FACTPILE IS BACK!!!
CLICK HERE TO SEE FOR YOURSELF
Take a Tour of the Admin's Mancave

Thor vs Link

This is where you will debate until the main site comes back online.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Authors

Re: Thor vs Link

Postby Alpha or Omega » Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:42 pm

Friendlysociopath wrote:
guardianangel1911 wrote:Hulk holding New York is Avengers Assemble, in Earth's Mightiest heroes Thor slowed the descent of a falling New York. Different continuities.

New York... fell?

Disgruntled scientist uses the power of gravity to do that to city.
A lesson is learnt from victory, a thousand from defeat.
Alpha or Omega
Zombie Eater

Postby guardianangel1911 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:50 pm

First episodes the villain Graviton who has the ability to...manipulate gravity for things basically Magneto but gravity instead of magnetism....lifted Manhatan (or one of the islands) and a big old hunk of land out of the ground and bay when Graviton was briefly stunned/ko'd it started to fall, Thor flew under it and stabalized its fall and seemed to stop it from being the city wrecking event it should have been. Ooor yeah what Alpha said.

In the second (first of the three links without spaces between them) feat compilations I posted
https://youtu.be/UPVnBz4kBfU
at 4:40 or so Graviton lifts it and a damn big chunk of earth under it. 5:29 or so Thor smacks through Gravitons gravity bubble tko'ing him, Manhattan starts falling and Thor flies under it to stabilize and slow its descent..cause I'm pretty sure if not for him that Manhattan should've hit a hell of a lot harder than it did. Also after that is Thor's uber city wrecking lightning beam blast thing. Weirdly this one doesn't have the crazy gravity incident for Thor..need to go through them all one of them has the part of the Graviton fight where Graviton increases gravity on Thor 1000 fold causing him to sink into the earth until he gets a foothold and pulls himself back out.
"Fuck subtle."

guardianangel1911
Voice of the People

Postby guardianangel1911 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:00 pm

Here's the one with the 1000x Gravity deal, took a bit because this one isn't quite episode order so it jumps around.
https://youtu.be/YyFNAN2SZHY?t=199
3:19 fight with Graviton starts..3:40 he grabs Thor and explains what someone controlling a fundamental force of the universe can do, removing gravity for Thor sending him hurtling into Space (which he did at one point do to Iron Man temporarily bfring him) or what he does do to Thor and "increase it a thousand fold"...so yeah while caught off guard by it Thor manages to escape from being smacked into the Earth by 1000 times Earths gravity.
"Fuck subtle."

guardianangel1911
Voice of the People

Postby Friendlysociopath » Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:06 pm

guardianangel1911 wrote:First episodes the villain Graviton who has the ability to...manipulate gravity for things basically Magneto but gravity instead of magnetism....lifted Manhatan (or one of the islands) and a big old hunk of land out of the ground and bay when Graviton was briefly stunned/ko'd it started to fall, Thor flew under it and stabalized its fall and seemed to stop it from being the city wrecking event it should have been. Ooor yeah what Alpha said.

In the second (first of the three links without spaces between them) feat compilations I posted
https://youtu.be/UPVnBz4kBfU
at 4:40 or so Graviton lifts it and a damn big chunk of earth under it. 5:29 or so Thor smacks through Gravitons gravity bubble tko'ing him, Manhattan starts falling and Thor flies under it to stabilize and slow its descent..cause I'm pretty sure if not for him that Manhattan should've hit a hell of a lot harder than it did. Also after that is Thor's uber city wrecking lightning beam blast thing. Weirdly this one doesn't have the crazy gravity incident for Thor..need to go through them all one of them has the part of the Graviton fight where Graviton increases gravity on Thor 1000 fold causing him to sink into the earth until he gets a foothold and pulls himself back out.

Might also mention at 6:20 - 6:35 Thor makes a crater that looks the size of lower Manhattan.
Friendlysociopath
Voice of the People

Postby guardianangel1911 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:08 pm

That was the giant lightning beam thing I mentioned. Not sure if that's more lightning or like Thor doing his equivalent of the KameHameHa.
"Fuck subtle."

guardianangel1911
Voice of the People

Postby Friendlysociopath » Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:42 pm

guardianangel1911 wrote:That was the giant lightning beam thing I mentioned. Not sure if that's more lightning or like Thor doing his equivalent of the KameHameHa.

Oh that's what you meant. I stopped at that point so I wasn't sure if you were referring to later in the video or not.

Buuuut yeah- if he even had a slight impact on slowing Manhattan's descent (and that is, indeed, a lot of rock) then that's well into the absurd-numbers of strength.
According to this:
https://www.quora.com/How-many-building ... -Manhattan
There's somewhere between 45,000 - 60,000 buildings in Manhattan, quite a few of which are more than single-story.

I remember using this link for calculating Sephiroth's strength.
http://old.seattletimes.com/html/askthe ... hay19.html
But it's not really about skyscrapers. But, if we assume 345,000 pounds per building (ludicrous lowball) then that's anywhere from 15,525,000,000 to 20,700,000,000 pounds on buildings alone. No roads, no cars, no people, and certainly not that huge-ass chunk of rock. To even begin to slow that by applying an acceleration of 1m/s/s he would have to exert between 7,762,500,000 and 10,350,000,000 Newtons of Force. Frankly I'm willing to chuck another 0 on each of those just because that's a LOT of rock underneath it. And I still don't think I'm close. I could probably add two 00's still not be close, maybe even three 000's.
Friendlysociopath
Voice of the People

Postby guardianangel1911 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:47 pm

Yeah...EMH was...weirdly faithful to the comics not break a planet degree's, though there was the whole planet busting bomb thing. Interestingly EMH Thor has definitive feats of flying at high speeds without doing the "throw Mjolnir" thing like when he punches the super laser Kang's spaceship fires back at said ship and flies faster than a Quinjet which is capable of achieving escape velocities. EMH Thor was a fucking beast which is part of what I enjoyed about the series every Avenger got their dues and moments to shine like the time on the Kree homeworld where Thor soloed their entire military..as a distraction.
"Fuck subtle."

guardianangel1911
Voice of the People

Postby Alpha or Omega » Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:57 pm

I thought the kamehameha hadouken wave Thor shot out was the EMH's equivalent to the god-blast.

Yeah, EMH's was pretty much faithful in all aspects. They pulled material from the past comics (like the Avengers forming, the return of Captain America, Beta Ray Bill's origin) and the present comics (the Skrulls secret invasion or the Winter Soldier) and put a little spin or creativity with them.
In regards to Thor, his character is much, much more accurate than the goofball we see in the MCU.
It was basically the Marvel equivalent to the DCAU.
Alpha or Omega
Zombie Eater

Postby guardianangel1911 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:15 pm

Could be, in which case lightning resistance gear probably not going to help (then again sheer explosive force of the attack might make that moot?)

I mean...it was the Marvel Animated Universe, it crossed over with Spectacular Spider-Man and Wolverine and the X-Men and the Hulk vs Movies are canon to it (if grain of salt worthy perhaps) and the kid Thor movie about Surturs sword I think was in the same continuity. It was the most shared Marvel animated universe to date I think.

The oooold Avengers cartoon had no continuity to anything most of the 90's animated series were self contained...though Iron Man did crossover with Hulk and Spider-Man had his teamups with X-Men and arguably some others depending on how you read the Secret Wars thing so it may or may not be the next biggest or comparable one (didn't have movies though). Most of the other animated Marvel movies are all a mixed bag of self contained or one and a sequel. There's the current Spider-Verse stuff with Ultimate Spider-Man, the Avengers Assemble show (is that still going?) and Hulk Agents of Smash (is that still even a thing?) but no movies again, unless that animated Miles Morales movie is in continuity with the Ultimate series?
"Fuck subtle."

guardianangel1911
Voice of the People

Postby Alpha or Omega » Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:24 pm

guardianangel1911 wrote:Could be, in which case lightning resistance gear probably not going to help (then again sheer explosive force of the attack might make that moot?)

I mean, what is Link is suppose to do anyway? Any attack from Thor would waste him, while any attack from Link wouldn't work.

guardianangel1911 wrote:I mean...it was the Marvel Animated Universe, it crossed over with Spectacular Spider-Man and Wolverine and the X-Men and the Hulk vs Movies are canon to it (if grain of salt worthy perhaps) and the kid Thor movie about Surturs sword I think was in the same continuity. It was the most shared Marvel animated universe to date I think.

I don't remember the Spectacular bit, but yeah, those were in the same continuity.

EMH's also had a good theme song.
Alpha or Omega
Zombie Eater

PreviousNext

Return to Factpile Debates