FACTPILE IS BACK!!!
CLICK HERE TO SEE FOR YOURSELF
Take a Tour of the Admin's Mancave

Era of Warfare

Discuss all things Art, Theatre, Cuisine, and everything that separates us from animals.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Era of Warfare

Postby Megaraptor18 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:37 pm

Well its simple really what era of warfare interests you the most. Is it the Greek era, the Roman era, Medieval era, Dark Ages, Age of the Samurai, Three Kingdom era China, Colonial/Revolutionary era to the Napoleonic era, Victorian era, World Wars, or Modern Warfare or other.

Which era interests you the most.
It's only funny until someone gets hurt...then it's hilarious!

Megaraptor18
Site Admin

Re: Era of Warfare

Postby Siggymansz » Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:48 pm

All of those choices are good, although I prefer eras with guns over those without.
Spoiler
Siggymansz
Primarch

Postby Jwlynas » Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:04 pm

I tend to prefer the era's where Spearmen, cavalry and armoured footmen ruled the battlefield, and the other sorts of infantry and horsemen were a rarity or a speciality. Give me a battle with castle walls, Ballistae and a mass of vikings with handaxes charging into a roman encampment any day.

That and Three Kingdoms era China/ Feudal kingdoms Japan. Lovely. Often wanted a game or series that blends the two...
Jwlynas
Zombie Eater

Postby Deathtanker » Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:14 pm

Medieval. Everything was relatively straight forward in those times compared to ours and the battles were no less brutal.

That and actual skill counted for much more in those times. Anybody can operate an AK-47 to the effect of being dangerous to even our most elite soldiers. The same can not be said when the 'elite' where a bunch of armored noblemen, strong enough to do hand stands in plate armor, riding horses to better suit their ability to simple roll over all opposition without the slightest bit of trouble.

As much as movies and even some historical texts would like you to believe, if your opponent has knights and you don't and everything else is exactly the same - you have lost.
Robert Frost wrote:The best way out is always through.

Deathtanker
Canewielder

Postby Cpt Olimar » Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:01 am

Not that I am an expert on it, but Roman warfare always interested me to some degree. Additionally, I always smile whenever I think of Constantinople and how it managed to survive so long against so many assaults, but I guess the Byzantine Empire is only the last breath of Roman military might.
Sanctity Falls primary character - Felix
/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=70&start=0
"Without books, I might perhaps have been tougher; but an educated mind is neither insensitive nor callous"
-Cicero
Cpt Olimar
Utopia Overlord

Postby Matapiojo » Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:48 am

I honestly do not know, guess I've never really asked myself this question. I've found myself being drawn by the events in the first half of the 20th century, but couldn't really answer if it was because it is stil relatable to me as I lived through the tail-end of some lasting events (Cold War), or if it was due to the sheer scope of the theatres in question.

I particularly like WW1 because it transitioned from the head-on, "civilized" form of war into the type of warfare we know today. Images such as...

...will forever strike me with awe, and I think it is due to that transitioning element of seeing things that don't quite add up being thrown into the same melting pot of necessity via combat. Much like an elite force of 300 Hoplites turtling a mountain pass against insurmountable odds, a cavalry man shouldering a rifle while opting to wield a spear in the midsts of a potential chemical attack is quite striking to me.

These guys...

...fighting the same war as these guys...

...just boggles my mind.
AquilaChrysaetos wrote:Don't make mata mad. Or he'll do this:\
Matapiojo
Site Admin

Postby AquilaChrysaetos » Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:04 am

Either Medieval era or the Feudal era in Japan. (not that big on guns)
"Many wish they could be the sun, so the could brighten your day. I wish to be the moon, which shines down upon you on your darkest hour"
AquilaChrysaetos
Organ Grinder

Postby Megaraptor18 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:32 am

I have a few.

Revolutionary Era America has always had a soft spot in my heart. Seeing the hardships my forefathers faced and the determination that they had always warms my heart. Seeing how my country was formed always restrengthen my pride as an American.

The Civil War always has a spot in my heart. A large amount of my family fought in that war (Though my family has fought in majority of the wars America has fought since the Revolution). Most of my family fought for the CSA (mostly in the Virginian and North Carolinian Regiments) so my have an emotional interest into the war. (though the same can be said about the Revolution.)

Also my interest in the war is because it was the first "modern" war or atleast showed the world what it will look like. It was one of those transactional periods in warfare. The Napoleonic Era and tactics were still used but later in the war they became outdated due to weapon development. Though admittedly you can make the case that Napoleonic tactics were outdated at the start of the war given that the range and the effectiveness of rifles increased greatly. At the end of the war it started to look like WWI. The Siege of Petersburg is the clearest example of such.

The Confederates dug a large array of trenches to protect the railway lines that crossed in Petersburg. Petersburg was a critical railroad hub for the Confederates ability to have a quick troop mobility and suppling their army.

Confederate Trenches

WWI Trenches

Now you can see that WWI trenches have been improved from the Civil War counter parts but the Siege of Petersburg was a showcase of things to come in the 20th. Alot of things were introduce in this war. Machine Guns, repeating rifles, rotating turrets on ironclad warships, telegraph, so on and so forth.

The Siege of Petersburg was looking bad for the Union Army so they tried something risky for the time (Though it still is today) they got all of the men who were coalminers before entering the Union Army and had them dig under the Confederate lines and set a massive explosive. The blast created a massive crater in the trench

This is it I think

Well once the crater was made the Union Army charged into the crater and it was called the Battle of the Crater. The Union lost that battle because in the last minute the Regiment that was in charge of the spearhead was replaced with another Regiment. A Regiment that wasn't trained for this type of operation. Why is that you might ask. Because the Regiment that was in charge of the spearhead was ordered not to go into the crater so they trained themselves to go around the crater and clear the trenches around it. Now the Regiment that replace them in that task and was not trained for that operation and their Regimental commander was ordered not to allow his troops go into the crater. Needless to say he not only did not pass that order to his underlings but at the time of the battle as his Regiment moved towards the crater he was far behind Union lines and sat down in a shack and started drinking whiskey. So this leaderless Regiment with no clue that they were ordered not to enter the crater, entered the crater and was quickly surrounded by Confederate troops. By this time the rest of the Union Army flooded into the crater and it became a mosh pit of death. It was a defeat for the North but in the end the North ended up winning the battle but the cost was high.

Now you can see this battle in the movie Cold Mountain

The last one is WWII I was always interested in that war and still learn something new everytime I look it up.
It's only funny until someone gets hurt...then it's hilarious!

Megaraptor18
Site Admin

Postby tau43 » Sat Mar 17, 2012 6:02 pm

Don't know why, but WW2 art just pops at me.
tau43
Zombie Eater

Postby tau43 » Sat Mar 17, 2012 7:40 pm

I also like a futuristic era of warfare.
tau43
Zombie Eater

Next

Return to Art and Culture