FACTPILE IS BACK!!!
CLICK HERE TO SEE FOR YOURSELF
Take a Tour of the Admin's Mancave

Fictional Conflict

Discuss all things Art, Theatre, Cuisine, and everything that separates us from animals.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Re: Fictional Conflict

Postby Deathtanker » Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:18 pm

I think my favorite fictional conflict is the Second Extrasolar War in the Killzone series.

Never before have I seen such a seamless fusion of modern and future technology in a such a visceral conflict. Granted, a lot of that has do with the fact that the games focus a lot of their time on getting a realistic feel to it so that even COD games feels like just another arcade shooter. However, the Second Extrasolar War is breath taking in its ferocity and sheer will presented within. Other series like to show 'power' through super weapons, super soldiers, and characters watching entire planets die without batting an eyelash. The Second Extrasolar War doesn't need those things.

What it has the presentation of sheer will and the horror that occurs when two sides of humans (the Helghast are very close cousins with only a few meaningful differences) go at each other with everything they got. This is further compacted by the fact that neither side is really 'right.' Yes, the ISA is the protagonist faction and shows the familiar presentation of a 'Western' army, but a look behind the scenes and the history shows that for all the heavy-handedness of the Helghast, they really can't be solely blamed for what they have become. Indeed, the fact the overall war is based loosely on World War 2 really helps in it terms of believability and gives it a lasting impression.

And the ends they go to to win! The Helghast nuked themselves to gain victory. Let me run that by you again - the Helghast dropped their sole nuke on their capital to destroy the main concentration of ISA troops and led to the eventual surrender of all ISA forces. Granted this is not impressive in other contexts, but those other series are always over the top. A nuke in 40k? Pitiful. A nuke in halo? Routine. A nuke in Killzone - cataclysmic and almost breaks the entire ISA army from the fight. Casting doubts on all the characters and shows just how far their enemy is willing to go to win. Its not the size of the explosion that matters, but the realistic impact it has. A single nuke in Killzone has done far more damage than any single cyclonic torpedo in Warhammer 40k.

That's something most other series never really learned. War is not merely an act of violence in terms of tradition human, but also a test of will. Just how far are you willing to go to win? The Helghast proved their will to win was greater than the ISA when they decided that using a nuke on themselves was acceptable. The ISA balked and surrendered after they realized just how little chance they had of ever winning. That is very powerful story telling to me.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

shaun182 wrote:In the novel ONI are supplying arms and other equipment to a sangheii group of religious fanatics, who oppose the arbiter and his stance on peace with humans, ONI are doing this because they believe eventually as human will once again expand and colonise the galaxy, and they will eventually run into sangheii and another conflict will arise, so they attempting to start civil war to weaken them.

I can't even begin to describe how ludicrous/dangerous that plan is. But its Halo, so its par for the course.
Robert Frost wrote:The best way out is always through.

Deathtanker
Canewielder

Postby AquilaChrysaetos » Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:44 pm

Jwlynas wrote:See, even here, classical warfare is far more interesting to me. Give me a castle siege over an interplanetary war any day. It helps that fiction gets magic, and has the potential for dizzying heights of lunacy

I have to agree with this. Although I can learn to love some futuristic interplanetary wars, the old fashioned sword and shield type wars (especially witha hint of magic thrown in) have always intrigued me a bit more.
"Many wish they could be the sun, so the could brighten your day. I wish to be the moon, which shines down upon you on your darkest hour"
AquilaChrysaetos
Organ Grinder

Postby Alpha or Omega » Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:15 pm

Mine are the lores from scan datas from the Metroid Prime trilogy series.
Out of the three games,
The third prime game has a record from a lore that interested me the most.
It was the lores on Bryyo,
It had a meetings between three races with great intellect.
However, there was a great schism between magic and science due to the ignoring of the chozo's words.
This caused a war with the Lords of Science and Primals of the Bryyonains.
Two non-barbarics,one male and the other female, survived a great decline, but unfortunately, their resources (fuel gel) Exploded, and left them trapped with a war band of barbaric bryyonians.
The male was killed, but not much was known about what happened to the female bryyo.
/
It interests me because, it feels like a mystery. The story is only recorded, but it is not seen, and the ending is a complete mystery.
Metroid likes itself to be a mystery.
A lesson is learnt from victory, a thousand from defeat.
Alpha or Omega
Zombie Eater

Postby tau43 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:55 pm

Leviathan style.
tau43
Zombie Eater

Postby theobserver » Tue Apr 10, 2012 4:39 pm

The Sinestro Corps war has to be some of the best that I've read in the past few months. It was great not because of the casualties that it caused, or how Sinestro ultimately lost to the Lanterns, but on the bittersweet victory of both sides. Sinestro was willing to bet that the GL corps would be unable to defeat the Yellow Lanterns while unable to use lethal force. Eventually the GLs were pushed to the brink until the Guardians had to make changes to the book of Oa, which started with the use of lethal force. With that, the Lanterns won, but Sinestro gained something irreversible from the Lanterns. Now that the lanterns can use lethal force against their enemies, those they are trying to protect will irrevocably feel the influence of fear, and turn the corps into something that Sinestro had intended from the very beginning. It didn't matter that he lost the war because that was never the point of the action. He simply reshaped the enemy organization into something that would ultimately spread fear into the universe and strengthen the source of his power.
theobserver
Harvester of Sorrow

Postby Messmaker » Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:09 am

tau43 wrote:Leviathan style.

Westerfeild.
Awesome book.
If you are going through hell . . .
Keep going.
--Winston Churchill
Help my eggs!
http://dragcave.net/user/Messmaker