FACTPILE IS BACK!!!
CLICK HERE TO SEE FOR YOURSELF
Take a Tour of the Admin's Mancave

Sephiroth vs Vergil

This is where you will debate until the main site comes back online.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Authors

Sephiroth vs Vergil

Postby Friendlysociopath » Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:32 am

Suggester: Alpha or Omega
Characters: Sephiroth (Final Fantasy VII), Vergil (Devil May Cry)

Image:

Description:
Silver haired swordsmen clash.
Friendlysociopath
Voice of the People

Re: Sephiroth vs Vergil

Postby Lowk » Thu Feb 23, 2017 3:01 am

Don't know how it'll end but I'm fairly certain it begins like

Seph: Something something know despair
Verg: Something something power

*white hair flipping in overly dramatic wind mixed with the sound of a katana unsheathing*
-insert choir over epic guitar riffs-
Smokey Bear: Omnipotence concerning Wildfires
McGruff: Omnipotence concerning crime
-Deathbattle Never change Deathbattle

Don't try to confuse me with your science.
-Geoff "Z-Bo" Ramsey
Lowk
All Secrets Known

Postby Friendlysociopath » Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:37 am

So is this Advent Children Sephiroth or FF7 Sephiroth? The difference is somewhat important.

Advent Children Sephiroth is a being of energy that requires, presumably, a certain amount of punishment to be dealt to him before he actually fades away- almost identical to a healthbar funnily enough.
FF7 Sephiroth has an actual physical body in the sense that he's made of cells and jazz, although he can change his form when damaged due to the whole "Jenova cellular-level changing at-will" thing.

I'ma just gonna point out for the moment (don't know when I'm leaving so no time for in-depth video searching) that Sephiroth's willingness to torture and screw with people he actually knows, (Cloud, Zack, Genesis) doesn't apply to random people he comes across as he hasn't had time to befriend/hate them to those levels. He might not go all-out right off the bat but he isn't going to deliberately refrain from using his powers like he does against Cloud.
However, proceeding on that point requires the whole AC vs FF7 thing to be answered.

Personally I think it'd be cool for DMC3 Vergil vs AC Sephiroth or DMC Neo Angelo vs FF7 Sephiroth- that's just me though.
Friendlysociopath
Voice of the People

Postby CH1C4N0444 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 4:43 pm

I've just started playing the DMC series(Xbone had the remake and 4 for sale so yea). I wanna say Sephiroth, but I haven't seen much from either.
CH1C4N0444
I Am the Highway

Postby Amm0vamp1r3 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 5:06 pm

I think (from what I remember) Vergil has the physical and weapon advantage but sephiroth has materia and flight

I think Vergil should be able to pull out a win
Amm0vamp1r3
Primarch

Postby Friendlysociopath » Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:11 am

Amm0vamp1r3 wrote:I think (from what I remember) Vergil has the physical and weapon advantage but sephiroth has materia and flight

I think Vergil should be able to pull out a win

Weapon advantage I can see, albeit I personally dislike how any given Vergil match devolves into "Yamato cuts anything" when we clearly see there are some exceptions to this rule- even outside of Dante's Rebellion or Nero's Devil Arm, Dante cuts Arkham with it in the one cutscene and despite Vergil previously slicing a limb off, Dante's blow just causes him to spurt blood. Also you kinda have to wonder if it can cut anything in the world why Nero instead used his fist against Savior instead of just decapitating the thing with Yamato- particularly when the Yamato being able to do more or less exactly that was the point of Dante's scene of using it.

But how does Vergil hold a physical advantage? Speed is debatable since last time Vergil came up various people were calling for supersonic speeds which should be in Sephiroth's ballpark but strength sure isn't.
Sephiroth during his Advent Children battle with Cloud hurls a couple floors of Shinra HQ into the air without even exerting himself. Also he can either physically move the Midgar Zolom onto a tree or he can use his TK to do so. Both of these are multi-ton feats, the former of with was with so little effort that Sephiroth was never even breathing hard or grunting from his battle.
https://youtu.be/7s1VyV3OP4Q?t=4m23s
http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/File ... _Death.jpg
Vergil's best strength feats are just clashing with DMC3-era Dante, so practically non-existent.
Friendlysociopath
Voice of the People

Postby Kitten Lord » Fri Feb 24, 2017 5:07 am

Nero instead used his fist against Savior instead of just decapitating the thing with Yamato

Because grabbing its face and crushing it was far more satisfying ;)

Speed is debatable since last time Vergil came up various people were calling for supersonic speeds

I think its more a case of him having effortless bullet timing feats to the extreme, like catching bullets with his sword and sending them back sort of thing. We do not see anything like that from Sephiroth so any close combat engagement should be in Vergils favor.

However;

Advent Children battle with Cloud hurls a couple floors of Shinra HQ

Assuming he uses/can use TK like this on Vergil and we could determine high forces from it we could easily determine that Sephiroth has a massive range advantage. I favor anyone who has Tk against someone who has far less ranged options like Vergil but he thing is, as OP suggests their swordsman, so Vergil would likely win this more than most.
Kitten Lord
Organ Grinder

Postby Alpha or Omega » Fri Feb 24, 2017 5:15 am

I didn't say it was strictly swords. All I said was that they're swordsmen.
A lesson is learnt from victory, a thousand from defeat.
Alpha or Omega
Zombie Eater

Postby Kitten Lord » Fri Feb 24, 2017 5:28 am

I know 8-)

Hence why i said they are swordsmen, and as such both appear to be most comfortable in close combat, closing with their enemies to fight hand to hand despite other avenues being potentially open to them. And in that fight, i am confident in saying Vergil wins.
Kitten Lord
Organ Grinder

Postby Alpha or Omega » Fri Feb 24, 2017 5:42 am

But, they don't primarily use their swords either. In his fight against Genesis, he's shown using blade beams, and his fight against Cloud shows him sending down parts of buildings. Same for Vergil, both of his fights in DMC 3 and 4 has him use summoned swords and scabbard as projectiles.

Also, Sephiroth does have the advantage of a longer sword too.
A lesson is learnt from victory, a thousand from defeat.
Alpha or Omega
Zombie Eater

Next

Return to Factpile Debates