I began to feel a little uncomfortable.

The horse was pulling some sort of a wagon behind it, at least I think it was a wagon. It was a large wooden object with two large wheels, but there seemed to be metal bars around the top of it, and inside the bars were maybe six or seven people, all women from the looks of them. They all had clothing on at least however. None of them seemed to be interested in me, unlike the two men who kept staring at me.

The older, fatter one started to walk up to me, my cheeks flushed and I took a step backwards.

“She’s gorgeous,” the younger said ogling my naked body, “and would you look at the size of her tits?”

“Aye, she’s only got fat in her tits, and a little on ‘er hips but nowhere else, she's like a goddess from the tales. She ain’t got a hair out of place neither,” the fatter one commented looking me over, from head to toe, “aside her brown locks,” he walked slowly behind me, “down to her arse!”

I wanted to say something, to tell them to stop, or run away, but I couldn’t. My body just refused to move, I was at their mercy it would seem.

“You know how much we could get for a beauty like ‘er?” the fatter one went on, “more than the rest of that scrawny lot put together.”

“Where do you think she’s from?” the younger one asked, “Run away do you reckon?”

“mebbe, mebbe” the fatter one said, “must ‘ave been in an hurry, seein’ as she’s naked an all.”

“Quiet too,” the younger man said, “You think she can understand us?”

“I dunno,” the fatter man had walked back round to her front and looked into her eyes, “Oi lass, you understand us?” he waved his arm gesturing himself and his partner.

I still couldn’t speak, it was like I was trapped in my own body.

“It doesn’t matter,” the fatter one said, “Get her in the cage and we’ll be on to Rome within a day or so.”

The younger one strode up to me and grabbed me by my left arm and dragged me forwards slightly, he also grabbed my bottom and squeezed tightly, cause me to scream in shock, his hand was cold, but the feeling hadn’t been entirely terrible.

“Oi,” the fatter one shouted grabbing the reigns of the horse, “Don’t injure ‘er, or we won’t be able to sell ‘er for a juicy price, find of the decade she is.”

Unable to do anything I just followed him as he dragged me round to the back of the cage and opened it up, the other girls, who had been lying next to the cage door moved back almost instinctively and the younger man squeezed my bum again, pushing me up into the cage, though this time I didn’t scream, I just silently climbed up. I looked around, the rest of the girls just looked frightened, but indifferent, as if they knew what to expect, knew what was coming for them, what was coming for all of us.

But my memory still hadn’t come back, I didn’t have a clue what was waiting for me, I had no idea what had just happened, why my body had froze and I’d been unable to say anything to them, and now here I was, locked up with six other girls on my way to some place called Rome, wherever, or whatever, that was.
http://protogonus.deviantart.com/ - My Art, such as it is.

Ruliya
Utopia Overlord

Re: Lost

Postby GluttonousBehemoth » Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:38 pm

An interesting start mesays.

I can see you're trying to maintain some mystery, but it almost feels a little offputting exactly how much nothing we know about this girl, the place, or the people.

My assumption is that these are slavers we are dealing with, but their accents baffle me. English in the barest of ways we know it, didn't adapt until after the fall of the romans, so the sort of cockney they talk seems off. Then you get to Rachel; if my knowings are not rotten, Rachel is a name with roots in the middlish east, specifically in the Levant. So if this were also back in the Roman era, she'd probably be of Hebrew or Canaanite heritage, though her skin is kinda light.

Geh, I'm probably over-anazlyzing here. Could just be time travel or something that would explain it.

But, it flows quite decently and you blessedly spared us what could have been a terribly long description of the girl-that shows a most wonderful kind of restraint-and got to the point of it.

My curiousity is with this one.
GluttonousBehemoth
Misery Machine

Postby Ruliya » Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:14 am

They're supposed to sound sleazy >.<

And Rachel, so far as I know stems from the Hebrew for Ewe. Also, some woman bearing the name who was a favorite of Jacob and apparently a prophet. So although she isn't Jewish, she'll probably be viewed as Jewish. According to my research most slaves (mainly of Greek origin) were given more Roman names anyway.

I'm trying to get it to be historically accurate, but I'll get to that later, depends how far I can take it. Recent events gave me this idea, and thought I'd write and see what came of it.

Maybe you are over analysing it ;P

Ruliya
Utopia Overlord

Postby Ruliya » Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:44 pm

An error corrupted the file and I lost the latest chapter and a half. I also lost 15k of a rewrite of another story... Going back to writing on paper. This probably means I won't be updating my writing anytime soon.

Ruliya
Utopia Overlord

Postby Hitman H94 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:00 pm

Ruliya wrote:An error corrupted the file and I lost the latest chapter and a half. I also lost 15k of a rewrite of another story... Going back to writing on paper. This probably means I won't be updating my writing anytime soon.

Ouch that is painful...

Hitman H94
Ascended Slumdog

Postby Mister Teal » Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:06 pm

That's why you should never put effort into anything
Mister Teal
Psychotron

Postby guardianangel1911 » Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:47 am

Very interesting story, well written, good flow, and so very many possibilities in where the story could end up going. Sucks about the latest chapter though, that's why I always try and keep a couple of backup files, still can't wait for more.
"Fuck subtle."

guardianangel1911
Voice of the People

Postby GluttonousBehemoth » Sat Dec 22, 2012 3:50 pm

Will we be seeing an update to this anytime soon mamzell? Your insinuation of the possibility of featuring Roman! Imperial settings intrigues me to say the least, if not only for the possibility of a certain sub-division of Magic Knights making an appearance? Stab me in the heart with a Gladius if I've managed to drop the proverbial Aquila though, Mercifully!

However :twisted: I also gotta ponder if perhaps this rather voluptuously described (perhaps we might have a little of Zeus' aunt aphrodite in this one? ;) ) Lady might have herself a love interest in her future (maybe an equally pleasing vixen as herself to go along with it :twisted:)? I think that sounds like the makings of a very engaging piece of literature, if you know what I mean 8-)

I can't help but feel like I will bring dishonor to my Cohort (possibly getting my Legion's honor tarnished) if I ask, (but my Blood-Knight's helm might just end up decimating me like a certain renegade Black Templar) if i don't so let me just come out and bring my own insinuations to light; IBs on my part give me a little hope but that might just be the hopeless romantic in me clashing with the infernal pessimism that I constantly have to fight with to keep from sliding into total depression, you know what I mean, so perhaps it would be better if I just whisper like a specific Greek King of the Wind would be like to do, and that might just make it easier for everyone involved to deal with :shock: , amirite?

Anybody else got contributions to add to my contributions perhaps?
GluttonousBehemoth
Misery Machine

Return to Articles