FACTPILE IS BACK!!!
CLICK HERE TO SEE FOR YOURSELF
Take a Tour of the Admin's Mancave

New "Ocean" Found Underground

Like the name implies, this is the place to talk about whatever’s on your noodle.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

New "Ocean" Found Underground

Postby Soulerous » Tue Jun 17, 2014 4:32 pm

Four hundred miles beneath Earth's surface, locked in a mineral called ringwoodite, scientists have discovered a reservoir of water said to contain three times the volume of the planet's oceans. The theory that water on Earth came from within rather than from comets seems to have gained some valuable support. Here is one of the several articles.

I find this very fascinating, so I wanted to share.
Soulerous
Labled Incurable

Re: New "Ocean" Found Underground

Postby Ruliya » Tue Jun 17, 2014 5:07 pm

I'd heard this, and it is indeed rather interesting.
http://protogonus.deviantart.com/ - My Art, such as it is.

Ruliya
Utopia Overlord

Postby TheSorrow » Tue Jun 17, 2014 5:22 pm

You know I would be excited about this, but now I can only imagine that Young Earth Creationists will use this to prove that the Great Flood did in fact happen.
"You can either fight at my side, or get crushed under my heel. But you will NOT stand in my way."

TheSorrow
Relentless Rebuke

Postby Soulerous » Tue Jun 17, 2014 7:29 pm

TheSorrow wrote:You know I would be excited about this, but now I can only imagine that Young Earth Creationists will use this to prove that the Great Flood did in fact happen.

I hardly see that as an issue. Some people will use anything to try to prove their beliefs. Why, if finding a bunch of water in the Earth's mantle in any way signifies that it is vastly younger than we thought, I'll eat my hat.

Besides, last I checked there are still trees over seven thousand years old. May they live long and prosper.
Soulerous
Labled Incurable

Postby TheSorrow » Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:16 pm

You vastly underestimate how far they go to disregard that for the sake of faith. They believe that Carbon dating and Radiometric dating or unreliable because they like cherry-picking the times that they can't be used properly. I'm not at all saying it threatens science's credibility in anyway, shape or form, but it still annoys the shit out of me when they use evidence, by very same process' they claim to be skeptical of, to prove their arguments.
"You can either fight at my side, or get crushed under my heel. But you will NOT stand in my way."

TheSorrow
Relentless Rebuke

Postby Soulerous » Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:09 am

Well, ridiculousness annoys me as much as the next person, but something so small-scale and inconsequential is easy to ignore. The difference I meant to indicate is it won't take away from my enthusiasm with this scientific discovery, while you seem to have said different. I wish we could get down there for samples, but obviously four hundred miles is much too deep. Our limitations in discovering the world is more frustrating to me.
Soulerous
Labled Incurable

Postby TheSorrow » Thu Jun 19, 2014 12:29 am

Oh I know my position on this is not very defensible. It's just a pet peeve of mine, knowing that for years after this discovery, people will be lead astray by pseudo-science religious types like Ray Comfort, Ken Ham, or Eric Hovind.

TheSorrow
Relentless Rebuke

Postby Soulerous » Thu Jun 19, 2014 12:33 pm

Alight, I get that.
Soulerous
Labled Incurable

Postby Captain Epic » Fri Jun 20, 2014 2:21 pm

Ken Ham got a really bad rap after the whole Bill Nye debate, but to be fair some of the stuff he said had merit. I think it's really easy to dismiss pseudo-science religious folks as wacky but I try to be open to all sources. But personally I believe science and religion aren't at odds they're just two sides of the same coin.
Captain Epic
Honorary Avenger

Postby TheSorrow » Fri Jun 20, 2014 5:36 pm

Captain Epic wrote:Ken Ham got a really bad rap after the whole Bill Nye debate, but to be fair some of the stuff he said had merit. I think it's really easy to dismiss pseudo-science religious folks as wacky but I try to be open to all sources. But personally I believe science and religion aren't at odds they're just two sides of the same coin.

Ken Ham had a bad rap well before the Bill Nye debate, not to mention that basically at the start of it, he admitted that no amount of evidence would convince him that Bible could be wrong. So it wasn't even a debate, just a place for him to preach to anyone who would listen. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6j8Babr_n4w This is all I need to dismiss Ken Ham as not worth the time.

TheSorrow
Relentless Rebuke

Next

Return to ShoutBox