FACTPILE IS BACK!!!
CLICK HERE TO SEE FOR YOURSELF
Take a Tour of the Admin's Mancave

Gamer Gate

Like the name implies, this is the place to talk about whatever’s on your noodle.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Re: Gamer Gate

Postby TheSorrow » Thu Oct 30, 2014 3:32 pm

And I am not interested addressing the legitimacy of the threats because that's all they are, threats. Of all the thousands of threats she has ever gotten, how many do you know of that were actually acted upon? Why does continuously feel the need to shine a spot light on trolls? We all know that trolls want an overreaction, and that's exactly what Anita does, without fail. However, she is using that against them by taking the status of victim as a way to elevate her legitimacy. She is counting on people's emotional side to get support, rather than anything logical. I'm sick of having to justify not being a misogynist, or rape supporter, because it should be abundantly clear that the vast majority aren't. You tell me all about what she's had to deal with, and all you will get from me is "So what?" I've seen much worse happen to far more noble activists, and I can tell you from first sight that Anita is nothing like it. She's a con artist.
"You can either fight at my side, or get crushed under my heel. But you will NOT stand in my way."

Image
User avatar
TheSorrow
Relentless Rebuke
 
Posts: 4114
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:51 pm
Location: Groznyj Grad

Re: Gamer Gate

Postby Ruliya » Thu Oct 30, 2014 3:58 pm

Two things here: 1: People are shitty. We know this, people are fucking morons. As you say this happens a lot. Trolls, as you say. But when you talk about feminism now, what do you get? What vitriol is thrown at me when I say I'm a feminist? Because of the idiot 'feminazi' side. Do I deserve to be harassed and have death/rape threats sent my way? Hell no!

You say you have to defend yourself form being called misogynistic or a rape apologist or whatever. It fucking sucks, right?

2: Let her cry foul at all these 'false' threats. It's the boy who cried wolf syndrome.

How is she a con artist though? Does she not get harassed or sent death/rape threats? Does she make all those twitter accounts up and shit then?
http://protogonus.deviantart.com/ - My Art, such as it is.

Image
User avatar
Ruliya
Utopia Overlord
 
Posts: 13062
Joined: Fri Dec 02, 2011 11:48 pm
Location: Ancient Tibetan Monastery Retreat.

Re: Gamer Gate

Postby TheSorrow » Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:14 pm

Ruliya wrote:Two things here: 1: People are shitty. We know this, people are fucking morons. As you say this happens a lot. Trolls, as you say. But when you talk about feminism now, what do you get? What vitriol is thrown at me when I say I'm a feminist? Because of the idiot 'feminazi' side. Do I deserve to be harassed and have death/rape threats sent my way? Hell no!


Difference is, you don't use the threats as a way to define where you stand. Anita very much does.

Ruliya wrote:How is she a con artist though? Does she not get harassed or sent death/rape threats? Does she make all those twitter accounts up and shit then?


I wouldn't put it past her to try, but her biggest scam so far is the Tropes vs Women videos she's been making for the past two years or so. $160,000 given to her, and how many videos has she made? 6 in total, and one has to wonder how much of that money was actually spent, not to mention that most of the games she was critiquing in her videos are not her own footage. So it's questionable if she is even spending the money to buy the games she is supposed to be analyzing. There are videos of her attending a teleseminar course, which while it may seem circumstantial, does not bode well for her motives. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yIpw3wH ... rGM0diZOLA
"You can either fight at my side, or get crushed under my heel. But you will NOT stand in my way."

Image
User avatar
TheSorrow
Relentless Rebuke
 
Posts: 4114
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:51 pm
Location: Groznyj Grad

Re: Gamer Gate

Postby Ruliya » Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:25 pm

TheSorrow wrote:
I wouldn't put it past her to try, but her biggest scam so far is the Tropes vs Women videos she's been making for the past two years or so. $160,000 given to her, and how many videos has she made? 6 in total, and one has to wonder how much of that money was actually spent, not to mention that most of the games she was critiquing in her videos are not her own footage. So it's questionable if she is even spending the money to buy the games she is supposed to be analyzing. There are videos of her attending a teleseminar course, which while it may seem circumstantial, does not bode well for her motives. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yIpw3wH ... rGM0diZOLA


Okay, here's the thing. She asked for $6k. That's it. Troll boys and fucking idiots went on a crusade to try and destroy her just coz she wanted to look at sexism in the gaming industry, I mean tell me, is that bad in and of itself? Fuck no. But, because she got lambasted so hard across the internet people who wanted to support her and people who just wanted to be like 'fuck you no lifer trolls' they gave her money. It was idiots attacking her which made sure she was super successful with the kickstarter, so don't bloody tell me she conned those people out of that money.

Shes made 6 videos, and from some of the stuff I've seen she's apparently used another youtubers footage and pasted it onto her shows. Stuff the youtuber has said can be used publicly... if credited, she didn't credit. She also doesn't put comments on her youtube vids, obviously she doesn't want a discussion, coz you know, she cherry picks shit.

The thing here is, I'm not saying what Anita does is right, or that she's a good person. I just thing all the threats and bullshit she's accrued is disproportional. She doesn't deserve all that hate.
http://protogonus.deviantart.com/ - My Art, such as it is.

Image
User avatar
Ruliya
Utopia Overlord
 
Posts: 13062
Joined: Fri Dec 02, 2011 11:48 pm
Location: Ancient Tibetan Monastery Retreat.

Re: Gamer Gate

Postby TheSorrow » Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:33 pm

Ruliya wrote:Okay, here's the thing. She asked for $6k. That's it.


Then tell me what she is going to do with the rest of the money? She doesn't say anything about it. Nothing given to charity, no noticeable increase in the quality or depth in her videos. Absolutely nothing tells me she intends on using that money for good purposes.

I just thing all the threats and bullshit she's accrued is disproportional.


Why do insist bringing it up still? I don't care at all what threats she gets, all I care about is how it's lead to things like Gamer Gate. We live in a society when we care more about a person feelings than what actions they take, and that worries me. I'm sorry, but an argument stands on it's merits, not who can cry the hardest over a particular subject.
"You can either fight at my side, or get crushed under my heel. But you will NOT stand in my way."

Image
User avatar
TheSorrow
Relentless Rebuke
 
Posts: 4114
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:51 pm
Location: Groznyj Grad

Re: Gamer Gate

Postby Ruliya » Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:40 pm

TheSorrow wrote:
Then tell me what she is going to do with the rest of the money? She doesn't say anything about it. Nothing given to charity, no noticeable increase in the quality or depth in her videos. Absolutely nothing tells me she intends on using that money for good purposes.


For bigger, better research abilities. More games bought and looked into. More videos in the series, and extra stuff. This all comes from a video she released at the end of the kickstarter. As to how she's actually using it, I don't know. A lot of people claim she's barely touching it, but it's circumstantial at best.

TheSorrow wrote:Why do insist bringing it up still? I don't care at all what threats she gets, all I care about is how it's lead to things like Gamer Gate. We live in a society when we care more about a person feelings than what actions they take, and that worries me. I'm sorry, but an argument stands on it's merits, not who can cry the hardest over a particular subject.


Why do I bring it up? Because that is literally what Gamergate is. Zoe Quinn is shown to be a hypocritical bitch, hate flows, she cries out, media latches on... to the hate. It's all about the threats and hatred, and there's a lot of it out there. There's a thinly veiled thing about gamer journalism integrity, which we all know is bullshit because journalism integrity? That's never been a thing. And as I said earlier, it's extremist sides shouting and flinging crap at each other while the rest of us aren't that bothered.
http://protogonus.deviantart.com/ - My Art, such as it is.

Image
User avatar
Ruliya
Utopia Overlord
 
Posts: 13062
Joined: Fri Dec 02, 2011 11:48 pm
Location: Ancient Tibetan Monastery Retreat.

Re: Gamer Gate

Postby TheSorrow » Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:52 pm

Ruliya wrote:For bigger, better research abilities. More games bought and looked into. More videos in the series, and extra stuff. This all comes from a video she released at the end of the kickstarter. As to how she's actually using it, I don't know. A lot of people claim she's barely touching it, but it's circumstantial at best.


She's been sitting on that pile for well over a year now, and there no evidence to say she will do anything.

Ruliya wrote:Why do I bring it up? Because that is literally what Gamergate is.


Then I question how much you actually know, because now you are just making blanket statements.

Ruliya wrote:There's a thinly veiled thing about gamer journalism integrity, which we all know is bullshit because journalism integrity? That's never been a thing. And as I said earlier, it's extremist sides shouting and flinging crap at each other while the rest of us aren't that bothered.


We always knew they were corrupt, but now we have the proof to turn this around on them. We can't just give up because some idiots thought violent comments would make difference, because once we do, everyone will just associate any movement to stop websites that level insults on an entire demographic with Gamer Gate. Exactly who do you go for information? What videos have you watched? What forums do you go to? Do you even try? It's exactly why assholes like Zoe Quinn have their way, because no one wants to be bothered to deal with it.
"You can either fight at my side, or get crushed under my heel. But you will NOT stand in my way."

Image
User avatar
TheSorrow
Relentless Rebuke
 
Posts: 4114
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:51 pm
Location: Groznyj Grad

Re: Gamer Gate

Postby Ruliya » Thu Oct 30, 2014 5:06 pm

TheSorrow wrote:She's been sitting on that pile for well over a year now, and there no evidence to say she will do anything.


I never made a claim of what she was doing with the money, just stating what she said she was doing with the money.

TheSorrow wrote:Then I question how much you actually know, because now you are just making blanket statements.


As I mentioned on the first page, I haven't really kept up with it, because it's mainly stupidity. If it so pleases you, then by all means, enlighten me. Your OP, instead of a well thought out introduction to the whole thing, was simply "this is a thing, discuss".


TheSorrow wrote:We always knew they were corrupt, but now we have the proof to turn this around on them. We can't just give up because some idiots thought violent comments would make difference, because once we do, everyone will just associate any movement to stop websites that level insults on an entire demographic with Gamer Gate. Exactly who do you go for information? What videos have you watched? What forums do you go to? Do you even try? It's exactly why assholes like Zoe Quinn have their way, because no one wants to be bothered to deal with it.


What, one girl sleeping with 5 guys for two, slightly more than neutral reviews is proof of corruption? It's small fry proof at best, we all know there's been bigger proof but no one's cared this much. Why have they? Because Feminism, Misogyny and Gamer Hating. Apparent buzz words in today's society. It's annoying I suppose but there it is. Again though, what I've seen and heard is from the beginning of the whole debacle. Things on youtube, and big posts on imgur linking many sources and forums about it. In fact, til you made this thread, I didn't think it was really going on as such a big deal. But for like the fourth time, it's not really interested me too much.

Don't get me started on "no one being bothered to deal with it" ... when so much crap against women is just shoved under the rug... however, that's a whole other argument and discussion and I'll leave it there.
http://protogonus.deviantart.com/ - My Art, such as it is.

Image
User avatar
Ruliya
Utopia Overlord
 
Posts: 13062
Joined: Fri Dec 02, 2011 11:48 pm
Location: Ancient Tibetan Monastery Retreat.

Re: Gamer Gate

Postby TheSorrow » Thu Oct 30, 2014 5:17 pm

Ruliya wrote:As I mentioned on the first page, I haven't really kept up with it, because it's mainly stupidity. If it so pleases you, then by all means, enlighten me. Your OP, instead of a well thought out introduction to the whole thing, was simply "this is a thing, discuss".


I have been, but you seem to be keen on going back to "Well threats are wrong".


TheSorrow wrote:What, one girl sleeping with 5 guys for two, slightly more than neutral reviews is proof of corruption? It's small fry proof at best, we all know there's been bigger proof but no one's cared this much.


Not even that, that's just what started it, but it was obvious how that something was up based on the reaction of good portion game journalist websites. 10 articles in a single day http://i.imgur.com/wo6oQhv.jpg, all saying basically the same thing "Gamers are dead". "You don't have to associate with being a gamer". "A guide on how to end the term Gamer". http://www.breitbart.com/Breitbart-Lond ... lism-elite We have so much more proof then you are aware of, Zoe Quinn is inconsequential at this point, our targets are far more pressing.

Ruliya wrote:Don't get me started on "no one being bothered to deal with it" ... when so much crap against women is just shoved under the rug... however, that's a whole other argument and discussion and I'll leave it there.


Seriously? You really want try and sell me that? No, by all means humor me on the subject, because the real ironic part is this entire discussion, the entire premise of anti-Gamer Gaters defense, has been about a woman, and how bad we should feel for getting on her case
"You can either fight at my side, or get crushed under my heel. But you will NOT stand in my way."

Image
User avatar
TheSorrow
Relentless Rebuke
 
Posts: 4114
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:51 pm
Location: Groznyj Grad

Re: Gamer Gate

Postby Skarlet » Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:42 pm

Why do you guys care so much.
You and me, baby, ain't nothing but mammals, so let's do it like they do on the Discovery Channel!
User avatar
Skarlet
I Am the Highway
 
Posts: 513
Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:30 pm

PreviousNext

Return to ShoutBox

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

cron