FACTPILE IS BACK!!!
CLICK HERE TO SEE FOR YOURSELF
Take a Tour of the Admin's Mancave

New "Ocean" Found Underground

Like the name implies, this is the place to talk about whatever’s on your noodle.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Re: New "Ocean" Found Underground

Postby Captain Epic » Sat Jun 21, 2014 1:18 pm

As philosopher Obi-Wan Kenobi said, "Only a Sith deals in absolutes."
Captain Epic
Honorary Avenger

Postby Soulerous » Sat Jun 21, 2014 1:31 pm

Captain Epic wrote:As philosopher Obi-Wan Kenobi said, "Only a Sith deals in absolutes."

"Only" being an absolute in itself. His statement is akin to "all generalizations are false."
Soulerous
Labled Incurable

Postby TheSorrow » Sat Jun 21, 2014 2:31 pm

Soulerous wrote:The point of what happens not being dictated by chance obviously does not mean the most likely outcomes don't usually happen. We know they do. It means only that it's not a absolute rule, which is already apparent by there being split chances in the first place. We can take those chances and predict which species will die and which will live, but once the given time passes we may find there were some unaccounted for or "freak" occurrences rendering our predictions inaccurate after all. This, then, would be "the survival of those that survive."

If that were the case, "the survival of those that survive", would be the exception to the rule, and not the rule itself.
"You can either fight at my side, or get crushed under my heel. But you will NOT stand in my way."

TheSorrow
Relentless Rebuke

Postby Soulerous » Sat Jun 21, 2014 3:38 pm

TheSorrow wrote:If that were the case, "the survival of those that survive", would be the exception to the rule, and not the rule itself.

The exception is the 1% and the rule the 99%, to use random numbers. The rule is less than 100% and thus a non-absolute, and it combined with the exception equals the truth. The latter is what the above phrase references.
Soulerous
Labled Incurable

Postby TheSorrow » Sat Jun 21, 2014 4:36 pm

You forget Soul, the quote Epic used was implying that "survival of those that survive" held precedence over "survival of the fittest". I have yet to see a case where that is in fact true.
"You can either fight at my side, or get crushed under my heel. But you will NOT stand in my way."

TheSorrow
Relentless Rebuke

Postby Captain Epic » Sat Jun 21, 2014 5:06 pm

TheSorrow wrote:You forget Soul, the quote Epic used was implying that "survival of those that survive" held precedence over "survival of the fittest". I have yet to see a case where that is in fact true.

Yeah, I see what you're saying. But wouldn't the quote signify Darwin's law still being in effect but there is room for it to have exceptions? That's the way I interpreted it. Doesn't mean I interpreted the way the speaker intended or the way you, or Soulerous, or Bill Nye, did.
Captain Epic
Honorary Avenger

Postby TheSorrow » Sat Jun 21, 2014 5:13 pm

The exceptions that come to mind would be something like rampant Human interference. Overfishing, or hunting a certain species into extinction.

TheSorrow
Relentless Rebuke

Postby Soulerous » Sat Jun 21, 2014 5:22 pm

TheSorrow wrote:The exceptions that come to mind would be something like rampant Human interference. Overfishing, or hunting a certain species into extinction.

That is what comes to my mind as well. Plus the dinosaur example as Deathtanker put it.

You forget Soul, the quote Epic used was implying that "survival of those that survive" held precedence over "survival of the fittest". I have yet to see a case where that is in fact true.

I did not forget so much as I had not seen the context in which it was used in the first place. I cannot comment on Ken's position on it, having avoided the debate in question save the opening statements.
Soulerous
Labled Incurable

Previous

Return to ShoutBox