FACTPILE IS BACK!!!
CLICK HERE TO SEE FOR YOURSELF
Take a Tour of the Admin's Mancave

Gamer Gate

Like the name implies, this is the place to talk about whatever’s on your noodle.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Re: Gamer Gate

Postby TheSorrow » Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:46 am

Now even Stephen Colbert is trying to weigh in on the subject, and he chooses the absolute worst person to try and get any relevant information. You would think that the first person you would try to talk to about Gamer Gate would be an actual gamer, and not an idealist.
"You can either fight at my side, or get crushed under my heel. But you will NOT stand in my way."

TheSorrow
Relentless Rebuke

Postby Ruliya » Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:49 am

I haven't seen that, is there a link to it on youtube somewhere? Also, isn't Colbert supposed to be a satire show?
http://protogonus.deviantart.com/ - My Art, such as it is.

Ruliya
Utopia Overlord

Postby TheSorrow » Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:23 pm

Ruliya wrote:I haven't seen that, is there a link to it on youtube somewhere? Also, isn't Colbert supposed to be a satire show?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IosGtGjUxvQ It is supposed to be a satire show, but I guess she's adept enough Snake Oil salesman that she can con her way into most media outlets.
"You can either fight at my side, or get crushed under my heel. But you will NOT stand in my way."

TheSorrow
Relentless Rebuke

Postby Ruliya » Thu Oct 30, 2014 1:05 pm

I keep trying to watch this, but I keep pausing it... Colbert is fucking hilarious xD I assume guests going on know it's a satire show and know what they're getting themselves into, they have to.

The problem is, gamergate is and always will be about fringe extremist sides having a go at each other. The level headed middle, like us, don't really give a shit, we just want to play our games, and get on with our lives. Is there sexism in gaming? Sure. Is it as widespread and a huge problem as they claim? Not really.

Ruliya
Utopia Overlord

Postby TheSorrow » Thu Oct 30, 2014 1:18 pm

Ruliya wrote:I keep trying to watch this, but I keep pausing it... Colbert is fucking hilarious xD I assume guests going on know it's a satire show and know what they're getting themselves into, they have to.

The problem is, gamergate is and always will be about fringe extremist sides having a go at each other. The level headed middle, like us, don't really give a shit, we just want to play our games, and get on with our lives. Is there sexism in gaming? Sure. Is it as widespread and a huge problem as they claim? Not really.

Thing is, they assume they can keep pushing us around as if they control gaming industry. They aren't invested in playing games like we are, so it's a war of attrition, because in the end, we care more about how our hobby will turn out than they do.

TheSorrow
Relentless Rebuke

Postby Ruliya » Thu Oct 30, 2014 1:35 pm

The problem is, there is a lot of harassment going on, there is a lot of rape and death threats being shouted, and that's the tangibility thing the media is latching on to. It's undeniable thanks to social media being everywhere. It's the problem of the vocal minority being seen and assumed to be the voice of the majority. Gaming has weather this sorta shit before, and it'll still be a huge thing. Gaming and Gamers, are certainly not dying.

Ruliya
Utopia Overlord

Postby TheSorrow » Thu Oct 30, 2014 1:40 pm

Same happens to every activist or even mildly famous person. Most them don't bring attention to it, because they know full well that the majority aren't insane enough to try anything like what they are saying. However, when Anita points to it, everyone is so shocked and appalled. It's completely hypocritical and it just tells me how shallow people are when looking into things that aren't apart of their lives.

TheSorrow
Relentless Rebuke

Postby Ruliya » Thu Oct 30, 2014 2:49 pm

Have you seen the shit she actually went through though? I mean even recently a guy threatening to shoot up a fucking school if she talked... You can't call her out saying it's all bullshit, when there's clearly deranged and demented fucks out there. She's in the public eye now, for better or worse, is it wrong of her to point out the hate and bullshit? Should she just sit quietly and be threatened and bullied? Or speak out. This isn't even about the hypocrisy in game journalism or sexism in gaming anymore, this sort of shit is the modern age Witch Hunts, and whether you want to admit it or not, it's wrong and disgusting.

Ruliya
Utopia Overlord

Postby TheSorrow » Thu Oct 30, 2014 3:09 pm

Ruliya wrote:Have you seen the shit she actually went through though? I mean even recently a guy threatening to shoot up a fucking school if she talked... You can't call her out saying it's all bullshit, when there's clearly deranged and demented fucks out there. She's in the public eye now, for better or worse, is it wrong of her to point out the hate and bullshit? Should she just sit quietly and be threatened and bullied? Or speak out. This isn't even about the hypocrisy in game journalism or sexism in gaming anymore, this sort of shit is the modern age Witch Hunts, and whether you want to admit it or not, it's wrong and disgusting.

Oh yes I can, because the Utah security and the Board of Directors came out to say that threat was not credible. It's wrong of her to use the threats as weapon to add fuel to her own cause, because that's exactly what she does. Just look at her Twitter feed, almost every single one of them is filled with how much of a victim she is. This exactly what people like her do, they talk about how oppressed and harassed they are, and then when someone has the nerve to try and get back to the main topic, someone just has to bring up "Well it's wrong for people to threaten her". Well no fucking shit, does that make anything she's trying to claim about gamers or men as a whole right? Fuck no.

TheSorrow
Relentless Rebuke

Postby Ruliya » Thu Oct 30, 2014 3:24 pm

But the threat was there, and they had to cancel. Because do you wanna take the risk? It's like bomb threats, you have to clear the building and check it out. It's not so much about the threat, it's about the fact that they can force her to cancel things with a phone call. That's the level of bullshit she, and now others have to deal with. The threats are a major part as to why this has blown up so big, you can't dismiss it. You talk about gamergate, you had to address the vitriol and threats that it's gained. Zoe Quinn is a fucking idiot, and nothing she's said holds much water due to massive amounts of hypocrisy, but at the same time, does she deserve the massive outcry, death and rape threats? Does she deserve to fear for her life? No. And that's what the media latched on to.

Ruliya
Utopia Overlord

PreviousNext

Return to ShoutBox