FACTPILE IS BACK!!!
CLICK HERE TO SEE FOR YOURSELF
Take a Tour of the Admin's Mancave

Shonen vs Light Novels

This is where you will debate until the main site comes back online.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Authors

Re: Shonen vs Light Novels

Postby Friendlysociopath » Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:11 pm

Polloloko wrote:Friendly, are you there?

Always. I just don't always have time for commenting
Friendlysociopath
Voice of the People

Postby Polloloko » Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:43 pm

Always. I just don't always have time for commenting.

Ah ok, what do you mean on "Natsu fair enough is here just because I wanted 4v4 and in all honesty he would be dumped alongside Accelerator if we did that" I didnt understand it, also who is being ban here?
Polloloko
Misery Machine

Postby Friendlysociopath » Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:07 pm

Polloloko wrote:

Ah ok, what do you mean on "Natsu fair enough is here just because I wanted 4v4 and in all honesty he would be dumped alongside Accelerator if we did that" I didnt understand it, also who is being ban here?

If we ban Accelerator, we ban Natsu, just so it's 3v3.
I'm well aware Natsu =\= Accelerator
Friendlysociopath
Voice of the People

Postby Shgon-Dunstan » Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:32 am

Friendlysociopath wrote:
Polloloko wrote:

... But Natsu was the only one of the others that had a halfway decent ability(fire eating to be exact) that Naruto didn't have.

I mean, Luffy's "is made of rubber" doesn't really matter much with the chakra cloaks durability, and Ichigo... I guess they're the ability to konso, but how the hell often is that going to come up?

...Well, then again, given the other team. Team Shonen might just be needing that one pretty soon. :lol:
Kneel and swear to the Lord Dragon, or you will be knelt. - Mazrim Taim
Shgon-Dunstan
Luminous Flesh Giant

Postby Friendlysociopath » Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:01 am

Luffy also has Haki- which he in particular has showings of Observation and Armament Haki.

Observation basically functions as precognition and even allows you to see through walls if I remember what Pimp said,
Armament allows you to basically strike through reality-warping and still hit.

For example, the Devil Fruit user who can make his body into an element, like water. Punching him would be like punching water- pointless. He'd reform and you'd have done nothing to him.
Armament Haki allows you to bypass this- you punch them and deal damage to their body regardless of whether they're water or not. You can strike and damage things that can't normally be damaged.
Friendlysociopath
Voice of the People

Postby Shgon-Dunstan » Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:16 am

Friendlysociopath wrote:Luffy also has Haki- which he in particular has showings of Observation and Armament Haki.

Observation basically functions as precognition and even allows you to see through walls if I remember what Pimp said,

For example, the Devil Fruit user who can make his body into an element, like water. Punching him would be like punching water- pointless. He'd reform and you'd have done nothing to him.
Armament Haki allows you to bypass this- you punch them and deal damage to their body regardless of whether they're water or not. You can strike and damage things that can't normally be damaged.

Naruto has three different kinds of precog. His chakra sense(which even with just Sage Mode works over like a hundred miles), his ability to sense hostile intent(with seemingly the same range), and post war he even simply has precognative feelings about the future. At least two of those are usable as combat precog.

Observation is kinda different, but not enough to actually be useful. Way shorter range at that.

Armament... Is basically just the same thing as the chakra cloak to begin with, and Luffy's doesn't have anywhere near the stats to be worth it.

Also, it just counters Fruit users powers. It's not like he can just punch random shadows apart or anything.
Shgon-Dunstan
Luminous Flesh Giant

Postby Friendlysociopath » Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:08 am

Shgon-Dunstan wrote:
Friendlysociopath wrote:Luffy also has Haki- which he in particular has showings of Observation and Armament Haki.

Naruto has three different kinds of precog. His chakra sense(which even with just Sage Mode works over like a hundred miles), his ability to sense hostile intent(with seemingly the same range), and post war he even simply has precognative feelings about the future. At least two of those are usable as combat precog.

Observation is kinda different, but not enough to actually be useful. Way shorter range at that.

Armament... Is basically just the same thing as the chakra cloak to begin with, and Luffy's doesn't have anywhere near the stats to be worth it.

Also, it just counters Fruit users powers. It's not like he can just punch random shadows apart or anything.

How does Chakra Sense work? Is it like other Naruto powers where it relies on the enemy having a Chakra network?
Hostile Intent sensing is something every random Japanese character gets- I don't buy it as an actual power. Totally mundane characters "sense killing/hostile intent" when nothing else about them is magical or even supernatural. It's right up there with being able to sneeze when someone is thinking about you.

Ummm why does it specifically counter Fruit powers? Haki and Devil Fruit are two separate powers- they have nothing to do with one another AFAIK aside from the fact that Haki-users can hurt even Fruit-users who do not have a physical form.

Luffy punched a guy into the ground hard enough to basically lift a city, and the bedrock beneath it, into the air in a 'v' shape- which requires no small bit of force. And unlike Naruto, Luffy's feat requires no (poorly) scaled map to get an idea of how strong it was and isn't reliant on DBZ-ish energy blasts.
Friendlysociopath
Voice of the People

Postby Shgon-Dunstan » Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:24 am

Friendlysociopath wrote:
Shgon-Dunstan wrote:Naruto has three different kinds of precog. His chakra sense(which even with just Sage Mode works over like a hundred miles), his ability to sense hostile intent(with seemingly the same range), and post war he even simply has precognative feelings about the future. At least two of those are usable as combat precog.

How does Chakra Sense work? Is it like other Naruto powers where it relies on the enemy having a Chakra network?

Spiritual and physical energy predate the Sage. Hell, Naruto can sense Nature energy as well if it comes to that. Simple equivalency means it should work just fine.

Hostile Intent sensing is something every random Japanese character gets- I don't buy it as an actual power. Totally mundane characters "sense killing/hostile intent" when nothing else about them is magical or even supernatural. It's right up there with being able to sneeze when someone is thinking about you.

A. You personal feelings on the matter don't mean anything.

B... ... ... You do realize that Observation Haki works by reading peoples surface thoughts, right?
Ummm why does it specifically counter Fruit powers? Haki and Devil Fruit are two separate powers- they have nothing to do with one another AFAIK aside from the fact that Haki-users can hurt even Fruit-users who do not have a physical form.

It's more that Devil Fruit powers are weak against it, hence how it can do that.

Luffy punched a guy into the ground hard enough to basically lift a city, and the bedrock beneath it, into the air in a 'v' shape- which requires no small bit of force. And unlike Naruto, Luffy's feat requires no (poorly) scaled map to get an idea of how strong it was and isn't reliant on DBZ-ish energy blasts.

... Naruto overpowered an attack that cut the moon in two. The thing could of been half the size of ours, completely hollow, and made of freaking rice paper. It is still so insanely over anything that Luffy has ever done that to compere the two is completely ridiculous. -_-
Shgon-Dunstan
Luminous Flesh Giant

Postby Friendlysociopath » Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:52 am

Shgon-Dunstan wrote:
Friendlysociopath wrote:
Shgon-Dunstan wrote:Naruto has three different kinds of precog. His chakra sense(which even with just Sage Mode works over like a hundred miles), his ability to sense hostile intent(with seemingly the same range), and post war he even simply has precognative feelings about the future. At least two of those are usable as combat precog.

Spiritual and physical energy predate the Sage. Hell, Naruto can sense Nature energy as well if it comes to that. Simple equivalency means it should work just fine.

So how does Chakra Sense work? The reason I asked is many Naruto abilities work based on chakra flowing through certain channels in the body and also hand-signs to "focus" it. If the Chakra Sense is reliant on these things, you can have something EC to Chakra that Chakra Sense won't work on.
Gilgamesh and Izayoi don't have chakra and possibly not even an equivalent, Layfon has 'Kei', which presumably would be quite EC as he even has a Kei network. So if it does work by checking Chakra Networks for example- it will work on Layfon as he not only has an element similar to Chakra, but a similar way of using it.
Izayoi works on a nanomachines perpetual-motion device (or so the shenaningans on the wiki insists) and Gilgamesh works on Magical Energy/Od- which are refined 'raw' energy. Gilgamesh's energy might be EC to Chakra on a level of energy- but that doesn't mean he has the paths such a technique may target.
That's why I asked how it worked. It might work on all of them, none of them, and every combination in-between.

Shgon-Dunstan wrote:

A. You personal feelings on the matter don't mean anything.

B... ... ... You do realize that Observation Haki works by reading peoples service thoughts, right?

A: Actually I cited an actual reason behind it, various characters all demonstrate this power uniformly, despite several of them not having any special abilities and it being something of a trope- similar to how after-images basically mean nothing as it can't happen. We can dismiss how a certain power works if the support is questionable.
Which is why I have another example, multiple characters in fiction have the canonical power to know when their name is spoken and sneeze.

But are you telling me Naruto has never failed to sense hostile/killing intent against him? Nobody has ever ambushed him and so on?

B: Wanna cite that? The wiki seems to indicate it's more based on the auras of those around the user.

Shgon-Dunstan wrote:

It's more that Devil Fruit powers are weak against it, hence how it can do that.

What was that about personal feelings? There's nothing to indicate Devil Fruit are "weak" against Haki except that Haki works against them.

Shgon-Dunstan wrote:

... Naruto overpowered an attack that cut the moon in two. The thing could of been half the size of ours, completely hollow, and made of freaking rice paper. It is still so insanely over anything that Luffy has ever done that to compere the two is completely ridiculous. -_-

While the vinegar is appreciated, completely hollow and made of rice paper would mean he cut through a sheet of rice paper- two at most- which is not gonna be nearly that much energy no matter how big you make it.
Also, that "moon-splitting attack" pierced through the moon yes- Naruto to not be damaged would have to make himself more durable than said moon parts- you even see the energy flying off of him to indicate that exact thing is occurring.
However, if the energy is flying off, he's not withstanding the full force of it. Deflecting something always takes less than the full force value. Accordingly, some of the attack's value is lost.

I will admit the city-lifting feat isn't in the same ballpark but to my credit, that's because there are a few feats related to those "God-Threads" and I assumed it was the city one as I assumed that was the 600 Petatons calc. Instead it's apparently related to busting some dude's Haki-threads and Luffy busting through them based on how much Haki improves arrows to bust through trees/rocks or some such shenanigans.
Friendlysociopath
Voice of the People

Postby Polloloko » Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:48 pm

Why dont just ban Accelerator due him bieng, you know....God.

You can change Accelerator for Shana

She can be Natsu's rival in this match.

What that means?
Polloloko
Misery Machine

PreviousNext

Return to Factpile Debates